Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Tires have a shelf life of a maximum of about 5 years, even if you never put it on a vehicle! And the shelf life is shortened if the tire is not stored properly in a 'stable' environment with the ambient temp that remains within a certain range, has no exposure to direct light, little 'moving air' or breezes, & even has the right sort of shelving so the tire can sit on it the right way!!

All tires are made of several layers (or belts/bands) of various rubber compounds that each 'breathe' over time, & once some of those layers have lost a certain amount of the air-dispensable compounds that start getting lost to the atmosphere from the moment the tire first leaves the mould, the belts of rubber compound that are left behind are a whole different deal to what the tire was designed to run on or what it even needs to work safely on the road; they go hard, lose the ability to provide traction, crack when the tire flexes, won't hold air, & become far more prone to sudden & catastrophic blow-outs & punctures!!
    <snip>
    Just sayin'
    After way less than a year I've noticed my Altimax breaking traction way, way more easily than when it was new. I can be cruising steady in 2nd gear @15-20mph on smooth asphalt and just crack the throttle to make it spin and fishtail for 30-40 feet or so. Once when beginning to pass a semi @ about 40mph in 3rd gear, it spun sideways a bit just from cracking the throttle, not shifting or anything. I dare not open the flues in 1st gear, lest it sit there and melt the tire away!

And I'm carrying only 21-24 psi in this tire. And this only happens ryding single; I haven't tried with 2-up.

Now I don't know, but I've heard tell, that "discount" tire places buy up "old" new tires and dump them at lower prices, just to salvage the inventory. Makes sense to me from a marketing standpoint, I guess.

I don't know how to interpret the sidewall numbers to determine the age of this tire. Perhaps someone here could tell me, and we'll all learn the age of this tire?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

There will be a 4 numeric code on the sidewall somewhere that represents the week number & year of the tire's manufacture - sometimes that number is preceeded by DOT, especially in the UK, EU, & AUS, but I'm not too sure about the US anymore - I haven't kept up with it all since 'retirement'. Buuut, the numeric string of saaay 1814 will mean that your tire was made in the 18th week of 2014. So, check out your tire sidewalls!

While it's generally accepted that tires have a 'safe working life' of 6 years by the bulk of the industry, there are a couple of manufacturers who reckon their tires are good for 10 years. Regardless, here in Aus, it's illegal for a tire retailer to sell tires that any more than 5 years old, so even from the less reputable outlets you will generally get a tire with at least a life expectancy of one year. The 'better places' out there usually err on the side of caution & keep fresh stock all the time, moving the unsold older stuff off to budget outlets or warehouse stores, which means their customers might pay a bit more but they rarely get a tire that's much more than a year old. However, as you've heard, some of the cheap outlets buy up the 'getting close to no longer legal' stock & flog em off at low prices to the unsuspecting public. We also fairly frequently see online scammers who pop up & advertise quality tires but deliver sub-standard or knock-off tires from the dodgier O/seas manufacturers, at least until they start getting a few bad reviews, then they disappear under that name & pop up under a different name, often something close to the name of one of the better know reputable outlets! I'd guess that you probably have at least some of the same or similar low-lives doing business in North America, they tend to work on the basis of there being suckers everywhere & are usually happy enough to rip anyone off! I guess you pay your money & take your chances, which is why I never buy 'cheap tires' or 'cheap brake pads'!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes we do...

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    are you saying that, you have the Kuhmo Ecsta AST? If so, I will be buying one today.
    .... and actually, we have 3 of them. From discount tire direct. No questions asked, when I ordered just 3.....

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peter Aawen: "the numeric string of saaay 1814 will mean that your tire was made in the 18th week of 2014."

Okay, thanks. I found 1015, so it was built mid March 2015. That's even newer than my front tires, which are 0115.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    On 4/26/17 the new Altimax tire reached 17,000 miles, catching up with the retirement age of the Kenda. Let's see how it looks...

I had a tire professional measure the tread and he came up with 65% tread still remaining... That's only 1/3 worn out! When the Kenda was shot.
    You're life span was quite a bit better than mine with the Altimax. I only got about 15k miles and it was shot. However, I think it might be related to driving condition. I ride mostly in the Southwest in higher temperatures and many of the roads are chip sealed.

I am currently trying out a Cooper CS5, which has a harder compound and stiffer sidewall. Once I have some more miles I will post up my observations.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    I just mounted my 2nd Kuhmo. The 1st one got just short of 15,000 miles, as compared to my 2 Kendas that got 8300 each. You have to buy the Kuhmo from eBay. Discount Tire Direct Will interigate you to death and shake you down, makng you feel like a criminal, if you try to buy direct.
    do a search for a vehicle with that size tire,enter that info and order 2 tires .discount tires will put the order right through
    2014 rt-s black,bump skid,baja ron swaybar and shock spring adjusters,rivco highway mounts &pegs and trunk flag holders 2014 900 ace renegade

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ORDERING TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by mob133 View Post
    do a search for a vehicle with that size tire,enter that info and order 2 tires .discount tires will put the order right through
    OR save yourself ALL the Hassles and just buy them on-line like I do ....... the major tire sellers have become the freaking tire police .... so screw-um ...... most times they ship for free and are less $ , on-line ........... jmho .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-04-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    and what size is this? too lazy to look it up.need to get one and put it away.
    have a set of frt kendas on the black rims i can take off when needed. that
    ought to make it till im too old to ride.
    Size of the General that I am running is 215/60R15 on the rear. There is clearance between the top of the tire, and the bottom of the trunk on my 2014RTS-SE6.

The spyder handles fantastic. I had the original kenda tire changed @ 5,824 miles. I now have 10,720 miles on the rear tire, and I still have a lot of tread left. This is will be my 2nd motorcycle season with the General Altimax RT 43 on the rear of the spyder.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue