Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AAA or AMA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    How many insurance companies that are listed in this post are fighting for your rights as a motorcyclist, I see only one, the AMA is the only choice
    Thats all fine and dandy but like Murphybrown said 35 miles won't get you past the first wheat field.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Since I travel out of the way roads mostly. Switched from AAA to Good Sam because AAA limits miles and # of tows per annum. Good Sam does not limit. Have to make sure your coverage is premium or platinum that will cover motorcycle. Do your research for where you live. And the fact that most dealers, for me, are almost 200 miles away. So even tho AMA is a great organization and I belong but IMHO 35 mile tow wouldn't get me past the first wheat field

Good Sam absolutely DOES limit. I had them for 15 years until I used them twice in the same year. They dropped me. Now mind you I only used them a TOTAL of 5 times in 15 years but twice in one year, both for fairly short tows and they dropped coverage.

I am with AARP (Allstate) now. Tows up to 100 miles. And like most a host of other services. They also clearly cover 3 tows a year and simply stop coverage the remainder of the year if you use all three.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the same as you Allstate and AMA never been let down

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have to agree with Dave. I was a member of the AMA long before they offered the road service. They are the major club for protecting our rights as motorcycle riders. There really is no cost for their tow service and I would continue to be a member if thye stopped offering a tow service.. I also have Allstate auto club for long distance towing. About the same price as AAA.

Spyder Garage

I belong to AMA and when I called them about towing I was told as far as the closest authorized repair shop at no charge. Extra if I picked the shop.
    Being in New Mexico there are only 4 shops in the whole state and traveling I was concerned.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Problems With AAA, None With AMA

I've had problems with AAA. Their coverage varies from place to place. In one place, they won't provide a jumpstart, in another, they will. In fact, in some places they'll install a new battery if needed. Once, in Wisconsin, they told me they were sending a truck from a Harley shop (for my Honda). I expressed surprise, they double checked and called back to say that the Harley boys didn't have the right tools for a Honda. The tow truck driver that did come figured out the problem and fixed me up in the motel parking lot!

I initially got the AMA coverage only because I belonged to AMA. Called it once, they towed me to nearest shop I knew of (about 40 miles away). The driver was laughing when he arrived, because his boss wanted him to take the "small tow truck". The driver knew that a Spyder needed the big one - more like a flat bed.

I tried to find out what AAA plan would actually have the same coverage from state to state. Apparently each locale sets their coverage! Big problem, because I went through a period of forgetting my key in in ignition, leaving the lights on to drain the battery. That's why I was checking to see where jump starting was included etc.

That comparison that was posted earlier didn't include the AMA.

Anyway, I'm keeping both at this point.

~Sandee~

PS- I handled the key in the ignition problem by tying the key to me. Can't walk away because I get jerked back.

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

I've heard horror stories of AAA not towing bikes in certain regions. Just because they tow bikes in your own region doesn't mean they will in whatever region you're broken down.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin