Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAA or AMA

Spyder Garage

Default AAA or AMA

Which is better for our as far as towing or any other need we may have AAA or AMA?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you get AAA you need to get the RV coverage or they won't tow your Spyder. You should also inquire as to how far or what dollar limit AMA has and if it will be able to handle a Spyder. Also check out Good Sam Club as I have heard that their coverage is pretty good. I have not had good luck with AAA so I did not renew that coverage. They also have various trip interruption coverage so you will want to compare those too.

The BRP BEST coverage has a pretty low $ limit so it won't get you far. My Progressive Insurance coverage will only get you 14 miles so that is no help unless you happen to break down very close to a dealer.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

AAA does not do m/c, at least not in ny. i have asked them.
    I have my towing thru allstate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a comparison that I found http://roadside-assistance-services-...enreviews.com/
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

My Progressive policy has a $500.00 allowance for roadside assistance/trip interruption. Half the cost of AAA, which only recently added motorcycle towing here in CT.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As AMA specializes in motorcycles, I suspect they would be better for the Spyder. Their coverage also covers all vehicles in your household. We used it for my Granddaughter's car twice last year. In addition to all of the other AMA benefits, I think it is a great benefit.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AMA every time

They will tow anything you have

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Which is better for our as far as towing or any other need we may have AAA or AMA?

Spyder Garage

with all the money we spend on our bikes, we really need AA
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is the AMA info and it states that they will tow up to 35 miles - not too great a benefit. http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...sideassistance
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default AAA vs AMA

I have AAA RV/Motorcycle with 200 miles tow. Of course it is Premium coverage and have be with them for 25 years. But, RV/Motorcycle are a package.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    with all the money we spend on our bikes, we really need AA
    I prefer them, because their Christmas parties are AWESOME!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had AAA Premium several years ago because I thought it would cover every thing. But I found out on a trip to Arizona when my motorcycle trailer spring broke, they don't cover any motorcycle trailers. So now I have through AARP and its cheaper.

Spyder Garage

Default Will anyone answer?

It's AAA for me. I was stranded on a desolate road in a drizzling rain just as it turned dark east of Rockport, TX. I had AAA and some type of Honda Owner's Club coverage, and I called Honda first...and second...and third..

No answer so I fell back on AAA and requested a rig on which to place a GL1800 and Hannigan sidecar. AAA to the rescue for a tow to Corpus Christi, and the driver arranged to have the owner of the Honda dealership met us late at night to put the rig safely into the shop.

Try that on other coverages and let me know how that works for you. I have manufacture towing from Can-Am and Subaru, plus State Farm. I'll stick with AAA.

I do not trust the Spyder and recently upgraded to AAA premiere with motorcycle coverage, giving me 1 200 mile tow and 3 tows of lesser miles, and trip interruption of up to $1500 I believe.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    AAA does not do m/c, at least not in ny. i have asked them.
    I have my towing thru allstate
    I have AAA, and they do tow. You have to have RV coverage to include the spyder, like spyderAnn said. Not towing your spyder in NYS may be due to specific regions of your home policy.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-19-2016 at 04:36 PM.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AARP

I've got my motorcycle insurance thru AARP & I have roadside assistance but not sure what they cover. I'll have to find out when I finally get my new .
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    As AMA specializes in motorcycles, I suspect they would be better for the Spyder. Their coverage also covers all vehicles in your household. We used it for my Granddaughter's car twice last year. In addition to all of the other AMA benefits, I think it is a great benefit.
    I just got my AMA renewal today and they limit towing to 35 miles
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

AMA only covers 35 miles but if you need to go further all you pay for are the extra miles. You won't pay for hookup or that first 35 miles. We used it once for a car breakdown and the cops called a wrecker service to get the car. That towing company didn't deal with AMA so we paid the full bill. It was under 35 miles so we put a claim in with AMA and they fully reimbursed the towing bill in about a week.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    AMA only covers 35 miles but if you need to go further all you pay for are the extra miles. You won't pay for hookup or that first 35 miles. We used it once for a car breakdown and the cops called a wrecker service to get the car. That towing company didn't deal with AMA so we paid the full bill. It was under 35 miles so we put a claim in with AMA and they fully reimbursed the towing bill in about a week.
    AMA is a Bargain and they also tow your car, Or a Jet Ski Trailer Break Down (Blown Bearing) 35 Miles which is a additional PLUS for me because I Jet Ski within 35 miles from my house!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AMA does some great lobbying for our sport. Magazine unfortunately is nothing special.
    I probably shouldn't say this but I've been motorcycling for just over 40 years and never needed a tow or flat bed for any of my vehicles (that includes 2 Spyders, one being a '13). For what that's worth.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    AMA is a Bargain and they also tow your car, Or a Jet Ski Trailer Break Down (Blown Bearing) 35 Miles which is a additional PLUS for me because I Jet Ski within 35 miles from my house!
    I agree, at $49 a year you really can't beat it. AAA with RV was costing us something like $170 a year and still risked being in an area where they didn't tow motorcycles.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Default Good Sam the best

Since I travel out of the way roads mostly. Switched from AAA to Good Sam because AAA limits miles and # of tows per annum. Good Sam does not limit. Have to make sure your coverage is premium or platinum that will cover motorcycle. Do your research for where you live. And the fact that most dealers, for me, are almost 200 miles away. So even tho AMA is a great organization and I belong but IMHO 35 mile tow wouldn't get me past the first wheat field
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How many are on your side ?

How many insurance companies that are listed in this post are fighting for your rights as a motorcyclist, I see only one, the AMA is the only choice

Spyder Garage

check out the good sam roadside service for towing

Spyder Garage

I support AMA for what they do for motorcycling rights. The one time I needed to call them for roadside assistance it was a bust. I had a blowout in Virginia on a Saturday afternoon about 12 miles north of the NC border. I was clueless about what was in the area and whoever they contracted with in the call center couldn't help me because I didn't know where a shop was in the area to be towed to. To be fair, I used to have AAA and years ago when I had car trouble in west Texas they could not help me with a tow. It was going to have to be cash out of pocket until they reimbursed me.

I currently have coverage through Coach-Net which is a competitor of Good Sam. In the RV world discussions of which is better are sort of like oil discussions on bike forums.

Coach-Net gives me unlimited towing to the nearest qualified repair facility (mileage and number of tows). It covers all my vehicles and trailers, also any that I have rented or borrowed. It also gives unlimited lock-out, tire repair, delivery of replacement tires, fluids, etc.

You are the only one who can decide which plan is best for you. Best of luck in your research.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    How many insurance companies that are listed in this post are fighting for your rights as a motorcyclist, I see only one, the AMA is the only choice
    I have to agree with Dave. I was a member of the AMA long before they offered the road service. They are the major club for protecting our rights as motorcycle riders. There really is no cost for their tow service and I would continue to be a member if thye stopped offering a tow service.. I also have Allstate auto club for long distance towing. About the same price as AAA.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze