Spyder Garage

Default Push, Don't Pull

Prior to purchasing my Spyder I had been reading Spyderlovers for some time. As I have stated previously it has been very helpful. One of the items I read said that when turning the Spyder, push the handlebar opposite the direction of the turn rather than pulling the one from the direction of the turn. I post this now because maybe there are some others who are new like me, who will be helped by this. Although I must make a conscious effort to do this, when I do I find my turns, particularly on sweepers are MUCH smoother. It seems that if I pull my turns are not coordinated. When pushing your body automatically leans into the turn. I don't remember who was the original poster but it is good stuff. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I think you need to reread what you have typed and THNIK about it "opposite the direction".
    You are talking about (what you typed) counter steering which does not exist on a three wheel vehicle.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingman View Post
    Prior to purchasing my Spyder I had been reading Spyderlovers for some time. As I have stated previously it has been very helpful. One of the items I read said that when turning the Spyder, push the handlebar opposite the direction of the turn rather than pulling the one from the direction of the turn. I post this now because maybe there are some others who are new like me, who will be helped by this. Although I must make a conscious effort to do this, when I do I find my turns, particularly on sweepers are MUCH smoother. It seems that if I pull my turns are not coordinated. When pushing your body automatically leans into the turn. I don't remember who was the original poster but it is good stuff. Thanks.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    I think you need to reread what you have typed and THNIK about it "opposite the direction".
    You are talking about (what you typed) counter steering which does not exist on a three wheel vehicle.

AJ
    Maybe you should re-read and think. The way I read it is, he is saying if turning left push on the right-hand bar rather than pull on the left-hand bar, and the opposite if turning right. Here is what I know, one of us might be wrong.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

You are referring to ...when going into a left turn dropping your right elbow to assist while pushing with your right arm and shoulder and the opposite for right hand turns you are right. it makes it so much easier and smoother....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You are very correct in this. It is not "counter steering" but simply-- if turning to the left push with a stiff arm on the right handle bar. Much less effort and your turns are much smoother. Vice versa when making a right turn push with a stiff arm on the left handle bar.

Harvey from Spyder Pops taught me this and it made a world of difference when riding the Spyder. It takes a little to learn this but it does work well. Of course pull a little on the handle bar in the direction of the turn. Most of the turning force is actually applied to the almost straight arm on the opposite side of the turn. You will be much more stable in the turn with no twitching. Momma will appreciate this!

Counter Steering as we used in my younger days of racing is much different. As you lean forward, transfer weight forward lean into and "kiss" the mirror in the direction of the turn a little counter steering is used to offset the natural tendency of a two wheel leaner to dive into and increase the turn even more. A little counter steering in the opposite direction will over come this. You would never use a stiff arm here!

You can take this to the Bank. Thanks Harvey!

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 05-19-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

They got you covered. Counter steering is turning the handlebars in the "opposite" direction of the turn. A requirement on two wheels.

The requires the bars to be turned in the direction of the turn. I use a push/pull on the bars to accomplish this. Gentle, gentle, gentle and the turns are clean and effortless.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

On a three wheeler I used to counter steer into and through a corner....and still do...when the two tires are on the rear not on the front...

Here's an example....
    Last edited by Synthetic; 05-19-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post

AJ

The OP is correct, and it works great.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    On a three wheeler I used to counter steer into and through a corner....and still do...when the two tires are on the rear not on the front...
    I do not see any counter steering in any of the videos. What the riders are doing is normal steering to control a skid. When you point the front wheel in the direction you want to go that is normal steering. When you point the front wheel in the opposite direction of the desired turn that is counter steering. Whether you are pushing or pulling a handle bar has nothing to do with counter steering. What matters is the direction in which the front wheel is pointed.

Skip H
    ELyria, OH

Spyder Garage

Jaherbst, thanks for your understanding. Counter steering is using gyroscopic force. You apply force on the handlebar in the direction of the turn. A force applied to a rotating mass responds with equal force but opposite direction 90 degrees in direction of rotation from the applied force. LOL This has nothing to do with my original statement. I am simply meaning to turn the handlebar by pushing the handlebar instead of pulling. For me it results in a much smoother turn.

Spyder Garage

Jaherbst, thanks for your understanding. Counter steering is using gyroscopic force. You apply force on the handlebar in the direction of the turn. A force applied to a rotating mass responds with equal force but opposite direction 90 degrees in direction of rotation from the applied force. LOL This has nothing to do with my original statement. I am simply meaning to turn the handlebar by pushing the handlebar instead of pulling. For me it results in a much smoother turn.
    Centripetal vs Centrifugal forces here and we are controlling them by counter steering on a Leaner or

two Wheels.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick