Thread: Smooth Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Smooth Spyder

For those that have installed the smooth spyder tensioner , What are you setting belt tension to before the installation and where are you setting the tensioner. I'm going to readjust in the morning with my pillion on board as recommended but there is a S#%t ton of leeway between old spec and new spec along with the preload setting. Right now I'm at approx 230 on the crikit with the tension set at 12lbs but I still have quite a bit of vibration at various speeds. TIA.

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure...

Well as to which model you have and recommend tension for that model. Having a 2012 RS sm5 I am running around 200 mostly looser. The tensioner is at around 13 lbs but I don't see it affecting the tension as much as picking up the slack in the lower run. Pulls the the belt tight to the front and rear sproket this will not tighten the upper run where you measure the tension. It will not take out all vibrations but does help a lot. Some vibrations are not belt related. ..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    For those that have installed the smooth spyder tensioner , What are you setting belt tension to before the installation and where are you setting the tensioner. I'm going to readjust in the morning with my pillion on board as recommended but there is a S#%t ton of leeway between old spec and new spec along with the preload setting. Right now I'm at approx 230 on the crikit with the tension set at 12lbs but I still have quite a bit of vibration at various speeds. TIA.
    2010 RTS-SM5
    190lbs, cricket, then, 10 lbs tension on smooth spyder.
    check belt alignment also
    1. Check fluids & tire pressures.
    2. Start bike.
    3. Hold on.
    4. Full throttle.
    5. Repeat 3-5.