Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default steve from brp answered

the questions about the dess issues on the bike. i answered him, and don't want anyone to miss what he said. so i figured i would let you know. now he said brp doesn't support the idea of turning the system off, i told him i would sign a paper tell them that i don't mind them turning it off. if you feel the same, got to the tread and let him know. if we get enough people to say to turn it off, they might do it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Yes he did and he gave us the expected BS line about the problem is solved when it is not. The new and improved DESS module is the way to go except some of our members have already experienced failures with the latest module from BRP. Take a look at the thread started by Deanna and look at post #360 and read from that point. Sorry BRP but the BS isn't playing for this kid. Hate to be an A$$ hole but the party is over I have notified DOT about this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sam,
    Sorry; but I've got to ask this (again)...
    Have you actually had a DESS failure on your bike?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sam,
    Sorry; but I've got to ask this (again)...
    Have you actually had a DESS failure on your bike?
    Bob

As I replied to you in the PM that you sent me and as I said in my for sale post " I have NOT had a failure" yet, my concern is that I will be on the road and it will take a dump. Am I being overly concerned and am I making an issue out of this, maybe but in reading the amount of problems with this system if my efforts to force BRP to correct the problem save one owner having to deal with a problem it will make my day. I'm sorry but we have paid serious $$$$ for these vehicles and BRP has sold us an inferior product. I'm not asking them to do anything but to fix the problem that they created. I get it that the die hard Can Am owners may want to bow down to the Spyder Gods and not call them out for a defective product, me I don't care. Fix it or I will be your worst Nightmare. I'm not looking for anything but a reliable machine, that's what BRP advertised and that's what we paid for. They took our money now deliver the goods, simple.

Spyder Garage

lets not argue here people, i only posted this so the people interested would see that steve posted
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

You are over reacting because most of us have not had a problem.
    cars have just a many problems.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REALLY

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    And if it happens to you, and you are 500 miles from home, in some strange place,.................Then please come back and tell us HOW THIS WAS NOT A PROBLEM ............Thank,you for your input ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    lets not argue here people, i only posted this so the people interested would see that steve posted
    For the record I think the people here on SL are absolutely the best. I have no desire to cause problems. My only reason for commenting is to get BRP to fix a problem that they created and that we are dealing with. Is it a serious danger, no, is it a life altering issue, no, can it cause you inconvenience, yes. We were sold something that is defective, all I'm asking for is for the OEM to correct the problem. Simple you got my money just deliver what you promised no big deal. I'm sorry if any of you feel that I am over reacting. My intent is not to cause problems for anyone. I'm only trying to help the members of this forum. As to overreacting as I have said before "I have not had a problem"..........yet. That said I have no plans on going on a long ride with the somewhat likelihood possibility of having a problem. Feel free to call me overly concerned. If my concerns help to save one of you the problems from being stranded on the side of the road in east bum f--k so be it.

If I'm out of line the Admin can simply remove me as a member and delete my posts.
    Last edited by Sam Mac; 05-18-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just wanted to thank Cuz for this post. I, like most of you, haven't had this issue pop up yet but have been following the DESS post very closely. I appreciate the heads up you gave us that Steve replied. Some of us might have missed it.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Sir, you are totally mistaken, if cars had this type of problem at the same rate as here, there would be dead dealers.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    For the record I think the people here on SL are absolutely the best. I have no desire to cause problems. My only reason for commenting is to get BRP to fix a problem that they created and that we are dealing with. Is it a serious danger, no, is it a life altering issue, no, can it cause you inconvenience, yes. We were sold something that is defective, all I'm asking for is for the OEM to correct the problem. Simple you got my money just deliver what you promised no big deal. I'm sorry if any of you feel that I am over reacting. My intent is not to cause problems for anyone. I'm only trying to help the members of this forum. As to overreacting as I have said before "I have not had a problem"..........yet. That said I have no plans on going on a long ride with the somewhat likelihood possibility of having a problem. Feel free to call me overly concerned. If my concerns help to save one of you the problems from being stranded on the side of the road in east bum f--k so be it.

If I'm out of line the Admin can simply remove me as a member and delete my posts.
    I have over 75,000 miles on my 2014 RTS SM-6 and I've never had a DESS issue nor do I have any fear of having one or being stranded. Yes you are definitely over reacting and I imagine that you never venture too far from home in any mode of transportation for fear that something could go wrong.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only point that I wished to make: If you haven't had the problem; identify yourself as one of the lucky ones, and offer support for those who have been so afflicted.
    I've been pretty clear that I have no dog in this fight, but am interested in seeing what ends up being done to correct it.
    Not every issue requires that the "Bastille be stormed", and not every fire is a six-alarm, multi-Company disaster...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The only point that I wished to make: If you haven't had the problem; identify yourself as one of the lucky ones, and offer support for those who have been so afflicted.
    I've been pretty clear that I have no dog in this fight, but am interested in seeing what ends up being done to correct it.
    Not every issue requires that the "Bastille be stormed", and not every fire is a six-alarm, multi-Company disaster...
    Well put.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So far(keeping my fingers and toes crossed) I'm one of the lucky ones.

Shame on me. I forgot to say "THANKS" to cuznjohn for letting SLs know that Steve answered.
    Last edited by MikeT; 05-19-2016 at 07:14 AM.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

i also have said before, that i have not had the problem also. but i don't ride as much as others do, nor do i ever get very far from home. i would hate to be stuck somewhere, but i can't worry about it every time i go out
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default DESS error

I have read all the posts about DESS error. I for one have had this problem. Dealer had to order the part and then make an appointment to get it changed out. Spyder was operational during this time, but I think I was lucky. I for one would like to have BRP get a permanent fix for this problem and be done with it.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

MelloYelloSpyder

WRONG. My Spyder cost about 3 grand more than my car. My car has been in the shop zero time (knock on wood) other than for oil changes. I have put almost 33k on my car in that time. Spyder as of this writing (it is in the shop now) is on its third trip to the shop for repairs. Mileage put on the Spyder to date is about 4800 miles.

For the cost of these things they should not have this many problems..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I have over 75,000 miles on my 2014 RTS SM-6 and I've never had a DESS issue nor do I have any fear of having one or being stranded. Yes you are definitely over reacting and I imagine that you never venture too far from home in any mode of transportation for fear that something could go wrong.
    SpyderAnn

I'm glad that you have not had a DESS problem. As I said I have not had a problem, yet. Hope I never do. As for venturing far from home, no fear with my Toyota. Never had a concern with the BMW S1000RR, Harley Night Rod or the Harley Road Glide that I owned before buying the RTL . I'll shut up now and just see what plays out.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTS and 24,000 miles and no problems what so ever and not concerned about
    taking a long trip anywhere with it. It has been one of the best bikes I have owned in a while!
    But for the ones with this problem I hope BRP gets it worked out soon. I know what it's like to
    not trust a motorcycle as my 2010 RTS was a problem child and I parted company with it after
    5 months and 5400 miles.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ours is a 2014 RTS and has not had a DESS error. I have done several long trips on it and will do more.
    Yes I could have the problem occur and it would be a pain if it did but I'm not going to let the possibility of any problem stop me from doing long trips. Any number of things could occur while on a trip to disrupt it. ***** happens.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Just the way I think

Have not had this problem because I have a 2013 that I bought a year ago this week. But I must say that as much as I like my RTLtd. If I was going out to buy a new bike right now I would be giving serious consideration to something other than a Spyder because I don't see any real attempt to solve the problem. I've read where people have had multiples of this problem and I remember reading one where it cost the Spyder Owner a $531 tow. This is the type of thing that can be the downfall of a company because the more people read about this the more they will question BRP's Dedication to providing a top of the line product and the desire to do what they must to satisfy their customer base. So Steve, take it to the people who make the decisions and tell them they may escape spending what they should now but loose a lot more in the future.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Okay, I'm going to say shame on me for this post. I remember when we were having the 2013 RT recall issues and I know it ticked me off when people thought it wasn't a big deal. I will say that I do agree that BRP needs to fix the DESS issue once and for all and for those who have had this issue it is a big deal. But in my opinion it isn't something that should cause anyone to sell their Spyder just so they don't get stranded or never travel far from home in case it happens to them. I think you are much more likely to get stranded by simply losing your keys or getting a flat tire than you are to get stuck with a DESS error. So get out there and ride, I know I will!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    the questions about the dess issues on the bike. i answered him, and don't want anyone to miss what he said. so i figured i would let you know. now he said brp doesn't support the idea of turning the system off, i told him i would sign a paper tell them that i don't mind them turning it off. if you feel the same, got to the tread and let him know. if we get enough people to say to turn it off, they might do it
    Maybe I'm missing something here but what was Steve's (from BRP) response? Other than BRP doesn't support the idea of disabling? Was it a PM or a post? 2015 RTSS and 2015 ST-L with no DESS issues but my wife and I are planning long road trips to see the Nat. Parks.

Spyder Garage

To the OP I'm sorry if I Hijacked your thread. I'll accept Steve's word that they have it fixed, I'll drink the cool aid and I'll just ride blissfully off into the sunset.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garageguy View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here but what was Steve's (from BRP) response? Other than BRP doesn't support the idea of disabling? Was it a PM or a post? 2015 RTSS and 2015 ST-L with no DESS issues but my wife and I are planning long road trips to see the Nat. Parks.
    this is what steve said

Hi everyone,

We've been following this thread closely and I wanted to make sure I got the right information before posting here.
    Here are the facts:

• The system works as follows: When the vehicle is started, the DESS module looks for a signal from the key, relayed to it via the antenna (which is just an extension of the module itself). Then, the DESS module lets the ECM know that the proper, authenticated key is present and matches the ECM, and the vehicle can be operated.
    • There are different possible causes for a DESS error, and different ways for the error to manifest itself. For the vast majority of cases we've seen, neither the ignition, antenna or ECM needed to be replaced. For folks who did experience a DESS issue, replacing the DESS module itself to the latest part number is the appropriate fix.
    • If, somehow, you've had a DESS failure after having the DESS module replaced to the newest part number (that occurred more than once, was not due to interference, etc), it could point to an error in one of the other aforementioned systems. Your dealer can diagnose it for you, look up any error codes and if needed our techs will assist them.
    • For obvious reasons, BRP doesn't recommend nor support disabling of the DESS system.

Steve can't answer unless the higher ups give him something to say, and I'm sure he is reading what is posted on SL's, and relaying it on.

Incorrect. If I don't respond right away, it's to make sure I have all the facts straight so that I don't provide any misinformation.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME