Thread: break pads

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default break pads

Hi guys... today I wanted to go for a long trip when I found out than my break pads on F3s are gone... I did about 14.000km so that is less then 10.000miles i think.
    Okie I am fat - so extra weight and I do drive like an idiot, and maybe some of you saw my video how I am on race track in Brno.. so no surprise, they are dead.. but what about yours? how often do you change them?? how many miles they can do... just curious if I am really that heavy "breaker"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you need front and rear pads? The rear typically go long before the fronts do on Spyders. But 14,000 km sounds way too soon for front pads.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 05-17-2016 at 01:55 PM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default front

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Did you need front and rear pads? The rear typically go long before the fronts do on Spyders. But 14,000 km sounds way too soon for front pads.
    just front are gone... but as I said, i do drive like crazy, up the hill racing... now the circuit.. ahhhh... but I was really surprised.. i also scratched the break discs a bit..
    this is my stile of driving
    https://youtu.be/_e4zL8m3NJo

Spyder Garage

I used to burn up a set of pads on my race car/truck in 5-6 hours at Watkins Glen. Me in front.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Just keep buying new pads......that looks like fun Thanks for posting the link to the videos.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Brake pads wearing out are just a part of enjoying your Spyder!!

Which end wears out first is very much dependent upon how & where you ride. Now admittedly my Spyder is a 2013 RT & not an F3, but still, I do ride it fairly hard as my 'daily ride' in the local (steep & twisty) hills & also do some long & fairly fast rides here in Oz, resulting in my first set of front pads being worn out at about 12,000 km, with the rear pads lasting about 16,000 km before needing replacing. The second set of front pads lasted a little longer than the first, but I recently fitted my third set of front pads & yet I'm still only on my second set of rears....

As to why this can vary so much between riders & conditions, you need to remember that even if you don't notice it happening, the 'Nanny' is going to be doing her thing every single time you apply the brakes - that's part of what Electronic Brake Distribution means & does! EBD works tirelessly to make sure that your braking is as effective as it can be, & to do this it adjusts the application effort on each disc according to how hard/fast you've hit the pedal & the info being fed back from the wheel sensors & all the other stability sensors on your Spyder, all of which means the 'Nanny' applies the brakes most on whichever brake/disc needs it most to slow you down in straight line (or by matching your steering input thru a curve) & in a direct proportion to how hard you've stood on the pedal. So if you are riding your Spyder hard & trying to go faster by braking later & harder before a corner, then yeah, your front pads will wear out quicker just like yours (& mine) have!!

I'm pretty sure that if you were riding your Spyder gentler & slower, braking gently & much earlier before corners, & never trailing your brake thru a turn or ever giving the brakes a hard stab to correct your line as you change direction from one turn to the next will almost certainly see your brake pads all round last longer. And if you do that, then because you will have maximised the distance your brakes get to work at slowing you down & minimised the need for more effort to be directed by the EBD & the Nanny into front end braking, then your rear pads will probably do proportionally more of the work. Since there's just one set of them vs the two discs & sets of pads up front, that means the rear pads are likely to wear quicker under those conditions.... But just between you'n me, where's the fun in that!!

Enjoy!!

Spyder Garage

Default THANX!!!

@Peter Aawen - thanx for big effort to explain the thing.. I will double check the rear break pads, just in case.
    @Sam Mac - WoW one day... one day i want to have a fun car like yours.. that is awesome!!!
    @Big Arm - thanx

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    @Peter Aawen - thanx for big effort to explain the thing.. I will double check the rear break pads, just in case.
    @Sam Mac - WoW one day... one day i want to have a fun car like yours.. that is awesome!!!
    @Big Arm - thanx
    Many people replace their brake pads too soon. The wear limit is 1mm (about 3/4 the width of a dime). But if you've put scratches in your rotor this is probably not the case in your situation. Unless the scratches are severe, they should not pose a problem.

There are pads that will not only stop and resist fade better than the OEM uints, but also last longer.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everything is this life is RELATIVE , the more you drive the more you logged mileage in your odometer, the more you use your brakes the more pad wears. The more you drink alcohol and drink you'll get DWI. enough said.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default use and abuse

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Many people replace their brake pads too soon. The wear limit is 1mm (about 3/4 the width of a dime). But if you've put scratches in your rotor this is probably not the case in your situation. Unless the scratches are severe, they should not pose a problem.

There are pads that will not only stop and resist fade better than the OEM uints, but also last longer.
    I think I did use it to maximum, really was driving back to dealer with iron to iron breaking.. so the are done but after I will be back from vacation, I will do investigation, what will be the better option.
    i already hear about BAJRON selling something.. so will do screening

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE PADS

with Ron, my 2014 RT, had 18,000 miles and when I checked the Pads weren't half worn....and ride HOT most of the time.........I am wondering if your's were " dragging ", so to speak.......Did you ever check the calipers for HEAT ??????.....just a thought........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default hmmm

By dragging you mean, they are slightly touching the disks all the time? and that cause the heat and quicker worn.. hmm good point.. I mean all the time I hear "that" touchi noise when for example pulling off the bike out of garage.. but dealer sais its normal.. hmmm curious now... will have a closer eye on it. thanx!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    with Ron, my 2014 RT, had 18,000 miles and when I checked the Pads weren't half worn....and ride HOT most of the time.........I am wondering if your's were " dragging ", so to speak.......Did you ever check the calipers for HEAT ??????.....just a thought........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    By dragging you mean, they are slightly touching the disks all the time? and that cause the heat and quicker worn.. hmm good point.. I mean all the time I hear "that" touchi noise when for example pulling off the bike out of garage.. but dealer sais its normal.. hmmm curious now... will have a closer eye on it. thanx!!!
    Disk brakes are designed for the pads to be touching (Slightly) the rotors at all times. They do not retract like drum brakes. But they should not be touching enough to generate heat. The easiest way to check is to lift the Spyder and spin the wheels. The fronts should spin easily with virtually zero friction from the brake pads. The rear is a different story because of the drive belt. But you should be able to tell by moving the wheel forward and back while watching the pads to see if there is any binding on the rotor.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default thanx

Disk brakes are designed for the pads to be touching (Slightly) the rotors at all times. They do not retract like drum brakes. But they should not be touching enough to generate heat. The easiest way to check is to lift the Spyder and spin the wheels. The fronts should spin easily with virtually zero friction from the brake pads. The rear is a different story because of the drive belt. But you should be able to tell by moving the wheel forward and back while watching the pads to see if there is any binding on the rotor.
    thanx man, will check as you said.. Martin

Spyder Garage

Default You Asked....

On my RS I have 34,000 on all pads and still within limits. I ryde two up and agressively but do have a manual and use engine compression for most of the braking. The other thing is we have the older brakes. But it will depend on many factors as to how long they last. Soooo change them and get back out there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default pads

just got mine back from the shop. 22,000 mile front pads had the rear replaced at 17000.