Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Thanks JG......I'm only a midget at 6'7" and 310 , but........I am currently trying to choose between an F3 Limited and an RT Limited in a move from 2 wheels......unfortunately, I can't afford both.

I am taking a demo F3 for a run next week, but from what you are saying, even the extended position does not make the F3 any more comfortable on a reasonable (say 300mile) trip. I am coming from a Victory Vision that I can do 500mile days on with no problems because of the large boards, forward controls and highway pegs, plus no buffeting. Like you, I also have "basketball" knees...

I would prefer the comfort of the RT for the reasons you have given, but having sat on the RT, even with the comfort seat, I can't see how long legs (37" inleg) wouldn't seize up on long trips, and how you can bend your foot up far enough to use the brake pedal. Are you using anything special like a brake pedal extension, Seal floorboards etc?

Pete
    All you guys from Oz are tall, never met one less than 6'5".
    I just sold my Victory Cross Country Tour and I am mighty familiar with the comfort a tall guy can get on a Vic. The Feet forward feeling goes along with the F3, the long floorboards- more like the RT.
    I use a brake pedal extension from ISCI- just makes for a bigger target for my size 16 feet- I find myself kicking the bodywork many a time when going to brake and I would actually miss the smaller( OE) pedal. There's no getting around the legroom issue. I want more than either RT or F3 provides and the knee angles are much different. For the long legged it's a toss up.

I just came back from a 3 day 800 mile jaunt in the Adirondacks on the RT. It was really excellent. I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly so much on the F3-S. I had some issues with discomfort but that had more to do with me medically than with the machinery. Having the great wind protection, also rain protection, Triaxial bars that I moved every day, and the electrical uppy downy windshield all makes for a very tolerable day of riding.

I would not enjoy that same ride as much on the F3-S. The F3-S sure is fun though...

Spyder Garage

Smile

Hi I have only had the F3 Special for about a month and have gone out a couple times with my wife. She says she is pretty comfortable. Biggest complaint was she felt like she was leaning forward into me and the seat needs more cushion in the front. We have the bolt on adjustable back rest and are pretty comfortable riding together. Much better then the old Yamaha 750 we had years and years ago.

Looking forward to many riding seasons.

2016 Spyder F3 Limited Special Series

Spyder Garage

My wife IS my backrest .

At 6'3, 350+ lbs and my wife being somewhat plus-sized, too, we're making the F3T work. I have already replaced the sway bar, though and am anticipating replacing the front shocks too. The F3T has an air-adjustable rear shock and the same swingarm of the RT so I'm leaving that be for now.

-B

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    If you have not done so, I suggest you test ride the F3T first before deciding to switch. I ride a 2015 RTLtd with the stock factory seat. Sierra Cycles provided me the opportunity to spend the day on a F3T a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed the ride but was happy to go back to my RT. There's nothing wrong with the F3T, just different. Here's what I discovered:
    • Heat on my legs that I don't ever feel on my RT.
    • Much more wind, particularly on my legs and arms. I found this tiring as the day went on.
    • I have the triaxis bars on my RT. The bars on this F3T created pain between my shoulders, same as the RT without triaxis bars.
    • The steering on the F3T seemed more direct. I know the standard F3 does not have power assist; perhaps the F3T does not either. To my surprise I enjoy the comfort of power assist; again less tiring.
    • Much less storage on the F3T.
    • I can not speak to a passenger, but I suspect less comfortable.

The best,
    Rob
    All F3s have power-assisted steering.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgwoods View Post
    I use a brake pedal extension from ISCI- just makes for a bigger target for my size 16 feet. There's no getting around the legroom issue. I want more than either RT or F3 provides and the knee angles are much different. For the long legged it's a toss up.

I just came back from a 3 day 800 mile jaunt in the Adirondacks on the RT. It was really excellent. I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly so much on the F3-S. I had some issues with discomfort but that had more to do with me medically than with the machinery.
    Thanks JG.....if I went with the RT, I would have to go with a "tall" seat, and the Seal floorboards and brake pedal extension. This would allow me to ride with my feet on the upturned part of the Seal board, and brake with my heel. My concern then would be my ankles being cooked by the side vents on the newer models. I'll do some RT "measuring" when I go to the showroom for my F3 Limited test ride......maybe I can talk them into putting a tall seat on the RT demo for me.....

So you just leave your feet on the stock floorboards for the entire trip? Can you walk when you get off?

I used to be tall by Aussie standards, but in my last game of b'ball in the eighties, I was equal shortest on the court at one stage as we had a 6'7" American point guard, 6'9" and 6'10 forwards and an American centre who was right on 7'........I figured it was time to retire
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT S special or 2016 RT Limited

It looks like I'll be going with the RT, albeit with an Ultimate tall boy seat, Seal boards and forward brake pedal.
    The dealer has a new 2016 RT Limited and a new 2015 RT Special (the one with the plum coloured seat) on the floor.
    The RT-L is $42k Aussie on the road, and the RT Special is now reduced to $35k on the road. The sales guy claims there is no difference between the 2 apart from things like wheels, Garmin Zumo and the luggage for the front on the RT-L.
    If that is the case, I'd like to go with the 2015 RT Special for obvious reasons. (It will cover the cost of seat, boards, screen, Garmin and a couple of other farkles)
    Any reason I shouldn't go with the 2015 RT Special model that anyone is aware of?
    Pete
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Floorboards

Not to say anything negative about the Seal Boards because I have never even seen them, but the BRP boarders are really nice and functional. They even have a breakaway function for panic stops. The only reason not to go with the RT special series is the shorty windshield. You have stated that you are tall, and that windshield is not! You will have 60 mile per hour gale force winds hitting you in the chest! So you will need a new windshield. You would be better off with an RTL.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Not to say anything negative about the Seal Boards because I have never even seen them, but the BRP boarders are really nice and functional. They even have a breakaway function for panic stops. The only reason not to go with the RT special series is the shorty windshield. You have stated that you are tall, and that windshield is not! You will have 60 mile per hour gale force winds hitting you in the chest! So you will need a new windshield. You would be better off with an RTL.
    Thanks Pirate......The BRP boards don't go far enough forward. See photo of Seal boards below.
    I'm not quite sure why you say I would be better off with the RTL over the special. If it is simply for the shorty windshield, the the cost of a new tall shield is well and truly covered by the $7k savings on the 2015 Special over the 2016 RTL ?
    Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images