Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3T vs RT Limited - 2-up riding

I currently have a 2014 RT Limited that my wife and I ride. Our touring is 2-3 trips per year, pulling a trailer. Each trip spans 4-5 days and generally covers about 1000 miles. The rest of the miles we put on are usually day trips of 150-200 miles max, sometimes just around 100 miles and a few hours in length. I have a Calsci windshield and Ultimate mid-rider seat on the RT and both work very well. I'm intrigued by the F3T and am wondering if anyone has made the switch from the RT and has about the same riding style as we do. I'm looking for a little more leg room and the ability to stretch out some, my wife would like a little more room on the back. I would probably just add some floorboards to the F3T and a passenger adjustable backrest. Any thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edbremer View Post
    I currently have a 2014 RT Limited that my wife and I ride. Our touring is 2-3 trips per year, pulling a trailer. Each trip spans 4-5 days and generally covers about 1000 miles. The rest of the miles we put on are usually day trips of 150-200 miles max, sometimes just around 100 miles and a few hours in length. I have a Calsci windshield and Ultimate mid-rider seat on the RT and both work very well. I'm intrigued by the F3T and am wondering if anyone has made the switch from the RT and has about the same riding style as we do. I'm looking for a little more leg room and the ability to stretch out some, my wife would like a little more room on the back. I would probably just add some floorboards to the F3T and a passenger adjustable backrest. Any thoughts?
    I'm in the process of changing from a 2014 RT Limited to a 2016 F3 Limited. Everyone I've talked with says the only negative is less storage. Keep in mind they all ride one-up (me too). I pull a trailer almost all the time.

Have you tried highway pegs on your RT Limited? I had them on mine and they really helped with stretching out. If nothing else, you should both take a test ride on an F3T and see if you like it. Your wife may or may not like the feeling. I can only imagine it would be a less secure feeling, for your wife, on the back of an F3.

My wife used to ride with me. She now rides her own RT-S. If you can swing that, that may be the route to go.

Good luck.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never ridden as a passenger on either, but I've owned both. I think a passenger backrest would be essential for 2-up riding on an F3T or F3L. You really don't want the wife rolling off the back!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I haven't owned an RT, but I can tell you that the space for a passenger on the F3 with 2 backrests is pretty tight.

I'm with Copperman - get her her own Spyder if there's any way to swing it. I can't imagine not having my own ride now...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I've never ridden as a passenger on either, but I've owned both. I think a passenger backrest would be essential for 2-up riding on an F3T or F3L. You really don't want the wife rolling off the back!
    Especially if your wife has a tendency to fall asleep on long rides.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Especially if your wife has a tendency to fall asleep on long rides.

I'll try to get you a better pic later, but here is my bike with 2 backrests... cozy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Wife and I are doing the switch from RTS to F3Limited. Less storage is the easy one to see. We used to tour with our other bikes. Always pulled a trailer as well. For the last year we have trailered the RTS for long distance events. Our bags only had sweatshirts, tools, tire fix kit, compressor, etc.. Basically nothing much in them. Used the RTS for day trips. To combat the lack of storage on the F3T or the Limited. Get a trailer hitch. Put a rack on the back to add an extra bag. Mike has a nice set up on his RT. We will be doing this also. That reminds me. Need to get a hold of Mike. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Backrest and Seat

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I think a passenger backrest would be essential for 2-up riding on an F3T or F3L. You really don't want the wife rolling off the back!
    Absolutely true.

I regularly and readily ride behind my wife on our F3 and the backrest does a great job on acceleration, especially. Patti insists on having it on the very rare occasions she lets me steer. ;-)

We have a Corbin dual seat and the pillion section is very good, very comfortable and about 2" higher than the oem seat, which lets you stretch your legs out more.

The rider's portion is not so good for me - it is scooped and and set firther back. It would be ideal for a big person but with a 36" bottom (Hey, I wear 36" pants) i found it uncomfortable and too far back. Maybe they will get it right for us on the third attempt?

Spyder Garage

Default Better test ride the F3T first

If you have not done so, I suggest you test ride the F3T first before deciding to switch. I ride a 2015 RTLtd with the stock factory seat. Sierra Cycles provided me the opportunity to spend the day on a F3T a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed the ride but was happy to go back to my RT. There's nothing wrong with the F3T, just different. Here's what I discovered:
    • Heat on my legs that I don't ever feel on my RT.
    • Much more wind, particularly on my legs and arms. I found this tiring as the day went on.
    • I have the triaxis bars on my RT. The bars on this F3T created pain between my shoulders, same as the RT without triaxis bars.
    • The steering on the F3T seemed more direct. I know the standard F3 does not have power assist; perhaps the F3T does not either. To my surprise I enjoy the comfort of power assist; again less tiring.
    • Much less storage on the F3T.
    • I can not speak to a passenger, but I suspect less comfortable.

The best,
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everybody's backside has different needs; but the pillion pad on the F3 models cannot be compared to the rear bucket on the RT models.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation RT vs. F3 Limited

I currently have a 2014 RT Lim and a 2016 F3 Limited. For pure comfort in riding more than appx 100m, I prefer the RT, significantly. The F3's UFIT does seem like a good idea and probably has some usefulness in significant physiological differences, i.e. 6'3" vice 5'6", for example. I have the comfort seat on the RT for the 2" extra and like that enough to not spend $1500 on an Ultimate. They are nice though.

The RT's electronically adjustable air-ride suspension is not carried over to the F3. The other major loss from the RT to F3 is the excellent frontal protection of the RT's fairing and adjustable windshield, especially in a sudden rain storm, for protection. I have put the Tall Boy windshield on the F3 and it helped but you still get a lot of wind buffeting. Above 65mph, my helmet tries to lift off on the F3 but not on the RT.

Basically to sum up, the F3 Lim is as much like riding a two-wheeler Harley as you can experience with the stability of 3-wheels. The RT is simply more comfortable for an old dude like me, 75yo - 240#, and the F3 is much sportier. I love them both but more that two hours on the F3 and I am completely worn out.

Spyder Garage

We gave up our ST for the F3 Limited. I can ride all day less wind for the driver than my ST. I am also surprised that my wife is real comfortable on the back. The seat for her is not quite as comfy as the Ultimate seat we had on our ST but she has not complained and she said it is getting better along the way, softening up a bit. She does get more wind as she now sits higher than me but she is getting used to it. We do have the driver & passenger backrest also. There is also more room in the back for the passenger than our ST and more room than the RT's we have ridden.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    We gave up our ST for the F3 Limited. I can ride all day less wind for the driver than my ST. I am also surprised that my wife is real comfortable on the back. The seat for her is not quite as comfy as the Ultimate seat we had on our ST but she has not complained and she said it is getting better along the way, softening up a bit. She does get more wind as she now sits higher than me but she is getting used to it. We do have the driver & passenger backrest also. There is also more room in the back for the passenger than our ST and more room than the RT's we have ridden.
    Are you using the Can Am adjustable backrest for the passenger? It is supposed to provide more adjustability, which I assume adds to passenger room.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I'm in the process of changing from a 2014 RT Limited to a 2016 F3 Limited. Everyone I've talked with says the only negative is less storage. Keep in mind they all ride one-up (me too). I pull a trailer almost all the time.

Have you tried highway pegs on your RT Limited? I had them on mine and they really helped with stretching out. If nothing else, you should both take a test ride on an F3T and see if you like it. Your wife may or may not like the feeling. I can only imagine it would be a less secure feeling, for your wife, on the back of an F3.

My wife used to ride with me. She now rides her own RT-S. If you can swing that, that may be the route to go.

Good luck.
    I've had the highway pegs on a previous RT and they don't give me ability to stretch out that I'm looking for.

Spyder Garage

My nickle's worth, I own both:

The seating area for the driver on the F3 is far superior to the RT at least for my body.
    Passenger seating on the RT is much more comfortable for the passenger (especially with arm rests like the ones from Diamond R)
    Also, the sound system for the passenger is superior on the RT.

The F3 is akin to driving a Porsche while the RT is a bit more like a luxury SUV.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I own an F3-S and an RT-L. I am 6'9" and around 320lb. and can easily rest my feet on the fenders while riding. Highway pegs just don't do it for me because they are too close. I don't really ride with my feet on the fenders except for a few yards at slow speeds. It feels mighty funky with your feet going up and down on bumps and I am tempted to try steering by pushing on the fenders but it seems so unnatural I just smile at how odd that is.

The F3-S seating position with floorboards in the full forward position #5 and the tall guy bars is a much better fit for me than the RT-L with the Triaxial bars and the comfort seat moving me back 2". Riding either model will make my knees ache in about an hour but that has more to do with being 70 with arthritic knees. I make it a practice to get off every hour and walk around bit and consider 350 miles to be a daily max miles, but, being retired I can go that pace from coast to coast because I don't have to be anywhere at any specific time. Having ridden since 1964 I have done my share of long days in the saddle and don't plan to do more.

For long trips I'll take the RT-L any day. Give me the wind protection and air suspension with the option to move the bars ease any shoulder aggravation. My wife will only ride on the RT-L.

Bottom line I will keep the RT-L loaded and ready for long trips and ride the F3-S around town and out for an ice cream, no added bags, no extra weight, just my little hot rod.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgwoods View Post
    I own an F3-S and an RT-L. I am 6'9" and around 320lb. and can easily rest my feet on the fenders while riding. Highway pegs just don't do it for me because they are too close.

The F3-S seating position with floorboards in the full forward position #5 and the tall guy bars is a much better fit for me than the RT-L with the Triaxial bars and the comfort seat moving me back 2". Riding either model will make my knees ache in about an hour but that has more to do with being 70 with arthritic knees. I make it a practice to get off every hour and walk around bit and consider 350 miles to be a daily max miles, but, being retired I can go that pace from coast to coast because I don't have to be anywhere at any specific time. Having ridden since 1964 I have done my share of long days in the saddle and don't plan to do more.

For long trips I'll take the RT-L any day. Give me the wind protection and air suspension with the option to move the bars ease any shoulder aggravation. My wife will only ride on the RT-L.
    Thanks JG......I'm only a midget at 6'7" and 310 , but........I am currently trying to choose between an F3 Limited and an RT Limited in a move from 2 wheels......unfortunately, I can't afford both.

I am taking a demo F3 for a run next week, but from what you are saying, even the extended position does not make the F3 any more comfortable on a reasonable (say 300mile) trip. I am coming from a Victory Vision that I can do 500mile days on with no problems because of the large boards, forward controls and highway pegs, plus no buffeting. Like you, I also have "basketball" knees...

I would prefer the comfort of the RT for the reasons you have given, but having sat on the RT, even with the comfort seat, I can't see how long legs (37" inleg) wouldn't seize up on long trips, and how you can bend your foot up far enough to use the brake pedal. Are you using anything special like a brake pedal extension, Seal floorboards etc?

Pete
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As short as you are : If you end up getting an RT, you'll probably want to add a set of highway pegs to it.
    The First Farkle of many!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    As short as you are : If you end up getting an RT, you'll probably want to add a set of highway pegs to it.
    The First Farkle of many!!
    Thanks, Bob. Sitting on an RT L, with my size 15s "delicately" placed on the deflector in front of the floorboard, I could operate the brake reasonably comfortably with my heel. I'm hoping Seal floorboards will allow me to adopt a similar position, especially if I get one of the "tall" seats. I would also get pegs, if they work with the Seals. Otherwise, it's an F3 L
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy Shopping!
    Please let us know what happens next!

Spyder Garage

No test ride on the F3 for me. I could not get past the test "sit." It was adjusted properly, but just did not feel right for my beat up, worn out body. I had the same "feel" as when I sat on the "new" TriGlide back in 2010. I bought my first RT Premiere Edition back then.

Yes, both my RT's feel good when I sit or drive. Guess I am a RT kinda person. When they change the "style" up good enough--I will be interested again.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes AK, the RT was my first choice too (even though I love the F3). It's just a matter of whether I can fit comfortably for a few days touring on the RT with my long legs. I grew used to the electronic screen on the Vision, and it's a big selling point for me as well, as is the electronic shock adjustment with the variety of good and horrible roads we have out here.
    Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 07-07-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    No test ride on the F3 for me. I could not get past the test "sit." It was adjusted properly, but just did not feel right for my beat up, worn out body.
    AK, when you say the F3 didn't feel right, are you able to elaborate? Was this on an F3 Limited with floorboards, which felt much better to me than the foot peg models?

Sorry to to be a pain, but it is a significant outlay out here ($37 - $42k before ANY options), so I really want to get my choice as "right" as I can first up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yes AK, the RT was my first choice too (even though I love the F3). It's just a matter of whether I can fit comfortably for a few days touring on the RT with my long legs. I grew used to the electronic screen on the Vision, and it's a big selling point for me as well, as is the electronic shock adjustment with the variety of good and horrible roads we have out here.
    Pete
    If I was buying based on "looks" only, the F3 LTD or Touring would win hands down. For me, it has to be about the comfort of the ride.

My legs and arms were stretched into uncomfortable positions. I currently have a bad right hip and back issues to go with it. I am stuck in a wheelchair to get around. What I say will not affect everyone. Just my perspective.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Are you using the Can Am adjustable backrest for the passenger? It is supposed to provide more adjustability, which I assume adds to passenger room.
    Sorry it took so long to reply.
    I do not have the adjustable passenger backrest. It is the Can Am re moveable backrest and my wife loves it.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS