MelloYelloSpyder

Angry Clutch Slipping and Codes

Well back into the shop the 13 STS goes again for the second time this year (it has only been out since the middle of March and have only put about 800 miles on it so far) and the third time since buying this POS last March. On the highway yesterday accelerating north of 80MPH and the clutch would not hold. Slipping and RPMs going up with no increase in speed. Bike has approx. 7800 miles on the clock. Then the CHECK ENGINE light both big and small started flashing along with the neutral and reverse indicators lights. Mind you this was while I was traveling about 70 mph. Took it to the shop and dropped it off and I pulled two codes both which make sense but not sure what is the root cause of this problem. Had problems with clutch slippage last year on hard accel and the clutch solenoid was replaced then. That was the first time in the shop and the machine was down for a month then. The codes P0811 (Excessive clutch slippage detected or something along those lines) and P0730 ( Incorrect gear ration, I believe) I am about ready to get rid of this and go back to two wheels.

Spyder Garage

Manual or Semi?

Likely the wrong oil oil used in the past.

2018 F3 LIMITED

MelloYelloSpyder

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Manual or Semi?

Likely the wrong oil oil used in the past.

Manual clutch...SM5

The bike was serviced by the shop until I bought it and I just changed the oil last month

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MelloYelloSpyder View Post
    Manual clutch...SM5

The bike was serviced by the shop until I bought it and I just changed the oil last month
    What kind f oil did you use?
    I don't mean to accuse you of anything. We're all just trying to fill in the blanks, and help you.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

MelloYelloSpyder

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What kind f oil did you use?
    I don't mean to accuse you of anything. We're all just trying to fill in the blanks, and help you.
    No offense taken Bob....I used the Valvoline 4T 10W40 motor oil and a BRP Filter

MelloYelloSpyder

Default Bike is up and running......

Update on the OP...The bike was picked back up yesterday. Here was the diag and fix. Last year I installed an inline oil filter to the airbox like the one i have seen here on spyderlovers. I however could not get mine to route straight up like that in the pics no matter what I tried. So I ran what i thought was a good length of hose and created a nice round loop up to the airbox. Somewhere in the past year that line apparently developed two kinks in it (they showed me the hose when i picked the bike up with the filter still attached) and it was creating a vacuum/pressure problem within the engine as the manual clutch works off of that. They removed the hose set up I put on and installed a straight hose and disconnected the pneumatic assist on the clutch. The clutch pulls like a manual non hydraulic clutch in first gear but the others are fine. It is also a harder pull when shifting back down through the gears. The shop told me they have done this on a few Spyders that have come in and personally I like the feel of the clutch better this way. I can definitely feel it better through my shifting hand

Spyder Garage

I'm glad it is fixed!!!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll bet that it feels good to be, "Back On Three"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black