Looks just right for the job

Sent From my Note 5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapeSpyder View Post
    Who makes that little trailer?
    Looks just right for the job

Sent From my Note 5
    You mean mine? I made it myself. 12 inch wheels, independent torsion axles, flat bottom, oak stake sides, non-Chinese bearings, steel frame, etc.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think that's sweet. Do you mind how much and how much time to put it together.

Sent From my Note 5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    Michael,
    As a Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer owner/user I must say that after reading the posts so far I am led to believe that myself and a few others may have made an unpardonable sin in the Spyderlovers universe and if you choose a Harbor Freight trailer you may just be joining us sinners.

I base this on the crude comments made by some here on this thread. Comments like "the difference between the HF trailer and the RT-622 is night and day", without any explanation or proof to back it up makes me realize that in this Spyderlovers universe if you aren't 100% BRP then to some people you are just poor trash and don't belong on a Spyder.

Of course if the post is followed by some cute
    emoticon then it means they are just kidding. Even if they make the same degrading type comments more than once.

Shame on you all. Michael asked if anyone has pulled the "heavy duty Harbor Freight trailer behind a Spyder" and he and he gets 64 posts (so far) of which some 16 are directly derogatory to the Harbor Freight trailers, 12 look to be actually answering his question, the rest are about BRP or other non Harbor Freight trailers or just superfluous comments.

I love the Spyderlovers resource for technical reasons but this place has just become one big kindergarten playpen.

It must be OK for me to say to you folks who made the 16 derogatory comments that you are fat and ugly as long as I end it with this . And your feet stink too.

Of course, many of the posters just have to say something (anything) to keep their posting number count up on the fourm, whether or not they have anything constructive to the thread.

Wow I guess you told us a thing or two!

I may be "Fat and Ugly" but have not been able to bend over far enough to smell my own feet.

Now for the 12 that are guilty you will be infested with the Fleas of a thousand Camels and sent to Hell no

less.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I hate fleas.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapeSpyder View Post
    I think that's sweet. Do you mind how much and how much time to put it together.

Sent From my Note 5
    Don't remember the hours, but I spent time over a couple of weeks on it. Cost was something on the order of $1400 including powder coating, and a lucky find of aluminum plate at a scrap yard. Welding was no cost as a retired welder friend of mine did it but I did buy a roll of wire. Parts and pieces were from here and there, local and internet.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default You caught me

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've seen Spyders towing logsplitters; anything is possible!
    Rather than dive into the argument over aesthetics; I'll just say that I've never heard anybody complain about how their 622 or Freedom trailers towed.
    Did you see my photo at Tractor Supply " Only in Michigan"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm afraid not...
    (But I'd LIKE to!)
    I actually saw a Spyder towing a logsplitter up on Route 86 in the Adirondacks...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I think you need to go back and reread the OP. He mentioned the RT-622 specifically and the difference in cost between the two. He also asked for our thoughts.

Does your Harbor Freight trailer have 12" wheels and an independent suspension along with 622 litres of storage? Does it come in colors to match your Spyder? Does it come with a carpeted interior - oh wait it doesn't come with any interior.

You may be the one who is stuck in kindergarten. Crude comments, really? I believe you are the one making the crude comments about people who post things that you disagree with are fat and ugly. Do you think that you can only have the same opinion as the original poster or you should not post at all?
    Ann,
    I see you can indeed add constructive comments to the thread! You are right, he did mention the RT-622, I thought he was implying the cost of the RT-622 is more that he wants to spend and was looking for information from folks who have actually used the Harbor Freight trailers. Perhaps I interpreted his request incorrectly?

12" wheels? Nope, 8". Consensus is that 12" wheels are better than 8". There have been very few first-hand reports that 8" tires have been troublesome but I would rather have 12" wheels and may change mine to 12" when the 8" tires wear out.

Independent suspension? Nope, solid axle with leaf springs. It is recommended that the small leaf spring be removed with light loads, which I did. It still bounces on the parking lot speed bumps but I don't see a problem on the streets and highways.

622 liters of storage? Nope, only 453 liters. With the HF trailer I can carry over 100 more pounds than the RT-622 before I hit the 400 pound limit.

Colors to match Spyders? Nope however I went to the hardware store, got some red spray paint made for plastic that matched my Spyder and painted the top lid, then clear-coated it. Looks good enough to me and others who have seen it.

Carpeted interior? Nope. I had a piece of plywood I cut to fit to make a floor and covered it with some carpet and added some tie-downs.

I did the other usual things folks do with a new HF trailer such as fixed the wiring, changed to LED lighting, etc.

My trailer cost me some labor and about $350.

The RT-622 looks a lot better than mine, like night and day.

Last edited by WA5VHU; 05-17-2016 at 09:50 PM.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

No doubt there are nicer looking trailers but I figure for something that may get two or three uses a year I have used the savings for more rides and farkles. I picked up my HF Tag Along for $261 (on sale for $349 and then 25% off).
    1.Changed the wheels to 12" (sold the others on Craigslist which covered part of the price)
    2. ran the wires in sheathing and soldered all connections
    3. Repacked the bearings
    4. Changed to LED lights
    5. Added a high mount brake light
    6. Carpeted an interior bottom panel
    7. Changed the bolts that mount it to the frame to eye-bolts to have tie-downs
    8. Painted the rims black to match the spyder
    9. Painted the top cover in pearl white to match the spyder
    10. Ran exterior perimeter leds on a dimmer
    11. Ran interior perimeter leds on a tilt switch to automatically turn on and off.
    12. Installed a low profile box to contain a lithium battery to run the lights when the spyder is off with an independent cable back to the spyder for battery charging when running.
    13. Installed switches to run the lights off the spyder or battery
    14. Added a 12v port for accessory charging
    15. Added a dual USB port for charging
    16 Yet to do is the pinstripes to match the bike
    17. Removed one leaf from the spring setup since the trailer was designed to carry way more than the Spyder will be towing. Cuts down on the bounce. (edit)

I had a great time doing it and it performs as desired. Is it a streamlined BRP trailer, nope. Am I losing sleep over it, nope, and even if you don't like it I bet you don't lose sleep over it either.

CJ JAX
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zuni; 05-18-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default HF trailer

I've had the hf trailer and have towed it over 2,000 miles with no problems. Changed the lights to led, added a tongue stand and cooler rack all for less than $400. Like some of the other posts it depends on how much you use it. For the few times a year it works fine for me and it's not that hard to keep the bearings packed.
    2015 Special Edition , Red and black

Spyder Garage

Default Love mine!

Did some of the upgrades found online. For the price, it is an awesome trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    See the thing is Bob, I don't care what other people think of me or what I ride or what I pull behind my ride. Yes, I could have said that the difference between the HF trailer and the RT-622 is night and day but come on, Beverly Hillbillies and Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous was clearly more fun.
    & what if I were to carry my banjo in my "new to me" 622??

I wasn't there but I still care!
    POW MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the ingenuity and the modifications, that are being shown right now...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I like the ingenuity and the modifications, that are being shown right now...
    Bob, you smooth talker you.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Missus always says that I, "could sell of plate of ribs; to a woman wearing whites gloves..."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    & what if I were to carry my banjo in my "new to me" 622??

I wasn't there but I still care!
    POW MIA VETS

It would not matter, you have the best looking RT-622 on the road, without a doubt.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I like the way this thread has ended!! Now, it has answered some questions for the OP!! I do love snickers - candy bars AND smiles! Have a great day!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

Look at mini trailer USA. Sponsor on this site. Much less than BRP, looks good and pulls great.
    Never saw a hearse with a trailer hitch!

Spyder Garage

Is it time to say "Good Night" Chet?

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack

Not Chet.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Jack
    Good Night, David!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce785 View Post
    Good Night, David!

You dun broke the code! (and no young whipper Snapper I presume)

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oops

You dun broke the code! (and no young whipper Snapper I presume)

Jack
    And what, may I ask, gave me away?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper