Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trailer ??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer ??

Has anyone used the heavy duty Harbor Frieght trailer behind a Spyder? Could mount a couple car top cargo carriers for a fraction of the price of a RT 622. I like long trips and there just isn't enough cargo provisions.
    Thoughts welcome
    Two-lane blacktop isn't a highway — it's an attitude. ~Author Unknown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of people have made trailers to pull behind. You just have to ask yourself do you want to look like the Beverly Hillbillies or Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Tag-Along Trailer

I think I've seen several of these being used. People who have them will have to comment on how they last and perform - looks like a low risk investment! Trailer is less cost than the Spyder hitch! LOL On sale now for $380!

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-...ler-62644.html
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They make a 200 lb trailer that can haul up to 600 lbs (part number 62644), and I've seen them successfully towed behind a Spyder. I'm not sure which one is the "heavy duty" trailer you're referring to.

If you stay within the tongue and tow weight (40 lbs and 400 lbs respectively) you shouldn't have any issues. I would also try to find a trailer that minimizes the side profile or you may find windy-days are somewhere between troublesome and dangerous.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Lots of people have made trailers to pull behind. You just have to ask yourself do you want to look like the Beverly Hillbillies or Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous?
    WOW! thats pretty brutal!! Not everybody has a lot of expendable cash! Some folks are frugal and it is not all about "how they look" when they are traveling. If it were deciding between traveling with a HF trailer of not being able to afford the trip - I would chose the HF!! Just saying ….
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Ann:

I knew that you were going to get flamed for that (UPPITY) comment, , but I have to agree with you in that I have seen some "homemade Trailers" and wondered what they were thinking of when they made them (not necessarily referring to the harbor freight trailer).

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    WOW! thats pretty brutal!! Not everybody has a lot of expendable cash! Some folks are frugal and it is not all about "how they look" when they are traveling. If it were deciding between traveling with a HF trailer of not being able to afford the trip - I would chose the HF!! Just saying ….

I have to agree with you but you will have to agree with Ann also that some "homemade" trailers are rather funky (not all, just a few).

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael82009 View Post
    Has anyone used the heavy duty Harbor Frieght trailer behind a Spyder? Could mount a couple car top cargo carriers for a fraction of the price of a RT 622. I like long trips and there just isn't enough cargo provisions.
    Thoughts welcome

I have seen some that looked decent, but i will caution you to, repack the bearings, upgrade the tires to 12" tires and rewire the lights on a Harbor Freight Trailer for safety also check the safety chains for defects.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Remember, it's not what you do, but how you look doing it!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I've got a Tag a long, 12 inch wheels, spring hooks in place of the open hooks on the safety chains, HF led light kit, home made kick stand. It's been to SF 3 times, behind two different Spyders, and many other places. The one thing you will have to check out is the wiring, all the splices are scotch locks, out of the box, mine had several shorts to ground.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've seen Spyders towing logsplitters; anything is possible!
    Rather than dive into the argument over aesthetics; I'll just say that I've never heard anybody complain about how their 622 or Freedom trailers towed.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Larry, Larry what has happened to your sense of fashion. I am in the sand box with Ann on this one.

After all, if you own a Spyder and belong to Spyder Lovers you have a certain respectability to uphold.

You get what you pay for. Many things to consider here. Bearings (china) no independent swing arm

suspension. etc

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Remember, it's not what you do, but how you look doing it!

Or; it's not easy, the secret is to make it look easy!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Man I am in trouble.
    I thought it was all about the ride, not looking like the rich and famous.
    I don't think I can pull that one off.....maybe that is why I didn't go to Spyderfest, I would feel too out of place with the uppity ups.

I thought it was a great line, but I myself am in the process of making one of those Beverly Hillbilly trailers for taking the Spyder grocery shopping, instead of towing the camper trailer.

Some of them look pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 05-16-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Looks to me like you have lots of money Larry. Question: What's the difference between "cheap' and

"frugal"? Never could understand the difference between the two. Maybe you could educate me or

enlighten me. Thanks

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't Worry About Your Appearance...

I don't worry about mine!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

To the OP - I see people pulling the Harbor Freight trailers behind bikes and cars all the time. I can afford to buy whatever I want but if I were like most people who would only use a trailer like that once or twice I wouldn't waste $3000 for something that's gonna sit in the garage for 300 plus days a year. If I get one it will be one like the ones posted with a spare tire and an eye on the amount of weight and it's intended use. That being said if I you plan on using it a lot I would spring for one of the plus or minus $1000 ones made in the US and with diamond plating.

Last edited by hdlongrod; 05-16-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Many of you have lost your sense of humor. This little emoji infers that I was kidding. I really don't care what you tow behind your Spyder but you also must realize that comparing the HF trailer to the RT-622 is ridiculous as they are nowhere near the same thing.

So chill out and ride.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I bought a Mission MMT 3'x4' trailer. It has 25 cubic ft of storage and is all aluminum. Dry weight is 194lbs. Out the door the cost was $1,987. It has a long tongue so it is easy to back up and no reverberating vibrations back up through the Spyder when the trailer goes over the bumps. I just got back from a 2000 miles trip pulling it and it pulled great on freeways and mountain twisties.

www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

Default Apples to oranges

HF trailers come with 8 inch wheels, cheap bearings, no suspension, no box. If you upgrade those things, if possible, you are getting close to an Aluma or mission trailer cost. If you only put in clothes or soft things, an unsprung trailer works fine. To each his/her own. The 622 we have has over 90,000 miles on it, and worth the price. Jmho, Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    HF trailers come with 8 inch wheels, cheap bearings, no suspension, no box. If you upgrade those things, if possible, you are getting close to an Aluma or mission trailer cost. If you only put in clothes or soft things, an unsprung trailer works fine. To each his/her own. The 622 we have has over 90,000 miles on it, and worth the price. Jmho, Joe
    This is what I bought at half the cost and have seen a lot of them on the road. Seems to tow fine and what I am using for Deadwood.

Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hdlongrod View Post
    To the OP - I see people pulling the Harbor Freight trailers behind bikes and cars all the time. I can afford to buy whatever I want but if I were like most people who would only use a trailer like that once or twice I wouldn't waste $3000 for something that's gonna sit in the garage for 300 plus days a year. If I get one it will be one like the ones posted with a spare tire and an eye on the amount of weight and it's intended use. That being said if I you plan on using it a lot I would spring for one of the plus or minus $1000 ones made in the US and with diamond plating.

I couldn't agree more. There is nothing stylish or attract about a uppity with their nose in the air thinking they are better than anyone else because they choose to throw money around. Open air riding is not about social class, it attitude, brotherhood and freedom
    Last edited by Michael82009; 05-16-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    This is what I bought at half the cost and have seen a lot of them on the road. Seems to tow fine and what I am using for Deadwood.

that is what I'm looking at also 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 We are heading to deadwood also. See ya there.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought a used ALuma trailer - LOTS of space, rydes like it isn't there, no issues. I have a Can-Am trailer hitch, but (shudder) i bought a Big Bike Parts harness. Lots of comments on this forum about the evils of going non-Can-Am, and some snobbish comments about the even bigger evils of trying to save $.

I think there are lots of non Can-AM options for many of the farkles we like, and many of them are better and cost less.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

MY definition between the two is cheap always goes with the cheapest, frugal goes with the middle price range. When I was young, I have very little money, but I learned someplace never go cheap. I'm still frugal and have rarely been disappointed.

I sort of agree with Ann, BUT there better be a lot of difference in "what you look like" between $4K and $1K and there usually isn't $3K worth. That being said, worrying about "keeping up with the Jones", or worrying about what other people think about you, is a waste of time and usually money.

I also agree that if you don't make due, or you can't "go" screw them, go Frugal, never cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Looks to me like you have lots of money Larry. Question: What's the difference between "cheap' and

"frugal"? Never could understand the difference between the two. Maybe you could educate me or

enlighten me. Thanks

Jack

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.