the city i live in seems to not turn the pumps on until its way to deep

how deep is damaging to the GS
    i am wondering from the line on the side its halfway up the motor
    i have not attempted to start it
    what concerns should i address ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is never a welcome sight. I hope damage is not to extensive! As far as the Spyder goes, as long as water did not get in the oil tank or the air box you should be OK to start it up. Good luck!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Drip dry....

Let it dry out...or if you have a blower give her a bit of a blow dry. You should be fine. Electrical connections (oem) are water tight. As long as you did not get water over the exhaust there is no other entrance to the engine but the air box.....hope the rest of the stuff in your garage is at a safe hight....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default high water

well after the water goes away ill pop the tupperware and give it a good look over and inspection to check for water incursion prior to cranking it over

Spyder Garage

I believe you will be fine. Everything on the lower end should be waterproof. Give it a good cleaning. Can't be sure what was in that water.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd be a bit concerned about the bearings and brake parts that might have been soaking for a while...
    But the bike should be okay!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't think it hurt anything but I would get it to higher ground as soon as possible.

Frankly if it were mine and the water was no deeper than the pictures I would start it and drive it out, then shut it down and check the oil to look for oil.

Also as Bob mentioned check to see if the wheel bearings went under if they you may want to change them out sooner than later.

Spyder Garage

Default high water

the exhaust was completely submerged

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Not a happy site at all

Hope all works out for you. My brother was in CA when all that rain hit the Houston area recently. Water started to enter his garage, but not deep and none in the house. Last time he had that much rain, the water level in his house was 12" from his CEILING. All lost - prior to ownership of a Spyder.

Not much area for run off of rain when you are at or close to sea level.

Don
    (dry in E Texas)
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You need to completely dry out the exhaust and engine before starting it ...

Spyder Garage

On my 09 at the lowest part of the exhaust pipe I have a plug I can take out on the y pipe I would see if you have that plug if not I'd loosen the pipe and get the water out. And just check the air box the rest should dry. Best of luck

Spyder Garage

Default high water

its easy to drop the silencer on a GS probably just remove it place it on end till dry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

also check the oil just to make sure it doesn't look milky

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't start it until I changed the oil and let it dry out. Before you do anything = If you have insurance you should first check with your insurance before you do anything - they may cover it - total it even - and then you can buy it back for a fraction of what they give you! My 2 cents!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Salvage title

Quote Originally Posted by Godlover View Post
    I wouldn't start it until I changed the oil and let it dry out. Before you do anything = If you have insurance you should first check with your insurance before you do anything - they may cover it - total it even - and then you can buy it back for a fraction of what they give you! My 2 cents!!!
    Buying it back comes with a salvage title, and tougher to sell

Spyder Garage

And good luck withe starting... If you let it dry should be good to go.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just to be safe pull the spark plugs before you crank it over. My big concern would be the wheel bearings that look like they were under water and any electronics that may have been submerged. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    Buying it back comes with a salvage title, and tougher to sell
    It is a tougher sell but if I could buy back a bike like that for $2500 to 3500 I'd do it in a minute! I've purchased several salvage title vehicles and have never gotten hurt. But then I do research and know what I'm getting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tx web rider View Post
    the exhaust was completely submerged
    From looking at the pics, it seems the water level was high enough to get up above the wheel bearings & most of the important 'rotating parts' of the engine as well as into the exhaust & anything it opens to.... Which means that you really want to make sure there is NO water in anything below that level and that the water NEVER got in there, which I sincerely doubt is a realistic assumption at all!!

Sure, most bikes & Spyders etc will be made to be a little water resistant, ie, they should be able to stand riding in the rain etc, but that doesn't mean that anything &/or everything important is proof against water getting into it if it's left standing in said water for a while!! And if that water was just a little dirty &/or contaminated with any of the stuff often found in our home shed/garages, it's likely to be fairly corrosive 'water' too!! Soooo, if it was me in your boots, I'd be asking your insurance company to write that one off, pay you out, & get a replacement that hasn't been drowned!! If you keep that Spyder, even if you immediately drain & replace all the oils etc; dismantle, clean, & re-assemble everything; re-grease everything you can; & treat all electrical joints with a cleaner/water dispersant, there's still a very good chance that you'll find water has made its way into everything & is working away right now on corroding & damaging anything & everything it reached, & that's very likely somewhat above the water level!!

Any vehicle left standing in water that hasn't been specifically & very recently been treated & specifically sealed to withstand immersion, even if it's for just a few minutes, will get water in all sorts of places you just don't normally think of & places that rain etc won't ever get to. Places like under the insulation on the wiring loom, hard up against the wires, where it 'wicks' its corroding way right along the wiring loom & often out the far end & into electrical components & gauges you thought were well above the water level, as well as seeping & wicking its way into every joint, seam, or crack in anything/everything below the water level.... Most seals were made to keep oil/grease etc IN, & only light rain out (if that) So as time progresses after an immersion event, you'll pretty much always find that you eventually start to have no end of issues due to things like corroded wiring, water damage inside bearings & bushes, seized nuts & threads, shorted wiring connectors, dodgy water damaged sensors, and a whole lot more!! Then you need to consider what a soaking in water may have done to things like the brake pad material, or to the 'glue' that bonds the brake pads to their backing material?? Do you want to risk the pads pulling right off their backing next time you try an emergency stop?? Or maybe it won't be an issue until the time after next, or the time after the time after????

So yeah, you might be lucky enough to get it running &/or ride it out of there, but almost certainly there will be long term repercussions & costs eventually - how much of a gambler are you?? If your insurance covers you for floods or whatever this event was, I'd be seeing if I could get a new Spyder!!

Good Luck!!