Thread: EZ-Tag in Texas

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default EZ-Tag in Texas

Where do you put your? Right now I have it on my windshield but hate it there.

Spyder Garage

I use TxTag and have mine mounted under the frunk lid.

And since it is also registered to my plate, even if the reader doesn't sense the tag, the camera will match it up to my account.

PS: you will need a separate one for your trailer if you pull one through the tolls.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by revjvegas View Post
    I use TxTag and have mine mounted under the frunk lid.

And since it is also registered to my plate, even if the reader doesn't sense the tag, the camera will match it up to my account.

PS: you will need a separate one for your trailer if you pull one through the tolls.
    So it can read it through the lid? I have been curious if it would read it, and also if it didn't read it. Wondered if it would charge you the tag rate or the higher nontagged rate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

From the other thread going around the northeast guys and the southeast place it in the upper underside part of the frunk lid and it has been workin great. Also mentioned that it should not be exposed to the rain. I think we have two toll roads a few miles long each with unmanned pay booths and the other you have to go online amd pay fortunatelly you don't have to use either one to get where your going....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yep as posted previously mount it to the frunk lid on the inside. On my two wheeler I attached it to the lid of one of my saddlebags as directed by the toll road authority agent. No problem with EZ at all.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

Default TxTAg

I agree with Revjvegas.

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

So to sum it up, the tollway EZ tags are not optically read so they don't have to be LOS to the tag readers in order to work.

I'd still like to see these blasted toll roads banned and I do my best to avoid them whenever I can.

- Michael

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

we keep ours in the frunk .....in one of those organizers...works well

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    So it can read it through the lid? I have been curious if it would read it, and also if it didn't read it. Wondered if it would charge you the tag rate or the higher nontagged rate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    I don't know about other states, but here if you have a tag registered to your license plate, you get that tag rate. If you run through a reader without a tag you eventually get a hefty statement in the mail with a $30+ dollar fee attached to each violation.

Spyder Garage

I don't know about other states, but here if you have a tag registered to your license plate, you get that tag rate. If you run through a reader without a tag you eventually get a hefty statement in the mail with a $30+ dollar fee attached to each violation.
    Its not a violation in Texas to go threw without a tag. That is why they no longer have cash lanes where you pay. It is all electronic even if you do not have a tag. The ones with a tag do get the discount rate though. You will be billed either way.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

The Texas toll tags do works in some other states also. On the way to Spyderfest we went down a tollway in Oklahoma that if you had a Texas tag, it will work there as well. The tag reader reads them electronically, not visually. So if it is inside your windshield or inside your frunk lid the scanner still will have to penetrate a layer to get to the tag. If no scan is made, the High res cameras take pictures of your vehicle and read your plates. The bill will go to who ever the tags are registered to. This is why when you sell or trade your vehicle, you need to remove the tags.
    I have gotten a bill before from them when the camera softwear mis read a tag. They emailed me a copy of the pic and I was amazed how clear and focused it was. I could easilly tell them that it was not my bike. The tags were clear and easy to read. That was about 7-8 years ago. Im sure the technology has advanced that much more now.

One more note, the Texas tag is a sticker, They do not send out those plastic box tags that velcro on to the windshield. Being a sticker, im thinking it would work on a wet area and is not ugly. Id check with them first though.
    Last edited by AY4B; 05-17-2016 at 06:13 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default ez tak

Always works in the frunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    The Texas toll tags do works in some other states also. On the way to Spyderfest we went down a tollway in Oklahoma that if you had a Texas tag, it will work there as well. The tag reader reads them electronically, not visually. So if it is inside your windshield or inside your frunk lid the scanner still will have to penetrate a layer to get to the tag. If no scan is made, the High res cameras take pictures of your vehicle and read your plates. The bill will go to who ever the tags are registered to. This is why when you sell or trade your vehicle, you need to remove the tags.
    I have gotten a bill before from them when the camera softwear mis read a tag. They emailed me a copy of the pic and I was amazed how clear and focused it was. I could easilly tell them that it was not my bike. The tags were clear and easy to read. That was about 7-8 years ago. Im sure the technology has advanced that much more now.

One more note, the Texas tag is a sticker, They do not send out those plastic box tags that velcro on to the windshield. Being a sticker, im thinking it would work on a wet area and is not ugly. Id check with them first though.
    May have been a change from last year but the EZ tag for the car is a sticker and the one for my Spyders are the lil candy bar shaped boxes that velcro mount.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Its not a violation in Texas to go threw without a tag. That is why they no longer have cash lanes where you pay. It is all electronic even if you do not have a tag. The ones with a tag do get the discount rate though. You will be billed either way.
    Respectfully disagree.

From the HCTRA:

Pursuant to the Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 284, the owner or renter of record (not necessarily the driver) of a vehicle that passes through a toll facility is responsible for payment of all tolls. Failure to pay a toll is a toll violation, and is against the law. HCTRA communications may refer to each instance of toll violation as a toll violation "event."
    A toll violation event can result in a Toll Violation Invoice sent to the registered owner/renter for the past-due toll amount plus fees. Independent of a Toll Violation Invoice, any toll violation event may also result in a traffic stop and the issuance of a traffic citation, which carries a significant fine plus court costs.

...AND...

You may have received a Toll Violation Invoice for one of these reasons:
    1) A vehicle registered in your name traveled the tollway without being registered to an EZ TAG account or making a cash payment at a toll booth,
    2) You have an EZ TAG, but your EZ account balance is insufficient, or
    3) You have an EZ TAG, but your vehicle information is incorrect on your account.
    Pursuant to the Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 284, the owner or renter of record (not necessarily the driver) of a vehicle that passes through a toll facility is responsible for payment of all tolls. If you feel you received a Toll Violation Invoice in error, please contact us at 281-875-3279.
    Failure to pay a toll is against the law. Failure to resolve violations may result in fines, referral to a collection agency, withdrawal of your eligibility to renew your vehicle registration, and other legal measures as defined by Texas law. To pay your Toll Violation Invoice, or to pay an outstanding toll which has not been invoiced,

Now granted, this may be only for Harris county...but still, to say it is not a violation in Texas is incorrect.

Spyder Garage

Respectfully disagree.

Now granted, this may be only for Harris county...but still, to say it is not a violation in Texas is incorrect.
    I believe he meant it isn't illegal to go through without a TOLL TAG. If you don't have a toll tag you can still go trough and you just get a bill in the mail. If you have a toll tag you get a discounted rate.

Obviously it is illegal to drive any vehicle without a "tag" (i.e. license plate). This might be where the confusion came from. But you do NOT need a toll tag to go through the EZ pay toll booths.

Joe
    2016 RT SE6 Special Edition. I call her "Joanette"

Spyder Garage

In NTTA they did away with cash payment booths. They tell everyone to just go on threw and if you do not have a toll tag, The person that the vehicle is registered to will get a bill for the charges. If you dont send in the payment, they will add penalty charges and late fees. Some people ignore the bills and you hear stories of people owing many thousands of dollars.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default New to the community.

Hey Guys,

Purchased a 2015 Spyder F3-S SE6 and I also installed the sticker sent by NTTA under the front Hood but I haven't seen a hit to my account yet. I am not too worried because like someone stated it is tied to my license plate but more curious than anything. Do you guys see the toll hit your account right away or is it delayed by a few days?

Fee

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FeeBear View Post
    Hey Guys,

Purchased a 2015 Spyder F3-S SE6 and I also installed the sticker sent by NTTA under the front Hood but I haven't seen a hit to my account yet. I am not too worried because like someone stated it is tied to my license plate but more curious than anything. Do you guys see the toll hit your account right away or is it delayed by a few days?

Fee
    The way that works is they pull 40.00 out of your account and its like a credit that they charge the tolls to. At some point they just take another 40.00 and so on. You never see individual tolls pulled out of your account. Think of it like filling up your toll tank. When the low fuel light comes on they just fill it up again.
    Last edited by AY4B; 05-30-2016 at 03:55 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

It bills based on what is picked up. If the reader scanned properly, then it will autobill immediately. If it didnt read, then the image of the plate will be processed within 24 to 48 hours. If you have a hard case, those will be decommissioned soon due to that chip reader failing and rf better chips on the stickers. The only exception is that specialty license plate tags can be given due to heated windshields in cars but it wont fit on the bike plates.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk