Spyder Garage

Default F3-T Black Paint

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with that black paint on the dash, tank, service panels and rear fender?
    On my ride home from the dealer, about 80 miles, after picking up the new bike my jacket scratched up the paint on the tank right above the seat. Ok I did not think about that and that is my fault. I immediately went and order a tank protector from wrapmyspyder. That will be put on ASAP.
    But yesterday I washed the whole bike and now there are scratches, scuffs, and swirl marks on all the black sections of the bike.
    I was careful to use lots of soap with a new microfiber wash mitt and dried with a clean microfiber towel.
    The dash panel and the two service panels look like I used sand paper on them. I have some ideas how to buff most of it out. But for a brand new bike with only a hundred miles, i don't feel I should have this problem. The white painted sections look perfect!
    Just wondering if anyone else had this problem, and what were your solutions.
    Thanks, Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave03hd; 05-15-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SCRATCHING - PAINT

Sorry to hear about this...................Many folks here who tie down there Spyders with RACHET STRAPS would find it interesting to know ......just carefully washing can scratch the paint.......But not the Rachet straps........Go figure......Thanks ........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-15-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

I kicked the side of my tank yesterday with my boot and I was actually able to rub the marks off with my finger. But my left and right side panels are scuffed from my pants rubbing them as are my rear saddle bag doors from simply using my hands to shut them and they don't wax out! This with only 800 miles on the odometer.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 f3limited SS triple black. The gloss black parts have horrible swirl marks. I have washed and waxed many black vehicles including s 2010 rts and narry a swirl. It made me sick. It almost seems like the clear coat wasn't mixed correctly and didn't flash over like it should. Anyone else have the issues. Any ideas on how to get the swirls out. I'm afraid to make it worse by trying to buff it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave03hd View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with that black paint on the dash, tank, service panels and rear fender?
    On my ride home from the dealer, about 80 miles, after picking up the new bike my jacket scratched up the paint on the tank right above the seat. Ok I did not think about that and that is my fault. I immediately went and order a tank protector from wrapmyspyder. That will be put on ASAP.
    But yesterday I washed the whole bike and now there are scratches, scuffs, and swirl marks on all the black sections of the bike.
    I was careful to use lots of soap with a new microfiber wash mitt and dried with a clean microfiber towel.
    The dash panel and the two service panels look like I used sand paper on them. I have some ideas how to buff most of it out. But for a brand new bike with only a hundred miles, i don't feel I should have this problem. The white painted sections look perfect!
    Just wondering if anyone else had this problem, and what were your solutions.
    Thanks, Dave
    I have an all black F3 and I need to ask this.
    I can't say for sure anything about your paint.

Have you ever owned any other black vehicle?
    I have and what I see on my F3 pretty much falls into the characteristic PIA of a black vehicle.

Having said that, if you think there is a problem take photos and then go to your dealer.

Spyder Garage

I agree the black scratches way to easily. It is disappointing when one spends the kind of money we do to purchase a Spyder. I even tried to buff out some of the swirl marks but to no avail. It would be nice if Can Am would replace these panels with ones that have better but I'm dreaming! If I had known this I would have put 3-m protective shield on all the black. I have 220 miles on my F3 and what a disappointment. My only complaint so far.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I get the same little scratches too.....

I thought it was just mine. Seems like they missed a protective coat or something.

Spyder Garage

I was getting scratches on the tank from my riding pants. I put a clear plastic cover over that area and all seems to be good for now. I am ordering the tank cover from Wrap my Spyder because it has better coverage than what I have now. Black is always a P.I.A. to keep nice.

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I've had many black vehicles and non of them have the poor (soft) finish our Spyders have.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave03hd View Post
    The dash panel and the two service panels look like I used sand paper on them.
    Thanks, Dave
    i thought that was just mine. the service panels are the worst. it appears to me that the service panels are painted differently somehow than the tank cover and tall cover. they are not as bad. i tried a little plexus, that seemed to help a bit. i was going to try Finesse-it but the surface almost seems too soft for it.
    what have others tried?
    thanx
    ba
    2019 F3-T Liquid Titanium

“we are all products of those to whom we have chosen to listen”
    2019 F3T , titanium

Spyder Garage

When my 2019 F3-S Special Series was delivered brand new to me last year, I inspected body panels etc, all good apart from fine scratches on service panels (before I started riding Spyder). I contacted dealer and they replaced service panels free of charge. I highly recommend checking service panels along with all other body panels for swirls/fine scratches on delivery/collection of your Spyder.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

I wrote another thread about this. You are right. The black gloss paint on the service panels is terrible. I saw it when it was on the showroom floor. I figured some fool wiped it down with a rag that had fallen in the sand. I knew I'd have to work on it, after getting it home. I had a black Mustang GT for 12 years, so I was used to working on black paint, and have all the best products to make it like new. I started off by removing the service panels, and taking them in the house, to really do a super job on them. I tried for about and hour, and got nowhere! Those swirls are there to stay. Terrible paint.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

Oh, BTW... Do ya'll notice that those same panels also attract a lot of dust, even if you don't ride in dusty areas? It always shocks me, even after a short ride. I love my Spyder, but the paint sucks.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t

Spyder Garage

I don't believe there is any black paint on those panels. I think it's just the bare plastic, which is why it scratches so easily.
    2019 F3S SM6 , Black metallic with pearl color change

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    I don't believe there is any black paint on those panels. I think it's just the bare plastic, which is why it scratches so easily.
    I think you are correct.
    Compare them to the gas tank cover and tail cover that look actually painted.

ba
    2019 F3-T Liquid Titanium

“we are all products of those to whom we have chosen to listen”
    2019 F3T , titanium

Spyder Garage

I used to have a black 4x4 and lived on a limerock road. After that the few black panels on the Spyder don't bother me.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried to paint those panels with bumper paint or some type automotive paint?

Spyder Garage

Probably work better to just wrap them in black vinyl.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Never thought of that. I'll bet you are right.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t

Spyder Garage

Yup, those black swirls are annoying. Just ask anyone riding a 2018 F3 Ltd, Black on Black with matching Black 2019 Freedom Trailer. The trailer gets the "swirls" too.

As someone coming from a Dual Sport background I found myself initially hanging on with my knees while getting accustomed to the new handling. I quickly made a mess of my side panels. I ended buying a vinyl wrap for the side panels from Wrap my Spyder and I'm quite pleased with how they turned out.

As for cleaning; I hose down the Spyder first (simple garden hose) then use Lamonster's Diamond Coat with microfibre cloths, also from Lamonster.

I was thinking of taking my ride to a detailer this spring but from what I'm reading here, I doubt they will have much better luck getting rid of the swirls.

I don't have a close up of the panel wraps but you might be able to zoom in on these pics to get the idea.

20190523_131332_HDR.jpg

20190714_140430_HDR.jpg
    2018 F3 Limited , Black on black

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

This worked for me on my Gl1800 black. as always, YMMV.

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Yeah, the black panels do not have any paint. The side service panels, tank cover and dash are poly-carbonate plastic along with anything else that is high gloss black on the Spyder. I bought my F3-T as a low mileage demo and the panels looked like they were 100 years old. I think they cleaned the bike with a paper towel. The worst thing for me was I spilled gasoline on the tank and side panels while filling from a can. Whatever additives that were in the non-ethanol marine premium gas I was putting in stained the panels and could not be removed. The only option was to paint them, or replace them. Fortunately, the parts are pretty cheap to buy compared to other parts on the Spyder. I was able to clean up most of the scratches with a buffer and 3M Finesse-it II finishing material followed up with a good coat of wax. The discoloration was impossible to remove even though I wiped it off moments after the fuel spill. Normal gasoline doesn't seem to bother it but the marine gas really ate it up. Keeping the black panels looking nice is a constant problem. On the bright side of things, the matte finish parts need very little attention. A little S-100 Cycle cleaner when you wash it and a wax job afterwords on the gloss panels and you're done.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Wrap my SpYder has some nice vinyl pieces for those hard to care for items. I have a set up in Ohio but neglected to pack them. I will be installing them when I go back up there in May.

Meanwhile:

to see SpYder Wraps
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

The best thing I have found for anthing black is Turtle Wax Black. Find or order the three stage kit consisting of a Cleaner, Detailer and Wax. It really works. Shop around on-line for it. I found it last month for 19 bucks and free shipping.