Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Actually, WWW.CanAmSpyderAccessories.com has a great little SS Rod affair that I purchased and it works great.....no more worries wondering if the trunk lid is going to fall on my head. Check it out!
    Thanks for the update!

Add that one to the list Bob!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ordered struts from Amazon for the seat and trunk for my wife's '17 RT. They arrived over the weekend while we were out of town, will attempt replacement tonight to see how they work.

EDIT: Installed the struts. VERY easy job. Doing both of them took less than half an hour, and that was mainly because I was checking their respective forces for comparison.

Ordered through Amazon, both of them are from LiftSupportsDepot.com.
    The trunk strut is PM3300, the seat strut is LSD0019.

Checked forces on the bathroom scale.
    Old trunk: 16.5 lbs.
    New trunk: 29.2 lbs.

Old seat: 18.4 lbs.
    New seat: 38.6 lbs.

Initial impressions: the trunk strut could stand to be a bit stronger. I think I will order the hardware to install a second strut and keep the load balanced. The seat strut does the job, but it could also stand to be a bit stronger. I might look for something stronger if I need to change them again, but not right away.

Last edited by Steve W.; 09-06-2022 at 06:47 PM.
    HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I have added a second trunk strut on my Spyder, and it opens very nicely and stays open. I believe that if you can safely leave the trunk open while in storage (no mice or varmint around) the strut will be in the relaxed position rather then the compressed position it will last a lot longer. That is what I do now. IMHO

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Actually, WWW.CanAmSpyderAccessories.com has a great little SS Rod affair that I purchased and it works great.....no more worries wondering if the trunk lid is going to fall on my head. Check it out!
    ...... Except I made my own ..... another Member " safecracker " had posted that He bought one also ..... I asked Him to make a Tracing and mail it to me. ..... He did and DIY'd it ..... This thing is sooooooooooooooooooooo simple, I'm amazed I hadn't figured out how to make one years ago...... I simplified making it by not trying to cut out the entire shape. I just made it straight ( without the thumb piece ) and then glued a piece of scrap..... Anyone interested I'll explain how simple this is to make ....... Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...... Except I made my own ..... another Member " safecracker " had posted that He bought one also ..... I asked Him to make a Tracing and mail it to me. ..... He did and DIY'd it ..... This thing is sooooooooooooooooooooo simple, I'm amazed I hadn't figured out how to make one years ago...... I simplified making it by not trying to cut out the entire shape. I just made it straight ( without the thumb piece ) and then glued a piece of scrap..... Anyone interested I'll explain how simple this is to make ....... Mike
    Good on ya Mike......yeah, they are very simple. I've had mine now for a couple of years. No More Worries about it wearing out, or getting weak.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Isn't it terrible that these machines are so expensive and the people on the forum have to figure out how to fix the stuff the company didn't get right.
    I feel better now. Thanks.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bangorbob...... I wouldn’t be too hard on BRP, look at all the stuff you can do to a Harley...... it’s not just these machines! And what about automobiles.... new wheels..... new wrap for the back window? Even the 18 wheelers..... new Pipes ....... new horn...... dress up the sleeper? No, it’s not just BRP, IT’S US....YOU AND I!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2022 at 06:13 PM. Reason: ' 's

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bangorbob...... I wouldn’t be too hard on BRP, look at all the stuff you can do to a Harley...... it’s not just these machines! And what about automobiles.... new wheels..... new wrap for the back window? Even the 18 wheelers..... new Pipes ....... new horn...... dress up the sleeper? No, it’s not just BRP, IT’S US....YOU AND I!
    Wheels, wraps, lights, horns, ... etc., etc. are not necessarily design inadequacies. Those are just adjustments for personal tastes. Having to improvise a system to keep your trunk lid or seat up while refueling is not something you CAN do, it's pretty much something you HAVE to do, and that's sad.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

My point exactly. I agree that it exist in almost all things in life. Quality control just isn't what it used to be.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    WHaving to improvise a system to keep your trunk lid or seat up while refueling is not something you CAN do, it's pretty much something you HAVE to do, and that's sad.
    There are only two or three reasons why you would have to repair/improvise something like the seat strut. First is wear out. All gas shocks deteriorate with time so you can't put the blame for that on BRP. Second, you have changed to a heavier seat or have added load to it. Again, that is out of BRP's control. So I don't see how or why a seat strut that doesn't hold up the seat is a BRP quality control problem.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Quality control just isn't what it used to be.
    No it isn't. It's much better. A couple of examples. Did you get 50,000 miles out of car tires in 1955? H*** no! 1960's cars by and large were junk before 100,000 miles. Now you readily buy used cars with 150,000+ miles on them and they're running great. When's the last time you regularly saw cars on the road blowing smoke out the tailpipe? I'll bet it was 50, 60 years ago.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    There are only two or three reasons why you would have to repair/improvise something like the seat strut. First is wear out. All gas shocks deteriorate with time so you can't put the blame for that on BRP. Second, you have changed to a heavier seat or have added load to it. Again, that is out of BRP's control. So I don't see how or why a seat strut that doesn't hold up the seat is a BRP quality control problem.
    Agree.
    And want to add, as far as the seat or trunk or any gas spring truly “wearing out”, unless it is or has leaked out the oil, it is not worn out. These units loose gas pressure over time, which causes them to soften.

The gas spring internal pressure to hold up and also allow the trunk lid (without a rack installed) to slowly raise is 1000 psi. The volume of nitrogen inside the gas spring is very little, so as it slowly bleeds off, and it does not take much loss, the gas spring softens and becomes weak.

Spyder Garage

For all those who suggested adding a second strut to the trunk be aware that on the 2020 and newer trunks the strut is in a molded cavity on the right side. there is no cavity on the left side so it's not possible to add a second strut. What I did on my 2020 and wife's 2021 was add a helper spring that goes over the strut.

I picked the spring up at Home Depot. It was in a package of 4 springs. Two of this size and two smaller. I stretched the spring out until it was as long as the strut and then cut off the hooks.
    One end of the strut is pried off by pulling on the spring clip and the other is held on by a 5mm allen screw. The lid is held on by two bolt pins (T20 and 10mm) the left pin is longer then the right.
    The back rest pad is removed by taking out the two T20 screws in the box and then lifting it off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2022 at 12:18 PM. Reason: starched the spin - stretched the spring :-D
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    there is no cavity on the left side so it's not possible to add a second strut.
    Another good work around gone down the tubes.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Added sideway pictures - sorry about that!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    For all those who suggested adding a second strut to the trunk be aware that on the 2020 and newer trunks the strut is in a molded cavity on the right side. there is no cavity on the left side so it's not possible to add a second strut. What I did on my 2020 and wife's 2021 was add a helper spring that goes over the strut.

I picked the spring up at Home Depot. It was in a package of 4 springs. Two of this size and two smaller. I stretched the spring out until it was as long as the strut and then cut off the hooks.
    One end of the strut is pried off by pulling on the spring clip and the other is held on by a 5mm allen screw. The lid is held on by two bolt pins (T20 and 10mm) the left pin is longer then the right.
    The back rest pad is removed by taking out the two T20 screws in the box and then lifting it off.
    Many thanks for taking the time to pass this on. I just did your seat lift fix yesterday (added a spring to the seat lift strut) so that helped with that problem (thanks!!). Would the spring you had recommended for the seat strut (SP-9713) work on the trunk strut or are they different sizes? I ask as the SP-9713 spring package contained 2 springs but I am guessing they are different. Thanks again!!
    Cheers
    Kevin
    2020 RT Limited - Chalk Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Mine works until I strap the drink cooler on an added luggage rack..my low tech solution was a couple of rubber door stops I stick against the arms..
    2021 RTL Chalk White (a paler shade of grey, of which there are 50)
    Name: GreyGhost

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

I love the low tech solution

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Found a pack of 2 small doorstops in a whiter shade of pale for 2.79 at Ace Hardware. Ka-Ching. Problem solved. But I will replace the shock at a later date.

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Spyder Garage

For those with a weak strut on the trunk lid, here is another option to hold the lid in the open position .
    I have a rack on my trunk lid I use to hold a Pet Palace for my 12lb dog. This holder will hold the lid open .
    https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...-trunk-holder/
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    For those with a weak strut on the trunk lid, here is another option to hold the lid in the open position .
    I have a rack on my trunk lid I use to hold a Pet Palace for my 12lb dog. This holder will hold the lid open .
    https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...-trunk-holder/
    That will only work on the 2013 thru 2019 models. It WILL NOT fit the 2020+ models.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Sure wish someone had a replacement gas strut for the '20 RTL trunk. Replaced the seat strut with a stronger one from McMaster-Carr, but have been unable to find a replacement for the trunk. Mine is still covered under the extended warranty, but I still have to pay a $50 deductible. And it will probably only last a couple years, also.

Spyder Garage

Thanks.
    Just did this with a spring I bought at Ace Hardware $2.19.
    Wife is happy - for now.

Spyder Garage

Did my 2012rt like you said worked great Thanks

Spyder Garage

Here is an aftermarket trunk replacement, it says seat but those are the trunk part numbers posted in the item information.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...S6F7RLJ5&psc=1
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2023 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Fixed Link ;-)