Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas strut for trunk on the RT

Now that I have the rack on the lid of the trunk, the stock strut is no longer strong enough to hold the lid up. So, I looked on the BRP parts fiche and see they hose ya for $65 for a strut.... Has anyone replaced or added a second strut for a better price? That's just ridiculous to charge that much. I was reading the thread about the gas strut upgrade for the seat only costing about $10, was hoping to upgrade that one too. Anyone have any links or part numbers they'd care to share for the seat and the trunk struts?

Thanks,
    Rick
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

see attached link

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...runk-gas-shock

Read it all the way through.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    see attached link

Cruzr joe

Ugh....I tried, I really did try to read all the way through it...Now I think I'll go shove a rusty nail in my eye...LOL... Looks like it's come down to a paint stick.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

see attached link

Cruzr joe
    Thanks Joe, you beat me to it.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Ugh....I tried, I really did try to read all the way through it...Now I think I'll go shove a rusty nail in my eye...LOL... Looks like it's come down to a paint stick.

Here are the required parts and part #s with Prices.

This is the complete parts that are required to install a second gas shock for the rear trunk.

708300383 Gas Shock $59.99
    708300384 Spacer $10.99 (for m6X30 bolt on top of shock)
    250300039 Ball head stud $5.99 (For Bottom of shock)
    233281414 hex Elastic Flanged Nut M6 $.72 (for ball head stud)
    M6X30 Bolt and domed head nut approx $1.50

Total cost to do the job right 79.19 + S/H

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

thanks for the info. hope it works

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is what I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Only $44.90. I replaced the original because I thought it was losing its oomph. I bought a ball mount from NAPA with a 5/16" stud. I don't remember if I used an M6 or 5/16 bolt on the top end. I also added some fender washers under the nut on both ball studs because the strain of the strut was causing the plastic flange to bend.

You also need a spacer on the top end. I used one that was close in diameter from the hardware store and shortened it to fit.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 12-06-2018 at 10:08 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Regarding the Trunk support ….. if you send me the measurements of the ROD ( eye to eye ) I'll find you one at McMaste-Carr ...they sell for about $ 15.00 per strut and range from about 5lbs to 50lbs in lifting ability ( for the same size strut )…………….. Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Regarding the Trunk support ….. if you send me the measurements of the ROD ( eye to eye ) I'll find you one at McMaste-Carr ...they sell for about $ 15.00 per strut and range from about 5lbs to 50lbs in lifting ability ( for the same size strut )…………….. Mike
    Any guess as to what shipping would be across country? They don't show shipping charges until after you hit the order button. I estimated the whole bit from MMC will be about 1/2 the price of the one from Amazon after you add the fittings. You have to add shipping to that. If you want to deal with bits and pieces you can save $$, but not everyone wants to do that. Where are the MMC struts made, China? For that price they must be.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If I understand correctly, you added a rack and now desire added lifting force?

Consider going to two gas springs of each having a lower pressure vs one higher pressure gas spring.

The reason being is that when the lid is closed, the gas spring is compressed and at the highest pressure and extending force. Sitting there compressed, the plastic gas spring mount at tne bottom and tne hinges are being constantly strained.

Two gas springs, puts less stress into the plastic structure and hinges when closed.

FWIW, the gas spring on our 2014 is now where you must lift the lid to open, but it stays up when there. Could replace the gas spring, but will more likely modify it so I can add pressure when needed.

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue after I put my rack on. First tried a replacement strut and that hardly worked any better. Then I got creative, went to Home Depot and bought a spring to assist the strut, it works great. You just have to stretch the spring out 1 and a half times the length of the strut. Remove one end of the strut and slip the spring over it.spring.jpg
    2016 RT Limited , stock yes red

Spyder Garage

Here are the required parts and part #s with Prices.

This is the complete parts that are required to install a second gas shock for the rear trunk.

708300383 Gas Shock $59.99
    708300384 Spacer $10.99 (for m6X30 bolt on top of shock)
    250300039 Ball head stud $5.99 (For Bottom of shock)
    233281414 hex Elastic Flanged Nut M6 $.72 (for ball head stud)
    M6X30 Bolt and domed head nut approx $1.50

Total cost to do the job right 79.19 + S/H

Cruzr Joe
    Right on -- that's the list I went with.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If I understand correctly, you added a rack and now desire added lifting force?

Consider going to two gas springs of each having a lower pressure vs one higher pressure gas spring.

The reason being is that when the lid is closed, the gas spring is compressed and at the highest pressure and extending force. Sitting there compressed, the plastic gas spring mount at tne bottom and tne hinges are being constantly strained.

Two gas springs, puts less stress into the plastic structure and hinges when closed.

Good advice here....^^^
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2022 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

I added a second strut to the right side and got all the parts (which are the same parts as for the other side) from cheap cycle parts all for around $60 I think.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

In the end, all I did to my 2010 when I wrote this, was relocate the lower mounting hole for the strut. I moved the bottom hole up 3/4" and it solved the problem for FREE and took 10 minutes.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Yes,I broke the bracket for the original left strut and had to replace the inner liner so I added strut on the right side also. I am sure overloading the luggage rack on the lid caused it. No problems since. Should have been OEM from factory. They cheaper out.

Spyder Garage

Here is what I found from a company called Lift supports depot they make a gas strut for the Can Am spyder ..if you input the Can am spyder info in the search boxes it will pull up a gas strut, it does not show if it for the trunk or for the seat but I would image it is for the trunk it is more expensive at $44.90
    Reading through the posts I see that Amazon has the same price for exactly the same strut .....it says "Lift Support Depot" in the Amazon picture.
    Last edited by spydernatic; 12-07-2018 at 05:47 PM.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    In the end, all I did to my 2010 when I wrote this, was relocate the lower mounting hole for the strut. I moved the bottom hole up 3/4" and it solved the problem for FREE and took 10 minutes.
    I did the same thing years ago. Safety Chrome rack added too.
    LewL
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm too lazy for all this. My RPM1 extended warranty covers it, and the new strut is on-order at my dealer right now.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I don't have any rack on my rear trunk lid and had to manually lift it all the way to the fully open spot. So...After reading this thread I bought to replacement from Amazon. It fits perfectly but does not lift the lid much better. It I lift it half way then it will slowly raise it the rest.

So, what is actually supposed to happen with a good strut in place?

Also, a 2nd question. What's this thing in the pic attached to my pass backrest? Didn't notice any mention in any thread. It has a wire going down into the bowels below the box.

Any ideas?? Thanks for your help. Paul

TrunThing.jpg

Spyder Garage

Do you have ADDED lights on the trunk ….. I've asked many times here but no one has provided the info ….. I need the measurement of the Rod - from the center of the socket to the edge of the cylinder …. then do the same for the cylinder …. I'm sure McMaster-Carr has some that will fit ….they come in various strengths …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3whlLefty View Post
    I don't have any rack on my rear trunk lid and had to manually lift it all the way to the fully open spot. So...After reading this thread I bought to replacement from Amazon. It fits perfectly but does not lift the lid much better. It I lift it half way then it will slowly raise it the rest.

So, what is actually supposed to happen with a good strut in place?

Also, a 2nd question. What's this thing in the pic attached to my pass backrest? Didn't notice any mention in any thread. It has a wire going down into the bowels below the box.

Any ideas?? Thanks for your help. Paul

TrunThing.jpg
    The bracket and thing with the wire appears to be the Sat Antenna for Sirius or similar Sat radio.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    The bracket and thing with the wire appears to be the Sat Antenna for Sirius or similar Sat radio.
    ………. it looks exactly like mine ….. I would have thought He knew He had Sirius XM ….. …………..Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. I obviously still have a lot to learn about my toy.

I do have Sirius XM but never thought of that because I never use the radio. I bought this RT used. The original owner must have had a expense account and wanted to use it for advertising. He had it covered in graphics and put on almost every accessory in the book. I'm mostly a minimalist but the ISCI handbrake drew me in. I actually have his original paperwork. He spent a lot of money!!

That said, I do have the high brake light on the trunk lid and the LED circle around the BRP emblem. I suppose they might be enough weight to affect the lift of the gas strut.

Spyder Garage

sounds great my wife added cosmetic and mirror to under trunk. We find we need to add hair brush to hold up trunk;