Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Found a paint stick. Cut it to length. Wife painted it white. Works great for as often as I go into the rear trunk. Total cost...Maybe $.02 for the paint.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Now that I have the rack on the lid of the trunk, the stock strut is no longer strong enough to hold the lid up. So, I looked on the BRP parts fiche and see they hose ya for $65 for a strut.... Has anyone replaced or added a second strut for a better price? That's just ridiculous to charge that much. I was reading the thread about the gas strut upgrade for the seat only costing about $10, was hoping to upgrade that one too. Anyone have any links or part numbers they'd care to share for the seat and the trunk struts?

Thanks,
    Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by glorybiz View Post
    I had the same issue after I put my rack on. First tried a replacement strut and that hardly worked any better. Then I got creative, went to Home Depot and bought a spring to assist the strut, it works great. You just have to stretch the spring out 1 and a half times the length of the strut. Remove one end of the strut and slip the spring over it.Screenshot 2022-06-13 071430.jpg
    I have a 2020 RTL with the added luggage rack. I'm following this thread closely.
    Pierre sells a great little device for those of you with the 2010 to 2019 model. Looks to me like a perfect solution.
    I'm hoping they someone comes out with something similar or the 2020+ models. I imagine the F3 rear trunk has a similar issue.

https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...-trunk-holder/

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Now that I have the rack on the lid of the trunk, the stock strut is no longer strong enough to hold the lid up. So, I looked on the BRP parts fiche and see they hose ya for $65 for a strut.... Has anyone replaced or added a second strut for a better price? That's just ridiculous to charge that much. I was reading the thread about the gas strut upgrade for the seat only costing about $10, was hoping to upgrade that one too. Anyone have any links or part numbers they'd care to share for the seat and the trunk struts?

Thanks,
    Rick
    For the seat uspaparts. com part# c16-20650 it is a 40 lb. lift works great.

Spyder Garage

The strut on my top case of my 21 is bad I had it at the dealer. Dealer is checking if its covered under manufacturers warranty.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I have a 2020 RTL with the added luggage rack. I'm following this thread closely.
    Pierre sells a great little device for those of you with the 2010 to 2019 model. Looks to me like a perfect solution.
    I'm hoping they someone comes out with something similar or the 2020+ models. I imagine the F3 rear trunk has a similar issue.

https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...-trunk-holder/

Screenshot 2022-06-13 071430.jpg
    I have a template of Pierre's piece ( as shown in the pic above ).... I looked at the Fiche' for the 2020 rear trunk .... it has a similar plastic hinge assembly so I think it could fit but possibly needs a little trimming .... E-mail Pierre and ask WHY His piece won't work for 2020 + ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I'm too lazy for all this. My RPM1 extended warranty covers it, and the new strut is on-order at my dealer right now.
    That was Post #19 back in 2018. Now that replacement strut has failed also. I rummaged around in my shed and found a little odd-shaped piece of 1/4in. board that wedges in and holds the lid just fine. I used a Sharpie pen to draw a vertical line where it fits perfectly... total cost: $.00

The dimension that fits is 1-5/8" long. Just wedge it between the trunk-box and the hex nut at the top of the strut.
    Last edited by missouriboy; 06-13-2022 at 04:36 PM. Reason: dimension line.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have a template of Pierre's piece ( as shown in the pic above ).... I looked at the Fiche' for the 2020 rear trunk .... it has a similar plastic hinge assembly so I think it could fit but possibly needs a little trimming .... E-mail Pierre and ask WHY His piece won't work for 2020 + ..... Mike
    Can you message the template to me ?
    I can fabricate something out of plastic in one fashion or other. and modify it if needed.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Can you message the template to me ?
    I can fabricate something out of plastic in one fashion or other. and modify it if needed.
    " message the template " .... .... I would if I could .... I've offered this in other posts .... Just send me your name & address and a Stamp .... and I'll send you a template that you can transfer to plastic or wood. Pierre's model is a hair under 1/2 in. wide ( so it will fit inside the plastic hinge .... mine is 3/8ths and works fine ...... PM me for my address ... Mike

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue after I put my rack on. First tried a replacement strut and that hardly worked any better. Then I got creative, went to Home Depot and bought a spring to assist the strut, it works great. You just have to stretch the spring out 1 and a half times the length of the strut. Remove one end of the strut and slip the spring over it.
    Hey, that's a great idea. I don't know how to get access to the strut. Is it easy ?
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue after I put my rack on. First tried a replacement strut and that hardly worked any better. Then I got creative, went to Home Depot and bought a spring to assist the strut, it works great. You just have to stretch the spring out 1 and a half times the length of the strut. Remove one end of the strut and slip the spring over it.
    Hey, that's a great idea. I don't know how to get access to the strut. Is it easy ?
    Figured it out. Thanks glorybiz. Great idea. For about $5.00 solved the problem.

From the front of the trunk with the passenger back rest removed:

Looking down the hinge well with the trunk open:

Last edited by ThreeWheels; 06-18-2022 at 09:57 AM.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    see attached link

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...runk-gas-shock

Read it all the way through.

Cruzr joe
    Hey, thanks for the throwback to the Flame War. I know they're uncivil, but sometimes I enjoy a good boxing match also.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2022 at 10:51 PM. Reason: their...
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

My 2022 has the added rack and stays open just fine. I'm not sure what it uses for a strut since there is nothing visible. Maybe it will wear out over time. If anyone needs a piece 3D printed just let me know. I can whip you something up really quick if I have the template.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    My 2022 has the added rack and stays open just fine. I'm not sure what it uses for a strut since there is nothing visible. Maybe it will wear out over time. If anyone needs a piece 3D printed just let me know. I can whip you something up really quick if I have the template.
    The struts do wear out ..... it depends on how much it's used, and if you have any extra weight on it ...... I love my HINGE bracket.... Mike ................. If interested, I can tell you how to draw it for your own template ..... let me know ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I sent you a message.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Is there a part number for the spring from home depot? I have it all apart. It's just a weak shock. I ain't paying what they want for the same PO Garbage.

Thanks, Bob
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Is there a part number for the spring from home depot? I have it all apart. It's just a weak shock. I ain't paying what they want for the same PO Garbage.

Thanks, Bob
    Not Home Depot, but I got this one on amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Bob
    You actually would be better off to put another shock on the other side. If you put too much force on the lid the tab the ball mounts to will bend. I put fender washers on both sides of the tab to stiffen it. See this post for links to good discussions about the trunk struts. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1560507

Here's info on what I did. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1406313

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Bob
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...6084/202045472
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

How are you getting it onto the strut ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    You take one of the ends off and then slide it on. Then reinstall the end.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Okay, I know I'm getting up there in years and sometimes don't understand a lot of things. Is this thread about 2020-2021? OR 2019 an older?
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    For both designs of the Spyder RT, you remove the rear passenger back rest and gain access from there. The strut mounting is a little bit different for the pre and post 2020 models, but the spring idea will work for either.
    The photos I posted were for my 2020 RTL.
    I used 1 and 1/2 of the 11/16" springs.
    Remove the strut.
    Compress the strut and hold it compressed using a zip tie. Be careful and safe when handling the springs.
    Slip the springs over the strut.
    Re-install the strut and then cut the zip tie to free the spring.
    Reinstall the passenger back rest.
    Happy Motoring.

This worked for me. I make no representations that this will work for anyone else.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 09-05-2022 at 08:29 PM.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Okay, I know I'm getting up there in years and sometimes don't understand a lot of things. Is this thread about 2020-2021? OR 2019 an older?
    The bulk of the thread is about the 2019 & earlier RT's, but then there are a couple (few ??) of posts on this page that mention 2020+ Spyders.... apart from Frogman Dave's comment re his 2022 & his offer to print up a part given a template, your post #40 is one of the first to even mention the newer RT's, altho ThreeWheels alludes to them around post #35. So most of the info here is not helpful to you, certainly not anything prior to your post!

FWIW, I believe that so far, there's not much besides ThreeWheels' spring, the later version of the wedge thing, or a paint stick to help with your lid...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2022 at 08:33 PM. Reason: later version...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The bulk of the thread is about the 2019 & earlier RT's, but then there are a couple (few ??) of posts on this page that mention 2020+ Spyders.... apart from Frogman Dave's comment re his 2022 & his offer to print up a part given a template, your post #40 is one of the first to even mention the newer RT's, altho ThreeWheels alludes to them around post #35. So most of the info here is not helpful to you, certainly not anything prior to your post!

FWIW, I believe that so far, there's not much besides ThreeWheels' spring, the later version of the wedge thing, or a paint stick to help with your lid...
    Actually, WWW.CanAmSpyderAccessories.com has a great little SS Rod affair that I purchased and it works great.....no more worries wondering if the trunk lid is going to fall on my head. Check it out!
    Last edited by bigbadbrucie; 09-05-2022 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Peter, you are correct. I used to have to proof read for a living. I read the original post and scrolled down to where I saw 2021 RT NOT reading further down that he has an earlier model.

SORRY
    Last edited by Bangorbob; 09-06-2022 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P