Hybrid View

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is what I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Only $44.90. I replaced the original because I thought it was losing its oomph. I bought a ball mount from NAPA with a 5/16" stud. I don't remember if I used an M6 or 5/16 bolt on the top end. I also added some fender washers under the nut on both ball studs because the strain of the strut was causing the plastic flange to bend.

You also need a spacer on the top end. I used one that was close in diameter from the hardware store and shortened it to fit.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 12-06-2018 at 10:08 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Regarding the Trunk support ….. if you send me the measurements of the ROD ( eye to eye ) I'll find you one at McMaste-Carr ...they sell for about $ 15.00 per strut and range from about 5lbs to 50lbs in lifting ability ( for the same size strut )…………….. Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Regarding the Trunk support ….. if you send me the measurements of the ROD ( eye to eye ) I'll find you one at McMaste-Carr ...they sell for about $ 15.00 per strut and range from about 5lbs to 50lbs in lifting ability ( for the same size strut )…………….. Mike
    Any guess as to what shipping would be across country? They don't show shipping charges until after you hit the order button. I estimated the whole bit from MMC will be about 1/2 the price of the one from Amazon after you add the fittings. You have to add shipping to that. If you want to deal with bits and pieces you can save $$, but not everyone wants to do that. Where are the MMC struts made, China? For that price they must be.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

sounds great my wife added cosmetic and mirror to under trunk. We find we need to add hair brush to hold up trunk;

Spyder Garage

Found a paint stick. Cut it to length. Wife painted it white. Works great for as often as I go into the rear trunk. Total cost...Maybe $.02 for the paint.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Now that I have the rack on the lid of the trunk, the stock strut is no longer strong enough to hold the lid up. So, I looked on the BRP parts fiche and see they hose ya for $65 for a strut.... Has anyone replaced or added a second strut for a better price? That's just ridiculous to charge that much. I was reading the thread about the gas strut upgrade for the seat only costing about $10, was hoping to upgrade that one too. Anyone have any links or part numbers they'd care to share for the seat and the trunk struts?

Thanks,
    Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by glorybiz View Post
    I had the same issue after I put my rack on. First tried a replacement strut and that hardly worked any better. Then I got creative, went to Home Depot and bought a spring to assist the strut, it works great. You just have to stretch the spring out 1 and a half times the length of the strut. Remove one end of the strut and slip the spring over it.spring.jpg
    I have a 2020 RTL with the added luggage rack. I'm following this thread closely.
    Pierre sells a great little device for those of you with the 2010 to 2019 model. Looks to me like a perfect solution.
    I'm hoping they someone comes out with something similar or the 2020+ models. I imagine the F3 rear trunk has a similar issue.

https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...-trunk-holder/

Screenshot 2022-06-13 071430.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I have a 2020 RTL with the added luggage rack. I'm following this thread closely.
    Pierre sells a great little device for those of you with the 2010 to 2019 model. Looks to me like a perfect solution.
    I'm hoping they someone comes out with something similar or the 2020+ models. I imagine the F3 rear trunk has a similar issue.

https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...-trunk-holder/

Screenshot 2022-06-13 071430.jpg
    I have a template of Pierre's piece ( as shown in the pic above ).... I looked at the Fiche' for the 2020 rear trunk .... it has a similar plastic hinge assembly so I think it could fit but possibly needs a little trimming .... E-mail Pierre and ask WHY His piece won't work for 2020 + ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have a template of Pierre's piece ( as shown in the pic above ).... I looked at the Fiche' for the 2020 rear trunk .... it has a similar plastic hinge assembly so I think it could fit but possibly needs a little trimming .... E-mail Pierre and ask WHY His piece won't work for 2020 + ..... Mike
    Can you message the template to me ?
    I can fabricate something out of plastic in one fashion or other. and modify it if needed.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Can you message the template to me ?
    I can fabricate something out of plastic in one fashion or other. and modify it if needed.
    " message the template " .... .... I would if I could .... I've offered this in other posts .... Just send me your name & address and a Stamp .... and I'll send you a template that you can transfer to plastic or wood. Pierre's model is a hair under 1/2 in. wide ( so it will fit inside the plastic hinge .... mine is 3/8ths and works fine ...... PM me for my address ... Mike