Thread: 2016 USB Fault

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 USB Fault

Hi All,

I have been getting a USB fault quite often on my 2016 RTE6.

Talked to the dealer about it and was emailed this:

"So I have looked into this issue and you are not the only one experiencing
    this problem!

They have been informed of the issue at BRP and are working on a software
    update to resolve this issue! Only solution at this time is to disconnect
    and reconnect USB.

I will most definitely keep my eyes open and as soon as I hear anything I will give you a shout!I will most definitely keep my eyes open and as soon as I hear anything I will give you a shout!"

I will let you all know when I hear anything else.

Neil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Is this when you plug in a USB device such as a zip drive for music??

Not sure what overcurrent means???? too large of a device??

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

USB protocol limits current, in most cases to 500mA or 2.5Watts at 5V.
    An attempt to plug in a device that draws more than that causes the error,
    A connector or wire that is faulty will also cause the error.
    Last edited by spyderCodes; 05-15-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Probably drawing too much current to charge the device.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Is this when you plug in a USB device such as a zip drive for music??

Not sure what overcurrent means???? too large of a device??

Cruzr Joe
    Yes it's for music. Most of the time it works great, but every once in a while it faults when you start the trike. Unplugging and then re-inserting the drive always gets it working again. Also re-starting the trike will work.
    This happens on 3 different drives: 4GB 8GB and 32GB sticks of two different makes.

Neil
    Last edited by SpyderNeil; 05-16-2016 at 11:18 AM.
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Obviously an internal error in the system. Since USB sticks will not draw more than 500ma.

Does anyone know what spec the USB port in the 2016 Spyder is. USB 2 will be 5V with a 500ma limit. USB 3 will be 5V with a 900ma limit. Likely one of those 2. Would be very nice if they could incorporate the Qualcomm charging port spec. 5V, 9V or 12V at 2000ma

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Obviously an internal error in the system. Since USB sticks will not draw more than 500ma.

Does anyone know what spec the USB port in the 2016 Spyder is. USB 2 will be 5V with a 500ma limit. USB 3 will be 5V with a 900ma limit. Likely one of those 2. Would be very nice if they could incorporate the Qualcomm charging port spec. 5V, 9V or 12V at 2000ma
    So this came up on facebook and some of us think we know what it is....
    A guy posted a spec from a service manual or some BRP documentation. It is USB 2.0.
    Now some of these new sticks that support USB 3.0 can draw on the edge of 500ma.
    Some discussion about heat to the stick causing resistance to rise and the memory chips to get hotter thus making it draw more current.
    Typical ohms law. Increase resistance and current draw goes up! Heat causes resistance to increase in any circuit. In the old days we use to call this thermal runaway.
    So as a test the guy put on a USB extension cable and moved the memory stick to another location where it could get air and stay a little cooler.
    He has not had the error since.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Typical ohms law. Increase resistance and current draw goes up! Heat causes resistance to increase in any circuit...

Bob
    Uh Bob....
    As The last time I looked I really don't think that's what Mr. Ohm said.
    E is IR
    E/R is I
    I is E/R
    If you increase R then I decreases.
    Or was that so long ago that I forgot ?

Spyder Garage

A guy posted a spec from a service manual or some BRP documentation. It is USB 2.0.
    Now some of these new sticks that support USB 3.0 can draw on the edge of 500ma.
    Some discussion about heat to the stick causing resistance to rise and the memory chips to get hotter thus making it draw more current.
    Typical ohms law. Increase resistance and current draw goes up! Heat causes resistance to increase in any circuit. In the old days we use to call this thermal runaway.
    So as a test the guy put on a USB extension cable and moved the memory stick to another location where it could get air and stay a little cooler.

Bob

Hi Bob, coincidentally:

Yesterday I added a short (6") extension cable just to limit the re-inserts, didn't want to damage the trike's cable. After doing this I had no more faults, I'm riding today and will report the faults (or lack of).
    BTW I have only use USB 2.0 sticks.

Neil
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Bob
    So it's USB 2, good to know. By the way when was Ohm's Law changed. Should they not have sent out a press release or something.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Heat causes resistance to go up. Even in a wire.
    If a device needs to draw a certain amount of power like 500ma to operate, then if it gets hotter resistance will go up and thus current will go up. As current goes up more heat and thus increasing resistance even more.

Like I said... it's know as thermal runaway. It's rare in today's electronics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_runaway

"Thermal runaway refers to a situation where an increase in temperature changes the conditions in a way that causes a further increase in temperature, often leading to a destructive result. It is a kind of uncontrolled positive feedback.

In other words, "thermal runaway" describes a process which is accelerated by increased temperature, in turn releasing energy that further increases temperature. In chemistry (and chemical engineering), this risk is associated with strongly exothermic reactions that are accelerated by temperature rise. In electrical engineering, thermal runaway is typically associated with increased current flow and power dissipation, although exothermic chemical reactions can be of concern here too. Thermal runaway can occur in civil engineering, notably when the heat released by large amounts of curing concrete is not controlled. In astrophysics, runaway nuclear fusion reactions in stars can lead to nova and several types of supernova explosions, and also occur as a less dramatic event in the normal evolution of solar mass stars, the "helium flash".
    "

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

You are right on the money!
    But if the current is compensating for the increase in R . . .
    That's what Bob is saying ergo the thermal runaway

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    Uh Bob....
    As The last time I looked I really don't think that's what Mr. Ohm said.
    E is IR
    E/R is I
    I is E/R
    If you increase R then I decreases.
    Or was that so long ago that I forgot ?
    Last edited by PaladinLV; 05-17-2016 at 11:11 AM.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

There is no thermal runaway here. Read all the OP's post. It only happens on startup, when it happens. He is using USB 2 sticks so draws about 100 to 150ma.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    There is no thermal runaway here. Read all the OP's post. It only happens on startup, when it happens. He is using USB 2 sticks so draws about 100 to 150ma.
    Yes, Billy, the fault never occurs while the USB stick is "running", only on startup.
    But it has never faulted on Initial startup (in the garage) only after I have been riding for a while, stop and re-start a few mins. later. Sorry, I never thought to include this in the original post, so heat Could be a factor.

Neil
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

huh?
    This shouldn't turn into a discussion of thermal runaway
    Generally speaking wires get hot when whatever they are connected to has a decreased resistance generally due to a short or a component fault and their current conduction capacity is exceeded.

The wires themselves are merely victims of the real fault.

Plus if you accept that a lightbulb is really just a wire then measure the resistance of that wire before you light it then after it gets hot.

I think you will find the bulb's wire has a lower resistance before it gets hot.
    Last edited by spyderCodes; 05-17-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default not to put too fine a point on it but ...

here's a graph of relative wire resistance versus heat,
    It seems to contradict the "as wires get hot their resistances decreases" school of thought.

Spyder Garage

So I guess super conductors don't really need to be cooled to almost eliminate resistance

Who said a wire getting hot decreases resistance? I said it increases...

Anyway I was sharing an experience from another person about the USB stick getting hot and causing the USB fault.
    Not my theory just what he experienced and did. If it doesn't help your problem so be it..

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

So I guess super conductors don't really need to be cooled to almost eliminate resistance

Who said a wire getting hot decreases resistance? I said it increases...

Anyway I was sharing an experience from another person about the USB stick getting hot and causing the USB fault.
    Not my theory just what he experienced and did. If it doesn't help your problem so be it..

Bob
    You are right you said higher resistance cause the current to go up and in my warped universe that can only happen if resistance goes down because I subscribe to the old ohm's law.

Spyder Garage

Bob
    Hi Bob, just got back from a 300Km ride and I still got the fault, only once but still faulted. I'm going to try moving the stick around the trunk and see if that makes any difference.

Neil
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

I'd contribute to this discussion but I have no idea what you all are talking about! hehehehhee

Spyder Garage

Default Me Too.

Just a note that it's happening to me, too, on my mini-usb stick. It's probably not USB 3.0, I'm too cheap for that and it's overkill anyway for a music stick. I'll try the extension cable thing. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I think that you are missing the info that the dealer said that BRP knows about it and is making a software change. I'm thinking that its measuring too close to min/max and displaying the code, they will just change the amount/parameter read and no more codes.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Belrix View Post
    Just a note that it's happening to me, too, on my mini-usb stick. It's probably not USB 3.0, I'm too cheap for that and it's overkill anyway for a music stick. I'll try the extension cable thing. Thanks!
    This issue SEEMS to be heat related. On cooler days I get very few faults, but yesterday it was in the mid to high 80s and every time I stopped and re-started the fault occurred. Tried moving the stick around in the trunk, but it's pretty warm everywhere in there.
    NEVER had the USB fault while it's running, just on re-starts and only when it's warm.
    I hope BRP comes up with a solution, but I'm not holding my breath!

Neil
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Update June 28 2016

I spoke to the dealership service righter today. She checked BRP's site and told me:

"There will be a software update this fall, and the issue will be addressed then"

Neil
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default I get the fault too

I've had it a few times too, only on start-up. I'll be checking the fall for an update...
    Thanks guys

Ray