Spyder Garage

Default '15 RT A-Arm wiring

So I'm doing a bunch of wiring farkles which I will detail when I am done but I have a question for anyone that has hooked up lighting on the fenders/a-arms of the new style RT. I've got the actual wiring connections down I think but my question is in routing. The instructions from Tricled just don't go into this at all. I saw a Finless Bob video on it but the new style RT's are different.

My exact question is - what is the best way to get wires from the a-arms (both top and bottom) up to say the headlight/turn signal area? There doesn't seem to be a good way to jump from the bottom a-arm to the top and from the top I'm not sure the best route to take. Anyone put on the a-arm drl's and figured out the best route?
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run the wire for the turn signal modules on the fender lights all the time, I route them where they won't get caught in anything and I zip tie the wire to other wires. I find it easiest to start at the mirror and run the wire down, I have a fishing tool that comes with Custom Dynamics brake lights that I use, it is basically a 2' long zip tie.

Do the DRL's that you are installing operate as turn signals also? I've installed the DRL's before and they just hook up on the A-arm no need to run to turn signals.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ann. It's all TricLED stuff. The FenderZ which has a single wire from blinker module to route up there, then the new dual color DRL/Blinker. I've got that fish tool from the CD HMT in rear and I can certainly throw the wire up there, like next to the radiator coolant bottle but I'm just not sure of the best place to tie off the wires so they're not in the way of anything. There just doesn't seem to be a good clean route? I don't know if there is a best/preferred route or not but seems like there would be?
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Thanks Ann. It's all TricLED stuff. The FenderZ which has a single wire from blinker module to route up there, then the new dual color DRL/Blinker. I've got that fish tool from the CD HMT in rear and I can certainly throw the wire up there, like next to the radiator coolant bottle but I'm just not sure of the best place to tie off the wires so they're not in the way of anything. There just doesn't seem to be a good clean route? I don't know if there is a best/preferred route or not but seems like there would be?
    The right side is a little trickier than the left because of the coolant bottle but you just have to kind of wing it. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm sure you'll do fine.

Is the wire supplied by TricLED on this and if so is the blinker module attached? On the fender lights they don't supply the wire so you can wire from the top down, which I find much easier. Custom Dynamics includes a wire so you have to wire from the ground up - not so easy.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ann, I spoke to Reggy and got it sorted out.

OLD/TRADED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I run the wire for the turn signal modules on the fender lights all the time, I route them where they won't get caught in anything and I zip tie the wire to other wires. I find it easiest to start at the mirror and run the wire down, I have a fishing tool that comes with Custom Dynamics brake lights that I use, it is basically a 2' long zip tie.

Do the DRL's that you are installing operate as turn signals also? I've installed the DRL's before and they just hook up on the A-arm no need to run to turn signals.
    This is how I hooked my custom Dynamics LED fender lights.
    When I hooked my A-Arm driving lights I used the plug and play harness included with the driving lights. Zipped tied all wire under top a-Arms.
    Where the showed i ran the wires through black wire looms

Spyder Garage

So I'm doing a bunch of wiring farkles which I will detail when I am done but I have a question for anyone that has hooked up lighting on the fenders/a-arms of the new style RT. I've got the actual wiring connections down I think but my question is in routing. The instructions from Tricled just don't go into this at all. I saw a Finless Bob video on it but the new style RT's are different.

My exact question is - what is the best way to get wires from the a-arms (both top and bottom) up to say the headlight/turn signal area? There doesn't seem to be a good way to jump from the bottom a-arm to the top and from the top I'm not sure the best route to take. Anyone put on the a-arm drl's and figured out the best route?
    Just curious.... what is different on the A-arms as far as running wires from my video?
    This way maybe I can help a local or something should it come up.

Thanks!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Hey Bob, I went back to watch the video again "Installing show chrome fender lights" so I could tell you exactly the part but when I watched it again it appears I misunderstood it the first time I watched it quickly. When I first saw it I thought there was a vertical bar in there but I watched it quickly and must have been tired. There probably is no major difference. Sorry for the confusion...

OLD/TRADED

Spyder Garage

Hey Bob, I went back to watch the video again "Installing show chrome fender lights" so I could tell you exactly the part but when I watched it again it appears I misunderstood it the first time I watched it quickly. When I first saw it I thought there was a vertical bar in there but I watched it quickly and must have been tired. There probably is no major difference. Sorry for the confusion...
    Steve or Finless Bob, can you post the link to that video? I'm getting ready to install the blinker module to my fender LEDs.

Also, what gauge wire did you run?

Thanks

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 06-29-2016 at 04:27 PM.

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Steve or Finless Bob, can you post the link to that video? I'm getting ready to install the blinker module to my fender LEDs.

Also, what gauge wire did you run?

Thanks

Pam
    https://youtu.be/VEJI-6EY22w

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Thank you BillyBovine!

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Hi Pam, Sorry- haven't been on SL in a bit. If you are talking about the DRLs with blinker, I installed everything on the A-arm in the little cavity between the frame and plastic cover. The only thing I ran up was the single yellow wire to the turn signal from the blinker module. IIRC the wire on the blinker module was long enough to run on it's own but if not I think it's either a 20 or 22 gauge. One of these days I need to post some of the pictures from the install and take some of the finished product.

OLD/TRADED

Spyder Garage

Hi Pam, Sorry- haven't been on SL in a bit. If you are talking about the DRLs with blinker, I installed everything on the A-arm in the little cavity between the frame and plastic cover. The only thing I ran up was the single yellow wire to the turn signal from the blinker module. IIRC the wire on the blinker module was long enough to run on it's own but if not I think it's either a 20 or 22 gauge. One of these days I need to post some of the pictures from the install and take some of the finished product.
    Thanks! I'm gonna buy a spool of wire so I can run from the turn signal harness down across the A-Arms to the fender to connect to the blinker module. I just need to know what gauge wire to get. I'll probably go with 20 gauge.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Thanks! I'm gonna buy a spool of wire so I can run from the turn signal harness down across the A-Arms to the fender to connect to the blinker module. I just need to know what gauge wire to get. I'll probably go with 20 gauge.

Pam
    20 gauge should be just fine.

The light kit did not come with wires?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Not long enough to run from the turn signal harness to the fenders.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass