Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Low Fuel Icon On Dash

Hi! Recently my girlfriend (2014 STS) and I (2008 GS) rode to and back from spyderfest. There were a couple of times during our trip that our Low Fuel Light Icon came on. Both times we were less then 15 miles from a gas station. We have both looked at our respective owners manual and can't find out how much fuel or how many miles you have left. On our trip we were averaging around 30 mpg.. Does anyone have a definitive number or an educated guess on how far you can ride after the Low Fuel Light Icon comes on??? Thanks ahead of times for any and all responses!!!
    Running ON Empty

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure...

but you have a gallon at least and I go by my average of 33 mpg as a guide. When my light gets lit I figure it is time to refill and don't go more than the 30 or so miles. I do carry a liter fuel bottle with me just in case but have never had to use it for myself. Did see a post for a ryder on an ST that miscalculate a bit and went 201.6 miles on a tank. I have not pushed the guage down to zero bars but it is nice to know. Mine is an RS and the triples do better on MPG's
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

needless to say the analog gas gauges are not the most reliable. When I had my 2013 RTL the gas icon when on when a little less than half full. My 2015 RTL seems more accurate. With that being said I agree with carrying extra gas with you if you are going on a trip.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS TANK & MILEAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    but you have a gallon at least and I go by my average of 33 mpg as a guide. When my light gets lit I figure it is time to refill and don't go more than the 30 or so miles. I do carry a liter fuel bottle with me just in case but have never had to use it for myself. Did see a post for a ryder on an ST that miscalculate a bit and went 201.6 miles on a tank. I have not pushed the guage down to zero bars but it is nice to know. Mine is an RS and the triples do better on MPG's
    ......AND ...It is in your best interest to learn what each Spyder ( you own ) gets for MPG's ....It's not a question of penny pinching. Knowledge will set you free !!! .... and maybe keep you from running out of gas .....I have found the gauge to be off approx. 1.5 gal. ..........but I don't worry about it because like " chewey " I carry 750ml. in gas......................If you like Tequila, Sauza sells a 750ml glass bottle in a " rectangular "shape that fits really nicely against the side of the rear trunk.....I have riveted a bracket to fit it.......This bottle is for Alcohol so it doesn't leak ( drip ) or SMELL even if it's 100 degree's.....It's just enough to save my butt if I feel RISKY........I have never used in myself ....but have saved more than a few strangers from walking ( even Harley Guys ).........Mike

Spyder Garage

On my 2008 GS I went down to 0 bars and then another 30 miles several times
    Have done the same on my 2014 RT limited
    did not do it on purpose
    just could not find a station
    I don't usually worry about finding a station until the last bar is gone
    I do fill up when the last bar is still on most of the time
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Reset the A meter to zero every time you fill up. Top off the same each time. I do mine to just below the ring in the tank opening. Takes a couple extra squirts to keep it there.

I have driven with zero bars, and a little below empty a couple times. Never run out of gas. Most I ever put in was 5.8 gallons.

The 998 engines, we start looking for gas at about 150 miles--our low fuel light comes on at around 150. The 1330, we look for gas at about 200 miles--the low fuel light comes on about 200.

When we are riding together, I defer to the 998.

Get to know your particular and you will never run out of gas.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default low fuel light

I've experimented a couple times. Light usually comes on at 140 miles. A couple times I was within a half mile of a gas station. Took 4.2 and 4.3 gallons. That means I had just over 2 gallons left. That means I've got about 60 miles left to go when the light comes on. I don't want to be using gas off the bottom of the tank so I fill up at the next station. But at least I know that if I have to go to 190 before I fill up I should be just fine. That's why I zero out the trip odometer every time I fill up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

08 GS, been there and done that, not by choice , Traveling thru Oregon on a Sunday, back roads, lite came on and levels starting to fall, was panicking, as all service stations closed after 3 pm, kinda weird, am sure was on last breath when finally found a gas station. Never again. Mind you that being said had the same issue traveling through Northern Ontario, all gas stations closed, shut down due to 911, ran out of fuel with truck and trailer in tow. THANK GOD FOR THE SPYDER ON THE BACK OF THE TRAILER. Ya just never know, best bet play it safe and fill up at least half or a quarter at minimum.....

Spyder Garage

I have 2012 RTS and have ran it till empty once, fortunately the garage was close by so the walk wasn't to bad. I managed to get 70kms or 43miles from when the light came on. I run on 98 octane which also contributes to the efficiency of the engine. I also replaced the analogue fuel and temp gauges with voltage and oil pressure. The LED gauges on the center console is far more accurate. Each bar on the fuel gauge represents 35km with a little reserve. I feel much more confident now.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Gauge for the Obsessive

Here's a fuel gauge that is really neat.
    It's a CruzPro gauge.
    Here's how it works.
    1. You completely drain your tank.
    2. Then you add a quart, litre, pint whatever unit you wish.
    3. You then tell the gauge you added it.
    4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until tank is full.

The gauge then remembers each reading versus the sender in the tanks resistance.
    After that it is dead nuts accurate to whatever the unit you have chosen.
    It ain't cheap.
    I found a used one on line for about half price.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OCTANE

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn B View Post
    I have 2012 RTS and have ran it till empty once, fortunately the garage was close by so the walk wasn't to bad. I managed to get 70kms or 43miles from when the light came on. I run on 98 octane which also contributes to the efficiency of the engine. I also replaced the analogue fuel and temp gauges with voltage and oil pressure. The LED gauges on the center console is far more accurate. Each bar on the fuel gauge represents 35km with a little reserve. I feel much more confident now.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Using 98 Octane in an engine rated for 91 Octane is like saying .......if 100% PURE is good, then 110% PURE must be BETTER ..............Going 7 octane points over the engines ability to use it, does NOT contribute to the efficiency of the engine..........But don't take my word for it.........Google - Octane ,.....................Knowledge is your Friend ,Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-18-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

the fuel light on my 08 rs comes on at 138 miles and 1 bar left on gauge like it is its job, no matter if i am riding highway at 80 or cruising back roads at 50, so i just plan at 140 miles to fill up and usually get 4.7 to 4.9 gallons, i have never broken 5 gallons when filling

Spyder Garage

each bike may be different...keep reort of it when your lite goes on and you fill up. did you put 4 or 4.5 gallons in? Ther may be a 2 gallon margin, but it ain't worth walking to a gas station...most don't have a can to transport gas back to your bike.
    Motto: get to know your specific bike and it's limits
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Using 98 Octane in an engine rated for 91 Octane is like saying .......if 100% PURE is good, then 110% PURE must be BETTER ..............Going 7 octane points over the engines ability to use it, does NOT contribute to the efficiency of the engine..........But don't take my word for it.........Google - Octane ,.....................Knowledge is your Friend ,Mike
    I'm guessing he's referring to 98 octane - research octane number (RON) - not the method used in the USA of (RON+MON)/2. Research octane number is always higher than motor octane number (MON).
    2009 Spyder Roadster
    Full-time in a 2003 Alpine Coach
    40' motorhome - we live where we're parked