Thread: GPS Install

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Install

Thinking about installing a GPS on my 2015 RTS. Maybe a Zumo or other brand.
    What is the best suggested way/method of getting the power to the unit?
    What are your thoughts on the best mount to hold the GPS?
    Thanks Don

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Thinking about installing a GPS on my 2015 RTS. Maybe a Zumo or other brand.
    What is the best suggested way/method of getting the power to the unit?
    What are your thoughts on the best mount to hold the GPS?
    Thanks Don

A ram X mount works good I use my smartphone I get power by a cigarette lighter plug on my left speaker grill there is a DIY video by finless Bob

Spyder Garage

I'm in the same boat. I'd like something other than my cell phone. Perhaps a bigger screen, waterproof, Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I have to admit, it's expensive, but I love my Garmin Zumo 660. It's got a built-in MP3 player, full maps, it's aware of road types (you can say "avoid gravel roads"), has lots of motorcycle-friendly featuers, and is fully weather proofed.

You hard-wire it in for power and the mounting plate has all the connectors that transfer the inputs and outputs to and from the actual GPS box. Snap the GPS in and all the connections are made. Take it out and everything disconnects.

Spyder Garage

On the other hand this one is not expensive,plays music,has Bluetooth, can do 3D, is waterproof,has a 5 inch screen. A little cumbersome to order, and to use but after using it a few times to find areas I already knew where they were I am getting more confident with it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...69488723115762

Others have ordered it and not been happy. I like mine and I liked the price.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 05-12-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Don't be so confident in how water proof the Zumo is... In fact it may say "weather proof" but that is not actually a true IEEE rating!
    Many folks that got drenched had problems.

Here was my solution and I am not worried about it being weather proof since here in Ca a rarely get in the rain using it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    On the other hand this one is not expensive,plays music,has Bluetooth, can do 3D, is waterproof,has a 5 inch screen. A little cumbersome to order, and to use but after using it a few times to find areas I already knew where they were I am getting more confident with it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...69488723115762

Others have ordered it and not been happy. I like mine ans I liked the price.
    I also have this one and I love it! Just takes awhile to receive it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, I mounted my Zumo 660 between the handlebars, by replacing one of the bolts with a RAM ball.

For power, I cut a small notch in the left-side speaker grill, and then it was easy to run the wires up to the front.
    (I put a PDM-60 in there, but you could wire it most anywhere)

You can see pictures on my thread at http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...01-Farkle-time

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

After 5 years of going thru at least 2-3 of these a year ;down pours, hail storms, snow, and dust storms, I'm pretty confident on how weather proof my 66 IS

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Don't be so confident in how water proof the Zumo is... In fact it may say "weather proof" but that is not actually a true IEEE rating!
    Many folks that got drenched had problems.

Here was my solution and I am not worried about it being weather proof since here in Ca a rarely get in the rain using it.

Bob

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    After 5 years of going thru at least 2-3 of these a year ;down pours, hail storms, snow, and dust storms, I'm pretty confident on how weather proof my 66 IS

AJ
    Eight years on mine. My goodness, I spent all the money and so far only have 8 years of use on it. Maps are updated 4 times a year so I think Ill keep it.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Some of you are lucky then... It is a rebranded Zumo after all so google search it... You will see that many other motorcycle owners have had issues.

But if it is working for you... GREAT!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob Yes I did point out that others have problems. Any more it's a crap shoot with anything you buy from anybody. If anybody buys this I hope it works for you. My advice is use it as much as you can in the time allowed to file an initial claim and if it gives you trouble let them know asap. If you are really worried buy a Square Trade warranty.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze