Spyder Garage

Default Trouble filling the tank and poor gage

I have a 2012 RT. Is it just me, but when I'm filling the tank, i'm real careful about spillage, but the back flow on every gas pump I have used, only lets me dribble the gas into the tank.

Is the tank filler pipe bent so it back-flows quickly?

Also, I thought the tank holds 5 - 5 1/2 gals. At Empty on the gage, I can only dribble in about 3-4 gals. I know there is a reserve, But on a 5 gal tank, 2 gal of reserve sound like a lot.

I don't trust the gage, so I track my miles between fill up.

Just seems the typical BRP stuff - Expensive bike does not mean quality features.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS TANK

No the design of the tank is NO NECK ---direct fill --- and there has to be an AIR pocket for pressure relief .......However BRP adds this amount to the FULL TANK measurement , even tho you can't get it in............and the GAS Gauge is an ESTIMATE ....................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In 2014; they improved the accuracy of the gauges. It's actually now the most accurate fuel gauge that I've ever had in any vehicle that I've ever owned.
    As far as filling the tank: slow and easy does it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Indiana Ken,

Re: Is it just me, but when I'm filling the tank, i'm real careful about spillage, but the back flow on every gas pump I have used, only lets me dribble the gas into the tank.

Based upon my limited experience, it is probably the nozzle on the gas pump. Where I live, some of the rural gas station pumps do not have the auto-set so that I can just click and wait for it to shut off. And some of them only allow the gas to go in rather fast; on those I have to be very careful when gassing up.

My local station works just great. I stick the nozzle in, set the auto-fill to the max setting and wait until it shuts off. As I say, that is not always the case out in the boonies.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    I have a 2012 RT. Is it just me, but when I'm filling the tank, i'm real careful about spillage, but the back flow on every gas pump I have used, only lets me dribble the gas into the tank.

Is the tank filler pipe bent so it back-flows quickly?

Also, I thought the tank holds 5 - 5 1/2 gals. At Empty on the gage, I can only dribble in about 3-4 gals. I know there is a reserve, But on a 5 gal tank, 2 gal of reserve sound like a lot.

I don't trust the gage, so I track my miles between fill up.

Just seems the typical BRP stuff - Expensive bike does not mean quality features.
    On my 2013 RT I figured there was the equivalent of two bars above what you see, and two bars below. I did one time put in 6.4 gals. I had gone 20 miles or more after all bars disappeared and got the gas all the way up to the filler to just about running out.

The design of the tanks causes air and gas to spit back quite readily when you have it almost full.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ken, if you have an RTS or Limited with the analog gauges you can disconnect the fuel and temperature gauge and you will get the stacked bar graph in the main screen instead. The stacked bar seems to give a better reading than the analog gauges and you can use the space where the analogs were for something else like USB ports and voltmeters. It is easy to disconnect, just remove the 4 bolts around the dash and then disconnect the plugs on each gauge. You have to disconnect both the fuel and temperature - it doesn't work if you only disconnect one of them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Go Digital

Ken... I was just going to say exactly what SpyderAnn suggested. I too have a 2012 RT Ltd. Since using the digital readout, I have had better success and accuracy. When filling up I let the pump shut-off automatically. Then I look close and "squeeze" in a just a little more. As Mike said above, there needs to be a decent air pocket so don't "overfill" the tank. If you get into that habit the evap. canister will eventually give you trouble.

With the digital gauge in use I usually fill up at 2-3 bars above empty. If I'm in an area with limited gas availability then I'll stop at the half tank level. The overall distance these machines get is kind of miserable. Once I learned how to manage it appropriately I don't really notice it anymore. The Garmin 660 that came with the Spyder allows me to enter a mile warning level for gas. When I hit the mileage limit, a gas pump appears on the map screen to let me know to start looking for gas.

-Rick
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Limited - Lava Bronze
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts
    - Rivco Floorboards - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - Bad Boy Wolo Air Horn
    - FZ-1 Fuzeblock - Hopnel Lid Nets - Monster Graphics

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks - 1 more thing.

As always - the fellow spyder owners come to the rescue with good information.

1 more question. O have a 2012 RT SE5 - if I disconnect the gages, will my screen show the digital gas gage mentioned.?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As always - the fellow spyder owners come to the rescue with good information.

1 more question. O have a 2012 RT SE5 - if I disconnect the gages, will my screen show the digital gas gage mentioned.?
    Yes, it works on all of the RT model years. I had resisted disconnecting the analogs on my 2010 RTS since I had paid more for them, the base model RT does not have the analogs - just the digital, but after replacing the analog 3 times due to a bouncing gauge I finally gave in. Like someone else said, the gauge on the 2014 is really accurate so I have not disconnected mine - yet. I'm really thinking that a USB on the dash would be nice......
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Analog gauge swap for USB power

Ken, as was mentioned earlier, BOTH gauges need to be disconnected for the digital to work. Here is what I did with the empty holes after I removed the analogs. The "blank covers" can be ordered from any dealer. I got mine from iMortorSports (site sponsor) for less than $10/ea, shipping free.

Attached Images Attached Images
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts

Spyder Garage

Default McCuff

We use a McCuff adapter when filling up. Gives me almost another gallon of gas, and a 200 mile range.

You can find them online search, about 15 bucks.
    2014 RTs, 2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sena SMH10, Prism camera

Spyder Garage

Default Replacement for gages

What else beside the USB ports are people installing instead of engine temp and gas? If I didconnect them both, does the engine temp also show up on the digital?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

What else beside the USB ports are people installing instead of engine temp and gas? If I didconnect them both, does the engine temp also show up on the digital?
    I put in two 12 volt receptacles........first I got two small metal LIDS from two small glass jars, put the receptacles in the lids and just wired them onto the battery ( they had their own fuses )........Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes, it does. The fuel level is on the right side of the digital display, and the engine temp is on the left.

-Fratz

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fratzba View Post
    Yes, it does. The fuel level is on the right side of the digital display, and the engine temp is on the left.

-Fratz
    You people are amazing, I have never even noticed this information on the display before.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    You people are amazing, I have never even noticed this information on the display before.
    The digital display only becomes visible after disconnecting the gauges.

Spyder Garage

Default Digital Gas and Temp readings - Update

Thanks to the helpful folks on Spyderlovers, I pulled the dash and unplugged the gages and presto! digital gas and temp readings.
    Why a expensive bike like the Spyder doesn't use this as the original gages - who knows.

Probably the easiest thing to do on the bike, and most useful change. The OEM gages are terrible.

Thanks again to all.

Safe Riding.