Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear trunk gas shock

Well, after looking at the results of the "search" function for a couple of day, I thought I would ask the general forum if there is anyone who has actually replaced the gas shock on the trunk lid of their RT? I read Bob's fix of using an RC truck shock spring, which is a doable option, but I would really like to replace the weak life that is from the factory. I don't care if this is the way it is designed, I don't like it. I've also searched on E-bay, but it seems like the only place to get this item is either from BRP for $65.00, or Suspa for $90.00. Any help will be appreciated, opinions don't count.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS SHOCK

I know you can get them at the Auto parts store......But I don't have a Part #......someone will and post it for you.........Mike

Spyder Garage

I just put a second shock from BRP on the other side, two shocks work great.

cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I know you can get them at the Auto parts store......But I don't have a Part #......someone will and post it for you.........Mike
    Sorry Mike, the only part numbers that have been posted on this forum are the BRP and Suspra numbers, and those parts as I mentioned, are just too pricy.

David

Spyder Garage

Default Look here then

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Sorry Mike, the only part numbers that have been posted on this forum are the BRP and Suspra numbers, and those parts as I mentioned, are just too pricy.

David
    .......McMaster.Carr.......they have almost EVERYTHING ..............After you check out their site I'm sure you will find lots of things you can't live without ......very good selection of METRIC stuff.......Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2022 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Colour

Spyder Garage

David

David

Reach a little deeper into your pocket and you will find the extra money for this project.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    David

Reach a little deeper into your pocket and you will find the extra money for this project.

Cruzr Joe
    Thanks Joe, it's strange that I never thought of that.

David

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joe, it's strange that I never thought of that.

David

, you are definitely a Hoot.

Joe

Spyder Garage

You won't find it at an auto parts store or McMaster-carr... It was made for BRP by Suspa... So it's a one off Suspa makes.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL - MAYBE

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You won't find it at an auto parts store or McMaster-carr... It was made for BRP by Suspa... So it's a one off Suspa makes.

Bob
    ....Mcmaster -Carr part # 4138T52, and end parts #9416K84 in the correct size for the hole ...............I think about $20.00 total + shipping ......your welcome .............Mike ..... Note: You should take your STRUT out and get EXACT measurements .....and then match them to the charts provided by McMaster Carr ...........but I think the ones above should work.!!!
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-12-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

....Mcmaster -Carr part # 4138T52, and end parts #9416K84 in the correct size for the hole ...............I think about $20.00 total + shipping ......your welcome .............Mike
    Thank you Mike, I'll check that out. I know what/who Mc Master Carr is, but didn't think they would have the gas shock.

David

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmm

Ordering one tomorrow! Thanks , Mike!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default THIS STRUT

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Ordering one tomorrow! Thanks , Mike!
    ...Before you or anyone else orders it........You should make sure the OEM strut measurements are the same or close enough to work !!!!!!..... I did " NOT TAKE MY SPYDER APART " last nite......I just put a tape measure down in and got an ESTIMATE ......PLUS I ONLY THINK that bottom attachment piece is an " eye ".....I got cranky that Bob said McMaster Carr didn't have one......THEY have everything........So some HOMEWORK is necessary.........................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Waiting to see how this all works out...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    Thank you Bob, the only answer that I have come up with so far, is that no none makes a direct replacement for this gas shock. But, I'm not done looking yet, your fix is looking better and better.

David
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2022 at 10:08 PM. Reason: it - is ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thank you Bob, the only answer that I have come up with so far, it that no none makes a direct replacement for this gas shock. But, I'm not done looking yet, your fix is looking better and better.

David

David

For about $65.00 total you get the One made for the Spyder, no jerry riggin and no problem with how it works, you spent in the area of 30,000 for the Spyder so in the grand scheme of things 65.00 is NADA go with the matching shock from BRP.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

David

For about $65.00 total you get the One made for the Spyder, no jerry riggin and no problem with how it works, you spent in the area of 30,000 for the Spyder so in the grand scheme of things 65.00 is NADA go with the matching shock from BRP.

Cruzr Joe
    Joe, I really don't know how to explain this, what you say is perfectly true. I just purchased a gas shock for my new seat that actually holds it open for $11.00. I got a pair of gas shocks for the hood of my SUV that only cost $15.00. I guess I had an aversion to paying 3 times the normal cost for an item just because it has a "name" on it. Maybe I will have to spend the $65.00 to hold the lid of my trunk open, but I hope I can do it for less money. And by the way, I really didn't pay $30,000 for my Spyder, I don't think I would have spent that much money for one. But, I am getting off the point. If I can find a gas shock that will fit and do the job for around $20.00 then I'll buy one, other wise, if the problem is bad enough, then I guess I'll just stick a paint stirrer in there to hold it open.

David

Spyder Garage

Joe, I really don't know how to explain this, what you say is perfectly true. I just purchased a gas shock for my new seat that actually holds it open for $11.00. I got a pair of gas shocks for the hood of my SUV that only cost $15.00. I guess I had an aversion to paying 3 times the normal cost for an item just because it has a "name" on it. Maybe I will have to spend the $65.00 to hold the lid of my trunk open, but I hope I can do it for less money. And by the way, I really didn't pay $30,000 for my Spyder, I don't think I would have spent that much money for one. But, I am getting off the point. If I can find a gas shock that will fit and do the job for around $20.00 then I'll buy one, other wise, if the problem is bad enough, then I guess I'll just stick a paint stirrer in there to hold it open.

David
    I happen to have an extra "paint Stick" if you need one.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

In a previous post it was pointed out that our strut is a one of a Kind creation for RT trunk use only. In the grand scheme of things that makes the trunk lid strut infinitesimal when compared to the uses your SUV hood struts can be used for and the volume that are manufactured.Economics of scale will get you every time.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I happen to have an extra "paint Stick" if you need one.

Cruzr Joe
    Thanks Joe, but I have plenty, trying to get around to painting the deck.

David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    In a previous post it was pointed out that our strut is a one of a Kind creation for RT trunk use only. In the grand scheme of things that makes the trunk lid strut infinitesimal when compared to the uses your SUV hood struts can be used for and the volume that are manufactured.Economics of scale will get you every time.
    It hasn't been proven that a reliable substitute isn't out there, so I'm still looking. At my age what else do I have to do? Anyway, Finless came up with a way that will work, if I decide I can't find a replacement. And, supply and demand used to determine prices until the government got involved, and you can play that game if you want to. I don't mind paying a fair price, but do draw the line at times. Other times I'll just do without.

David

Spyder Garage

David

Cruzr Joe
    With the second shock will the lid stay up with a bag on the rack? (8 - 10 lbs)
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

....Mcmaster -Carr part # 4138T52
    This is 1'' to short Mike.
    The extended Lg on the BRP shock is 8''
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Here Mike... so you can see what it looks like...

Also the LBS force is not near as strong as usual shocks... You get one too strong and your going to break the plastic where the "ball" is mounted on the trunk lid..

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

I took a frame from my video showing the custom end...

This is pressed on not screwed on. The tube of the shock is then flanged closed around the custom end!
    This is not something you can just add to an off the shelf shock! Trust me I looked at trying to do it.
    You will destroy the shock taking the custom end off! Let alone try to put it on a off the shelf shock...

I hope Joe Meyer can get his money back!

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2022 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Removed colour block so all can read! ;-) And deleted comments breaking rules 3, 9, 10... :-/
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black