Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon's Shock Adjusters

Last night I put a set of these on my 2014 RTS. I found the install to be fairly straight forward. I had Ron ship me the compression tools which made the job much easier. From start to finish I had one hour and 30 minutes into it while had a cocktail. I rode the bike in the neighborhood to seat them at zero adjustment and then moved them to 3 turns. I rode the bike again and could notice the change I was looking for in turning. I didn't have an issue with bottoming out that I was trying to correct but I can see how these would help. I was looking for flatter cornering with less dive. I will have to put more miles on it to give more feedback but for now I am very pleased. Ron, as most know, distributes excellent products. I have been buying many things from him over the years without any incident. Feel free to ask any questions. As Ron knows I was on the fence about these for 6 months and I am now pleased that I pulled the trigger.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have mine set at 1 full turn and been testing .. Much better than stock setup.. May try a 1/2 turn more and maybe right on for me..Not all setups will be the same.

Spyder Garage

I have a set on my RTL along with the bar. Totally different ride now. Ditto on the tool, it's a must have.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have them only 14 RTS along with his sway bar and I feel like they are the icing on the cake.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the OEM bar in my bike, and two turns on his preload adjusters made things perfect for me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Alignment and sway bar

Being ignorant of a lot of this I am curious about the order of things with the adjusters, sway bar and alignment.
    i was thinking of getting the laser alignment done soon, then adding the bar and adjusters later.
    It seems to me, my uneducated mind that if I install the bar it will need realigned, is this correct?
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    ..... that if I install the bar it will need realigned, is this correct?
    You shouldn't need to get your Spyder re-aligned after fitting the bar alone. Fitting that, even with the metal links, won't effectively change the static ride height or any of the alignment settings if that's all you've done, altho I guess that since the heavier bar will resist cycling the suspension just a little harder on turns & bumps, it could vary the way your toe-in/out changes as the suspension compresses/extends, but the suspension cycling is gonna do that anyway....

But fitting the pre-load adjusters & changing their settings/the suspension settings anything at all from the stock setting WILL change the Spyder's static ride height & that WILL impact on your alignment; so if you've had the laser alignment done before fitting the adjusters, you'll probably need to have it done again after fitting them, or at least your toe-in/out is likely to have changed....

Enjoy!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think you will need a alignment after installing the shock adjusters unless you are raising the spyder way more than it should be...JMO

I would install the bar first then drive the bike..It will feel much better... then install the shock adjusters. Then you are now on rails when riding.

If you feel you need an alignment after that then go for it.
    Last edited by trikermutha; 05-11-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You shouldn't need to get your Spyder re-aligned after fitting the bar alone. Fitting that, even with the metal links, won't effectively change the static ride height or any of the alignment settings if that's all you've done, altho I guess that since the heavier bar will resist cycling the suspension just a little harder on turns & bumps, it could vary the way your toe-in/out changes as the suspension compresses/extends, but the suspension cycling is gonna do that anyway....

But fitting the pre-load adjusters & changing their settings/the suspension settings anything at all from the stock setting WILL change the Spyder's static ride height & that WILL impact on your alignment; so if you've had the laser alignment done before fitting the adjusters, you'll probably need to have it done again after fitting them, or at least your toe-in/out is likely to have changed....

Enjoy!
    A very good assessment!

You are accurate that installing the sway bar will not affect static alignment (going straight ahead). And you are correct again that the sway bar WILL affect dynamic alignment (in turns, crosswinds or buffeting when passing large trucks at freeway speeds). As you said, when the suspension articulates through these conditions your alignment is altered. The more you lean or dive, the more your alignment is changed. Because the sway bar limits/controls excessive movement of the suspension, it also helps to maintain proper alignment. This adds greatly to improved control and handling.

As for the Shock Adjusters you are correct again in that if you use these adjusters to significantly alter the ride height at which the alignment was done, it will negatively affect alignment. But the intended function of my Shock Adjusters is not so much to CHANGE ride height. But to MAINTAIN the original ride height at which the alignment was done. Without the ability to make adjustments to the front shocks, every time you load your Spyder for a trip, riding 2 up, etc., your Spyder will settle, or lose ride height (ground clearance) under the additional load. The loss of ride height can be substantial and this will have a negative affect on alignment which affects steering control, handling and tire wear.

With the shock adjusters installed you simply turn up the spring pre-load on your front shocks until the original ride height (ground clearance) is reached. This not only helps to keep you from banging the nose of your Spyder on the ground (driveway ramps, potholes, speed bumps, etc.), it helps maintain original alignment which improves steering control, handling characteristics and reduces tire wear.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My thoughts as all are right...if you are going to get a sway bar, adjusters and an alignment do the alignment last. It makes sense.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Now that I have put over a hundred miles on tonite with the new adjusters and all I can say is WOW!