Spyder Garage

Default What does this brake failure code mean - C1282 - on 2009 GS?

Recently on a trip I got the Brake Failure Warning. Brakes seemed to work fine, brake fluid topped off. Cautiously completed trip home and did a code check. Displayed a code of O C 1282 but cannot find this code in any research. Anyone know what it means?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-14-2024 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Corrected code alpha-numeric ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

THAT CODE - O C 1282 ??

I think you read the code wrong?? !!!!! ................ But the Brake fluid measurement is UBER fussy...... if you are going by what you see on the side of the container it could be a tablespoon off and it will code ...... I would add a little ...... and make sure the caps are at 8 pm as you look down from the left side of the bike .................... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-14-2024 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Let's see.... Brake failure can come from several places. Brake fluid but also brake light switch sticking; brake light bulbs burned out; ryding with your foot on the brake; & more... So if it clears and does not come back you should be fine. If the warning continues, check those parts mentioned....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-14-2024 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think you read the code wrong !!!!!................and the Brake fluid measurement is UBER fussy......if you are going by what you see on the side of the container it could be a tablespoon off and it will code ......I would add a little......and make sure the caps are at 8 pm as you look down from the left side of the bike ....................Mike

Checked it twice because it was such unusual code, thought maybe because it was an older GS model.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS T View Post
    Checked it twice because it was such unusual code, thought maybe because it was an older GS model.
    When you say brake fluid caps at 8pm are you talking about the bulge type marker on the cap pointing at 8pm?

Spyder Garage

When you say brake fluid caps at 8pm, are you talking about the bulge type marker on the cap pointing at 8pm?
    ......Yep, bulge/nub .... If you are standing along the right side facing the caps and looking down, it would be at 8 or 8:30 pm ....... at least on my CONTAINERS they are, and I think they are all the same ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-14-2024 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......Yep, bulge/nub .... If you are standing along the right side facing the caps and looking down, it would be at 8 or 8:30 pm ....... at least on my CONTAINERS they are, and I think they are all the same ..... Mike
    Thanks for reply, went for quick spin with hard braking, no problem but still have warning. Front pads look good, outside rear pad looks good but cannot see inner pad too well. It looks thinner but still looks ok at 30000 miles.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-14-2024 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for reply, went for quick spin with hard braking, no problem but still have warning. Front pads look good, outside rear pad looks good but cannot see inner pad too well. It looks thinner but still looks ok at 30000 miles.
    Found a thread where someone else had the same code, C1282. They said it was low pressure detected, check for leaks. I added some fluid, see no leaks and am trying to clear the fault code now. Could the caps on the brake reservoir need replacing after 7 years? Don't seem to be making much of a tight seal.

Spyder Garage

Found a thread where someone else had the same code, C1282. They said it was low pressure detected, check for leaks. I added some fluid, see no leaks and am trying to clear the fault code now. Could the caps on the brake reservoir need replacing after 7 years? Don't seem to be making much of a tight seal.
    The caps do not hold any pressure and are not intended to. That's why there is a vent in each cap.

C1282 Is low pressure detected. Brake fluid may be going bad. When was the last time it was changed? Pressure switch gone bad may need a new one.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The 2010 service manual says that a Low Pressure Fault must be cleared by BUDS. But I do remember someone giving a procedure to clear it another way. Maybe they will post.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

In your first post, you posted that you had a code - O C 1282 ..... this kind of threw me ......Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-14-2024 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Once you start having brake failure codes they tend you continue even after you've topped the fluid etc. You mention about resetting so you may already know these steps but just for completeness.

• Turn on the and key wait until system is fully booted up.
    • Press the brake peddle down. You need to hear 2 clicks. One is the brake light switch and the 2nd click is the low pressure switch. As I'm deaf I just stand on the brake peddle and assume there are two clicks:-)
    • While holding the brake peddle turn the key off and WAIT until the system completely shut down.
    • Wait about 5 minutes then turn the key back on. Error should be cleared.

If that did not work try :

• Turn on the key and wait until system is fully booted up.
    • Press the brake peddle for the 2 clicks.
    • While holding the brake peddle turn the key off but this time before it fully shuts down, turn the key back on.

Spyder Garage

If its still displayed, try flipping the key on/off 5 times in rapid succession, it may still be stored but usually disappears if the problem it senses is corrected.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Cool

Thanks guys. This website is so great for those who do their own work. Bled the brakes this weekend and could not clear the fault code based on previous discussions, but after reading the post from Pistonblown I got it cleared. Just have to ride it now and see if it stays gone. Great work guys. Be safe.

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-14-2024 at 11:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi all. I have had the brake failure code a few times on my 08 GS. I have been successful in clearing it using the instructions above but today it is not clearing. One thing I am noticing is I do not hear the clicks this time. Anything I am missing? Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. I did check the brake fluid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by $08SpyderGS; 06-28-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

my 09 gs too same problem brakes work good, dealer said brakes needed bleeding $325

been riding with the warning for 35k miles still stops good

Spyder Garage

Recently on a trip I got the Brake Failure Warning. Brakes seemed to work fine, brake fluid topped off. Cautiously completed trip home and did a code check. Displayed a code of O C 1282 but cannot find this code in any research. Anyone know what it means?
    The code is C1282. Brake failure. Low pressure detected. Hydraulic Brake circuit possible leak. Check brake circuit for fluid leak.

That is what the book said. Good luck.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Once you start having brake failure codes they tend you continue even after you've topped the fluid etc. You mention about resetting so you may already know these steps but just for completeness.

• Turn on the and key wait until system is fully booted up.
    • Press the brake peddle down. You need to hear 2 clicks. One is the brake light switch and the 2nd click is the low pressure switch. As I'm deaf I just stand on the brake peddle and assume there are two clicks:-)
    • While holding the brake peddle turn the key off and WAIT until the system completely shut down.
    • Wait about 5 minutes then turn the key back on. Error should be cleared.

If that did not work try :

• Turn on the key and wait until system is fully booted up.
    • Press the brake peddle for the 2 clicks.
    • While holding the brake peddle turn the key off but this time before it fully shuts down, turn the key back on.
    Pistonblown,

IDK whether you're still on this thread but THANKS for posting this info. Eight years later, still useful and much appreciated!!