Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Northeast U.S. Trip to Nova Scotia

Hello Ryders!

I'm getting geared up for a solo round trip ride from upstate NY to Nova Scotia, Canada in July this year. I'm interested to hear from those who have made a similar trip to Nova Scotia and any advice. I am a relatively new rider (last year was 1st year riding). I will be taking 7-8 days for the round trip journey with stops at campgrounds for overnights.

My current route takes me through the Adirondacks, across Lake Champlain to Vermont, on to the Kancamagus Highway (NH), then to Bar Harbor (ME), and finally to the Digby Ferry in Saint John, New Brunswick for a crossing to Nova Scotia. I have no real "must see" sights and welcome suggestions.

I am no stranger to long days and many miles as I typically log 200-300 miles/day for work (sales rep). My Spyder was recently upgraded with the BajaRon sway bar, SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, and MotorCycle Dave's gel seat insert. These were all done in preparation for this trip.

Thanks for your comments and advice.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Limited - Lava Bronze
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts
    - Rivco Floorboards - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - Bad Boy Wolo Air Horn
    - FZ-1 Fuzeblock - Hopnel Lid Nets - Monster Graphics

Spyder Garage

So many great places to ride in Nova Scotia. The Cabot Trail is your first MUST. Once you cross the Canso Causeway stay left and hit route 19 up the coast to Cheticamp and the start of the trail. The actual trail is only 4 hours to ride around so if you can, do it both directions. Peggy's Cove is another great place to visit and stay on the Lighthouse route for a great ride along the coast and views of the Famous Oak Island.
    Avoid the Eastern shore route as it has very rough roads much of which has weeds growing through the cracks in the pavement. Lots of great small motels and B&B to stay at with the maritime hospitality. The Coastal Waters restaurant in Ingonish is a great place to eat. Check it out on YouTube on the TV show YOU GOTTA EAT HERE. It is also the only place to get the Cabot Trail Biker t-shirt. Here are a couple good sites to check out.
    cabottrailbiker.Com and motorcycletourguidens.Com

Spyder Garage

Default Great info

Thanks BigPaw, great information. I will incorporate as much as I can into the trip. Very much appreciated!!
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
    Hello Ryders!

I'm getting geared up for a solo round trip ride from upstate NY to Nova Scotia, Canada in July this year. I'm interested to hear from those who have made a similar trip to Nova Scotia and any advice. I am a relatively new rider (last year was 1st year riding). I will be taking 7-8 days for the round trip journey with stops at campgrounds for overnights.

My current route takes me through the Adirondacks, across Lake Champlain to Vermont, on to the Kancamagus Highway (NH), then to Bar Harbor (ME), and finally to the Digby Ferry in Saint John, New Brunswick for a crossing to Nova Scotia. I have no real "must see" sights and welcome suggestions.

I am no stranger to long days and many miles as I typically log 200-300 miles/day for work (sales rep). My Spyder was recently upgraded with the BajaRon sway bar, SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, and MotorCycle Dave's gel seat insert. These were all done in preparation for this trip.

Upstater, What route are you taking after you cross into Vermont to get to the Kancamangus Highway( NH)?

Which ferry are you taking to go across Lake Champlain to Vermont?

If I see you on the highway I will wave, and give you the sign. Bring camera.

Have a safe ride. When you are on the Kancamangus Highway ( NH) watch out for moose, and there are places to pull off and take pictures, and stretch etc. Before you get on the Kancamangus highway get gas if you need to.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default Port Kent?

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Upstater, What route are you taking after you cross into Vermont to get to the Kancamangus Highway( NH)?

Which ferry are you taking to go across Lake Champlain to Vermont?

If I see you on the highway I will wave, and give you the sign. Bring camera.

Have a safe ride. When you are on the Kancamangus Highway ( NH) watch out for moose, and there are places to pull off and take pictures, and stretch etc. Before you get on the Kancamangus highway get gas if you need to.

Deanna
    Thanks, Deanna! I grew up in New England and spent a LOT of time in the White Mountains. I so desperately want to ride my Spyder through there on the way to Nova Scotia. Very familiar with the Kanck and always gas up before heading out, great advice.

Not sure exactly which ferry I will take yet, but most likely it will be the Port Kent to Burlington. I want to pick up Rt. 89 to get to Rt. 302. It's the longest ferry ride, but gets me where I want to go quicker. Plus, it will be a nice rest after a long day of riding. I'll probably camp somewhere for the night after crossing. Then an early start the next morning. Not sure where your neck of the woods may be, but we'll be in touch as I get closer. Would love to catch up with you and Mike if time allows.

Spyder Garage

A good stop on your way when you are going across New Hampshire is the Mt. Washington auto road. It is a great ride to the top of Mt. Washington.

2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

The best advice I can give you is to book your hotel, B&B, campgrounds, etc. now. We are also going out east this August, and I had a heck of a time finding reasonable prices for Hotels, and B&Bs for our dates. A lot of places have a 2 or 3 night minimum. It seems that with the crappy Canadian dollar. We Canadians are staying north this summer, and you Americans are heading north for summer vacations. You may end up not being able to get a room for the night. Also, if you are heading there from July 24 to August 6, Quebec Construction holidays are that time. Most Quebecers that are in the construction industry will be heading to the eastern provinces at that time. All in all, it makes for a really difficult time to get a room somewhere.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Deanna! I grew up in New England and spent a LOT of time in the White Mountains. I so desperately want to ride my Spyder through there on the way to Nova Scotia. Very familiar with the Kanck and always gas up before heading out, great advice.

Not sure exactly which ferry I will take yet, but most likely it will be the Port Kent to Burlington. I want to pick up Rt. 89 to get to Rt. 302. It's the longest ferry ride, but gets me where I want to go quicker. Plus, it will be a nice rest after a long day of riding. I'll probably camp somewhere for the night after crossing. Then an early start the next morning. Not sure where your neck of the woods may be, but we'll be in touch as I get closer. Would love to catch up with you and Mike if time allows.
    Upstater, If you take the Port Kent to Burlington Ferry ,take Interstate 89 South to Exit 7 ( Berlin, Barre Exit) and follow signs to Route 302.

You can also check/or dial 511 for instant road information thought Vermont. By dialing 511 you can access road and weather conditions and road construction updates for a specific route or region. Just dial 511 and you will immediately receive updated road information, throughout Vermont. If you are approaching Vermont from out of state, you can access road information by dialing
    (802)- 828- 4894. You can also access Vermont's 511 system on the web. Here you will find info. about the traffic and road conditions, visiting Vermont, and local transit.

There is a can-am dealership in Essex Junction, Vermont if you need one. Do a Google search on Camping in the Burlington Area (Vermont) for places to stay, and near Interstate 89 South. Mike and I are near Waterbury, (Exit 10) area. Stay in touch.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 05-09-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TO NOVA SCOTIA

Hi, I have never been there however my good friend Karyl has ( aka Murphy Brown ) I would PM Her directly ....She is headed to West Virginia from Spyderfest.........As for riding info thru Vermont , I know it like the back of my hand. If you want UBER twisties I need to know where you plan to START from !!!!!......" UPSTATE NY " is about a Gazillion square acres. If you help me I can help you.......If you need to be private just PM me ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick k View Post
    A good stop on your way when you are going across New Hampshire is the Mt. Washington auto road. It is a great ride to the top of Mt. Washington.

Great suggestion! I've been up there so many times in the past I actually forgot about it. It would be cool to say, "My Spyder Climbed Mt. Washington!"

Spyder Garage

Went to Nova Scotia back in 1997, so my information is now pretty dated. Liked our stop at Peggy's Cove, the Museum in Halifax, and the Bay of Funday. They say the Cape Breton side of NS is very beautiful.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    The best advice I can give you is to book your hotel, B&B, campgrounds, etc. now. We are also going out east this August, and I had a heck of a time finding reasonable prices for Hotels, and B&Bs for our dates. A lot of places have a 2 or 3 night minimum. It seems that with the crappy Canadian dollar. We Canadians are staying north this summer, and you Americans are heading north for summer vacations. You may end up not being able to get a room for the night. Also, if you are heading there from July 24 to August 6, Quebec Construction holidays are that time. Most Quebecers that are in the construction industry will be heading to the eastern provinces at that time. All in all, it makes for a really difficult time to get a room somewhere.
    Thanks for the advice. The trip will be early July before the Quebec construction season. Hoping to avoid as much as possible.

Sent using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Nova Scotia ride

Not an expert on Nova Scotia, but I have been there several times. Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail are definite musts. Doing the Cabot Trail both ways is best, but if you only have time for one loop go counter clockwise, from Baddeck to Ingonish, Cape North, Cheticamp and Margaree Harbor. This puts you on the side of the road closest to the ocean and gives you the best views, plus easy access to the overlooks which will be on the right side of the road. If driving near sharp drop offs to the side bothers you, then go clock wise. A stop for whale watching around Pleasant Bay or Cheticamp is worth while. If your into history the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck might be of interest. A good place to stay in the Baddeck area is the Trailsman Motel in Nyanza. I assume you will cross New Brunswick going one direction or the other unless you take the St John/Digby ferry twice. In New Brunswick the Hopewell Rocks just south of Moncton are worth a stop, especially if you can take the time to see them both at high and low tide, a six hour wait. The tidal bore at Moncton can be good, or a complete flop. The bore ranges from a ripple going up the river to being several feet high. While you're in the neighborhood you might also think about taking in Price Edward Island. Access is easy via the 9-mile long Confederation Bridge. A good place to stay is Clark's Motel in Summerside. Reasonable price, clean, and the owners are very helpful. Crossing Lake Champlain via one of the ferries is nice, but consider going one way via the Champlain Bridge and Route 17. Route 17 will take you over Appalachian Gap, a great road, and Blueknight911 (aka Mike) lives just a few miles north of the jct of Rtes. 100 and 17.
    Hope you have a great trip.
    Craig

s

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wife and I went last year. Cabot trail was great, lots to see, great place to ride.
    If camping there is a KOA in Sidney that is ran by a young couple that were awesome. They ride motorcycles also and gave us some locations to go to and see that were not on the normal sight seeing trip. The pic below is set up at their KOA.

Halifax board walk was a good time, Peggy's Cove is a must see, make sure you see a tidal bore, most locals will tell you the best place to see it. We went in August last year and had very thick fog every single morning, so the rides didn't start until after 10:00 am every day. Not all bad, got to catch up on some reading.
    We tried to follow the coast around as much as possible but all of the back roads had been destroyed by bog trucks. After bottoming out a few times, breaking a bolt on the trailer hitch, and finding with three wheels it is very hard not to hit a pothole with one of them, we stuck to the main roads to get from town to town, or viewing spot to viewing spot, and then used the back roads to get to the ocean.
    We had rain 10 out of 14 days, but still had a great time and thought it was worth the trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Wow, thanks Craig. Great suggestions. I'll incorporate them into the trip. The ferry ride is chance to rest and recharge a bit. It will depend on the mood when I get in the vicinity. Sometimes I get too antsy for the 1hr trip and may just take the bridge route instead.
    I may also ride further south on the thruway to Albany and cut through to VT via the Troy route to save some time. I see enough of NY on my daily 100-300 mile treks.
    Thanks sgain for your suggestions. Stay tuned...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Wife and I went last year. Cabot trail was great, lots to see, great place to ride.
    If camping there is a KOA in Sidney that is ran by a young couple that were awesome. They ride motorcycles also and gave us some locations to go to and see that were not on the normal sight seeing trip. The pic below is set up at their KOA.
    Halifax board walk was a good time, Peggy's Cove is a must see, make sure you see a tidal bore, most locals will tell you the best place to see it. We went in August last year and had very thick fog every single morning, so the rides didn't start until after 10:00 am every day. Not all bad, got to catch up on some reading.
    We tried to follow the coast around as much as possible but all of the back roads had been destroyed by bog trucks. After bottoming out a few times, breaking a bolt on the trailer hitch, and finding with three wheels it is very hard not to hit a pothole with one of them, we stuck to the main roads to get from town to town, or viewing spot to viewing spot, and then used the back roads to get to the ocean.
    We had rain 10 out of 14 days, but still had a great time and thought it was worth the trip.
    Awesome pics, thanks for sharing your experiences and advice. I'll be sure to incorporate it on the trip. I'm looking forward to seeing some of these sights. I've been in touch with the KOA already, great folks!

Sent using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a great trip along great coastlines. When you get to Peggy's Cove, have the Fish Chowder there ! The best !!

Get A take out container of it, sit on the rocks and take it all in. Memories for a lifetime, and remember to post some pics for us.
    2016 RT Special & 2017 RTS Pearl
    CATSKILLS SPYDER RIDERS - ADM

www.catskillsspyderryders.com & www.facebook.com/groups/catskillsspyderryders

[/url]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FieldTester View Post
    Sounds like a great trip along great coastlines. When you get to Peggy's Cove, have the Fish Chowder there ! The best !!

Get A take out container of it, sit on the rocks and take it all in. Memories for a lifetime, and remember to post some pics for us.
    It's officially on the "a-list." Thanks for the suggestion. With all these great suggestions I won't need to plan a thing. Who needs AAA when you're a member of SpyderLovers?

Spyder Garage

Sue and I have done the Cabot trail a few times. As.stated above if you only have time for one trip around, go counter clockwise. If you like forts, the oldest one in North America is Louisville just down the road from Dartmouth. Great country?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    That's funny we did that area in August 2014 and had no trouble getting rooms. We just rode until we were tired and then got a room.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello Ryders!

We just went for it in 2014, many resources online. Cabot trail was nice, if you see a Mother Webb's eat there.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Salutations! I'm from NS & did the opposite trip a few times. Save your money & ryde from Saint John NB to NS. The ferry is overpriced & it only takes about 4-5hours off your trip.

You're rydind a Spyder. The more time you have in the saddle, the bigger the smyles!!! 😉

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I agree about the ferry. It is expensive. We always ride. In Moncton, NB there is a huge Can Am dealership. Biggest one I have ever been to. Bruce

Spyder Garage

When driving into Nova Scotia on 2 from Moncton a great photo opportunity is a stop at the welcome sign. This would make for a great Spyder pic.

2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default PEI

Don't forget Prince Edward Island! One of my favorite places.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!