Spyder Garage

Default Miles to replace >>F3<< Rear tire?

I've seen the "when do I replace my rear tire" threads several times over the years, but I haven't see any reference to the F3. I'm at about 7,500 now and not even close to the tire wear indicators.
    Question: Has anyone replaced a rear F3 tire yet and if so, at what mileage?

F3S Steel Black Metallic
    Former owner of '12 RT-S SE-5 and '09 GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default 10,000 miles for me

but I have to say that I did A LOT of burnouts in that first 10000 miles. I have gotten better in the last 5000 miles on the 2nd tire about being able to take off quickly without spinning the tire so much.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I think you are doing good for an F3. Most people tend to ride them a little harder. I usually get 13K out of my rear tires on the RT's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My riding partner replaced his at around 14000 on his F3S.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure Hal Biker Doc has replaced his rear tire more than once on his F3. Maybe he will chime in, if he isn't out riding.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Just shy of 12,000 miles

Replaced mine last month, just shy of 12k miles, was worn out in the center not to much on the sides. Checked the pressure normally and it was spot on so not sure why the middle worn out so much faster. Hope the new tire wares better.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Retired 2012 View Post
    Replaced mine last month, just shy of 12k miles, was worn out in the center not to much on the sides. Checked the pressure normally and it was spot on so not sure why the middle worn out so much faster. Hope the new tire wares better.
    The Kendas always wear out in the center first on any model.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

8500 miles.
    Could have squeezed a few more but changed it anyway.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slagiatt View Post
    I've seen the "when do I replace my rear tire" threads several times over the years, but I haven't see any reference to the F3. I'm at about 7,500 now and not even close to the tire wear indicators.

I replaced mine at 12,500kl and the reason the center is more worn than the sides is to much pressure I set it to 28psi is best but mined you if you are over weight well go higher. I replaced all tires at 12,500 mainly because Kendas are a real crap tire just like the rear shock.
    Last edited by Bruce B; 07-01-2016 at 12:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Retired 2012 View Post
    I always assumed it was because it "balloons" while spinning or doing burnouts

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks...with follow-up Comment

I really appreciate all the feedback on my post.

I saw some references to center wear and tire pressure. I'm running 15 psi cold (per manual instructions.) I'll post later when I finally get to replacing the tire if I saw mostly center tire wear.

All the best!

Richard
    F3S Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really appreciate all the feedback on my post.

I saw some references to center wear and tire pressure. I'm running 15 psi cold (per manual instructions.) I'll post later when I finally get to replacing the tire if I saw mostly center tire wear.

All the best!

Richard

MMM! 15PSI is for the front tires, that might be a bit low for the rear. I believe manual says 28 for the rear which is a bit high imho. I am currently running 26 in the rear riding 2 up and 16 up front.

Spyder Garage

Default 28 rear

Yes, I'm also running 28 in the rear...just forgot to mention that.
    15 in the rear might not get me out of the driveway.
    F3S Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Ive got 7300 miles on my Kenda rear tire. Im waiting on my Kumho to get to have it replaced. I don't do burnouts and Im extremely close to being a racing slick in the middle of the tire.

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not to hijack this thread, but since we are talking about tire pressure, my rear is set at 28psi per the operator manual. When I ride, it goes up 33-34 psi (measured by Fobo). My front stay within 2psi of when they were cold. Is it normal for the rear tire to increase psi so high while riding?

P.S. This is solo riding, not two up.
    Last edited by armyspydervet; 05-15-2016 at 06:29 PM.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I run 22 PSI in the front and 26 in the rear.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

..... 15 in the rear might not get me out of the driveway.
    I've been running 16-18 psi all round in (the slightly larger than OE spec) Kumho KH17's I'm running under my 2013 RT Ltd instead of the OE Kenda crap for quite a while now... (just remember, bigger & 'stronger/better' made automotive tires will generally need less air to carry the same load! ) The Kumho's I've been running front & rear have performed fantastically for over 20,000 km now vs the less than 5,000 km I got from the OE Kenda's, & yet the Kumho's are still looking good for quite a few more km easily - and despite the lower pressures in them I've also been getting far greater traction, much better ride, & more direct handling too!!

Now admittedly, the tire pressures that work for me might not work at all for you simply due to our different riding styles, even if all other things are equal, but still... And as I mentioned earlier, since most aftermarket tires are better constructed & made out of stronger materials (& in my case, are also a couple of sizes larger) they will generally need LESS air to carry the same load, ie, the Spyder - just cos when you compare the loads they expect to carry when fitted to a car, fitting just about any 'proper' tire under a Spyder instead of that Kenda rubbish will mean the tire is carrying a fraction of the load it's capable of carrying, so it shouldn't need the same sort of pressure to still do the job & do it well!! And that's exactly what I've found!

Ps - armyspydervet, that increase of 2 psi up front isn't 'so much' at all for the fronts, but the increase of more than 6psi in the rear is a tad too much!! Basically, if your front tire pressures aren't increasing by about 4psi after an hour or so of riding, there's a very good chance that your front tires are NEVER getting up to their optimal operating temps!! You should expect a tire pressure increase of 4-6psi from cold if the tire is heating up properly & reaching that optimal temp - less than 4psi means your front tires are running a bit cold & won't be giving you the best ride &/or traction they could! So yours would probably benefit from dropping 1 or possibly even 2 psi when cold! But the rear tire that shows that increase of more than 6psi suggests your rear tire is heating up too much; so it's running an increased risk of compound or carcass failure, punctures, etc; and it will probably be wearing quicker in the middle than it should be as the over-heated carcass balloons & the centre strip of tread compound peels off during use! Kenda's tend to do that ballooning thing anyway, cos they are made of such lightweight material (1/2 the strength of most other tires!!) but even so, your rear tire would probably benefit from adding a couple more pounds of pressure to it when it's cold, maybe even as much as 3psi... Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default REAR TIRE REPLACEMENT

Replaced my rear tire at 8200 miles after lots of spirited cornering. Spyderpops Harvey did his usual wonderful job! Replaced with a new KENDA! I love the way this tire hooks up! and don't mind the trade-off of having to replace a performance tire more often. I think this tire was engineered for the F3. I am now going to turn off my computer to escape the blast of KENDA haters.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    Replaced my rear tire at 8200 miles after lots of spirited cornering. Spyderpops Harvey did his usual wonderful job! Replaced with a new KENDA! I love the way this tire hooks up! and don't mind the trade-off of having to replace a performance tire more often. I think this tire was engineered for the F3. I am now going to turn off my computer to escape the blast of KENDA haters.
    Not a Kenda hater but certainly not a Kenda lover either... I must confess I giggled more than a lil bit when you mentioned Kenda and performance tire like they somehow go together 😎
    Glad you like them👌

Spyder Garage

Default Kenda

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    Not a Kenda hater but certainly not a Kenda lover either... I must confess I giggled more than a lil bit when you mentioned Kenda and performance tire like they somehow go together ��
    Glad you like them��
    Always like to hear from the gigglers

Spyder Garage

Just replaced mine at 6920 miles, there is a price for riding twisties in East Tennessee.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
    Just replaced mine at 6920 miles, there is a price for riding twisties in East Tennessee.
    I just replaced my first at 4600 kms (2600 m) . A little too much throttle on take offs I guess...will try to do better this time
    2015 F3 SM6
    Windscreen, bags, backrest, cowl, BajaRon anti-sway bar
    Two Bros exhaust

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I've been running 16-18 psi all round in (the slightly larger than OE spec) Kumho KH17's I'm running under my 2013 RT Ltd instead of the OE Kenda crap for quite a while now... (just remember, bigger & 'stronger/better' made automotive tires will generally need less air to carry the same load! ) The Kumho's I've been running front & rear have performed fantastically for over 20,000 km now vs the less than 5,000 km I got from the OE Kenda's, & yet the Kumho's are still looking good for quite a few more km easily - and despite the lower pressures in them I've also been getting far greater traction, much better ride, & more direct handling too!!

Now admittedly, the tire pressures that work for me might not work at all for you simply due to our different riding styles, even if all other things are equal, but still... And as I mentioned earlier, since most aftermarket tires are better constructed & made out of stronger materials (& in my case, are also a couple of sizes larger) they will generally need LESS air to carry the same load, ie, the Spyder - just cos when you compare the loads they expect to carry when fitted to a car, fitting just about any 'proper' tire under a Spyder instead of that Kenda rubbish will mean the tire is carrying a fraction of the load it's capable of carrying, so it shouldn't need the same sort of pressure to still do the job & do it well!! And that's exactly what I've found!

Ps - armyspydervet, that increase of 2 psi up front isn't 'so much' at all for the fronts, but the increase of more than 6psi in the rear is a tad too much!! Basically, if your front tire pressures aren't increasing by about 4psi after an hour or so of riding, there's a very good chance that your front tires are NEVER getting up to their optimal operating temps!! You should expect a tire pressure increase of 4-6psi from cold if the tire is heating up properly & reaching that optimal temp - less than 4psi means your front tires are running a bit cold & won't be giving you the best ride &/or traction they could! So yours would probably benefit from dropping 1 or possibly even 2 psi when cold! But the rear tire that shows that increase of more than 6psi suggests your rear tire is heating up too much; so it's running an increased risk of compound or carcass failure, punctures, etc; and it will probably be wearing quicker in the middle than it should be as the over-heated carcass balloons & the centre strip of tread compound peels off during use! Kenda's tend to do that ballooning thing anyway, cos they are made of such lightweight material (1/2 the strength of most other tires!!) but even so, your rear tire would probably benefit from adding a couple more pounds of pressure to it when it's cold, maybe even as much as 3psi... Good Luck!
    The Kenda-bashing on this forum reminds me of the Kuhmo-bashing years ago on Corvette forums. I'm not here to say the Kendas don't deserve it, but I sure would like to see where the "facts" are coming from.
    For instance: 1. "MOST aftermarket tires are better constructed and made out of stronger materials"
    2. Kendas are made of such lightweight material (1/2 the strength of most tires!!)
    The above are fairly strong claims and I'd be curious to see the support for them. Again, not doubting you and others, but I'd hate to find out that "1/2 the strength" is just a rumor. These parameters are tested and the results are printed somewhere if they exist.
    Also, let's not confuse treadlife with being better. My car tires run $500-700 per tire and won't last 10K miles driven easily. They are probably the best street tires made (Michelin PSS) , but do not wear well. A tire that lasts a long time (600 TW) is usually a harder compound that has less traction.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06