Spyder Garage

Default Rear air shock won't hold air.

The rear air shock on my 2012 Spyder RT will not hold air. Any suggestions on what to check before heading to the dealer? I replaced the valve stem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Soapy water

Soapy water and a squirt bottle will get you on your way to finding the leak.

Spyder Garage

Default Here is what happened to our 2012 when we owned it

While we owned our 2012 RTS-SE5- we also had an issue where our rear shock would not hold air.

It turned out that water condensation had gotten into a fitting on the inflator and froze and cracked a fitting. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the part with a brass fitting and the air pump motor was replaced under warranty at that time. In fact BRP air freighted the part over night to the dealer which we really appreicated.

We are hoping that this was addressed or taken care of so we won't re-live this again with our new 2015 RT Limited!

Good luck!

Note: we were also told that often dirt gets up around the air bag and been known to rub and also had caused air leaks in the airbag. We were told to wash that area with water ever now and then. Again hope that too was addressed in later models. Good luck!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Mine was the air fitting on top of the air bag. It was a pushlock type fitting and I replaced it with a better one called an easy align fitting.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The first thing to check

The first thing to check is your wallet
    then pray you don't have to dig to deep
    into it. Dish washing soap in water sprayed or
    squirted on all the air fittings, hoses, shock,
    any place that feeds air to the shock and on the
    shock, it may be the seals in the shock are bad
    but hope their not. If you have a leak it will
    show up in bubbles....
    Good luck
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by edcourtney View Post
    The rear air shock on my 2012 Spyder RT will not hold air. Any suggestions on what to check before heading to the dealer? I replaced the valve stem.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Airbag leaking

Hey my airbag spat the dummy when I was on a trip. hole in airbag. OK how to fix 1. remove airbag 2. have 3 beers while thinking 3. Light bulb moment. Treat same as car tyre. 5, fitted plug and test, spot on. Result still good after 5000kms and still going. KJ2352

Spyder Garage

Mine had a slow leak also and I never could find it doing the spray soap test. So after fighting to get the while bag out, I left the hose and valve connected and pressurized the air bag and submerged it in a bucket of water. Only then is when I could see very small air bubbles, I mean very small, coming from under the clamp that attaches the bladder to the top mounting plate. So I had an idea...

I had some Slime tire sealant left over from my lawn mower tires and put about 5-6 pumps into the air bag, then inflated to close to the maximum pressure and let it sit a day. Then bled the air out and reinstalled the bag. Works great. Now instead of airing up every 2 days, I can go about 2 months before adding air. I may need to add a little more Slime and it should seal it up completely and not leak.

Just a suggestion....
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

Default Rear air shock not holding air

Hi Ed", i had my Spyder rt 2010 Techno for about 5 months and just a few weeks ago I had my wife on the back and we went over a couple of bumps and the Spyder felt like it bottomed out. A couple of weeks ago a guy came over and we checked the air in the air bag. The reading was zero air. We checked the valve and there appeared to be no leaks, but I checked the valve this afternoon and it is leaking, so I replaced the valve and now I just check it tomorrow and see if it still is holding 40 PSI,

Regards Peter