Spyder Garage

Default Oil filter problem

On my way home from Spyderfest my engine seized up. We towed it to Bikersville Cycle in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia. Beautiful dealership and rates are $65 per hour. But a diagnosis of engine to tell me it's locked up was $344.50. A little steep I think. My dealer found my oil filter had collapsed locking up the engine. Has anybody else heard of this happening. Factory wants my dealer to tear it down to verify it. Sounds like they are dragging their feet to me.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow, have not herd of this before. So some details; Type oil and filter, miles on bike and on this oil and filter change. Interesting to find out if there was foreign matter in the filter to cause the collapse. And who did the service.

I would think that if it was a defective filter or install you might have a claim!

Wish you the best of luck.
    Last edited by Frank G; 05-07-2016 at 11:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

Have not heard of this. I have seen the filters colapsing and the new ones have a wire mesh to avoid this but not to the point of stopping the flow and siezing the engine. hard to say without that information. Don't know your year and model they did change the size of the se models a while back but do let us know what they find....and what brp has to say...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

24000 miles on byke. Oil change by dealer day before we left for Spyderfest. Factory oil & filter. Approximately 2500 miles on oil and filter. Only codes that came on screen C0049 & P0524 Couldn't get it to start only solenoid click. Without engine running couldn't get it to downshift.
    2012 RT-S AE-5 bought in 2014 as a leftover.
    Last edited by rogerb; 05-07-2016 at 11:42 AM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I have heard of collapsing oil filters before but not on a Spyder.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    24000 miles on byke. Oil change by dealer day before we left for Spyderfest. Factory oil & filter. Approximately 2500 miles on oil and filter. Only codes that came on screen C0049 & P0524 Couldn't get it to start only solenoid click. Without engine running couldn't get it to downshift.
    2012 RT-S AE-5 bought in 2014 as a leftover.
    The early (2008-early 2012) Spyders experienced Oil Filter (and on the SE5's) Trans Filter Collapse. This will take out an engine in pretty short order. I have no idea how many times this occurred. But it was enough for BRP to re-engineer both filters in the summer of 2012. The main culprit was rumored to be leaving the filters in way beyond the recommended change interval (Changing oil but not changing filters). But frankly, the original filters (BRP only, not aftermarket) were of very poor construction. As far as I know, no aftermarket filter ever failed.

The current BRP filters are of very good construction with an excellent filter medium and I am not aware of any failure of the upgraded product now being used.

At this stage of the game this sounds like a freak failure. I hope they are able to find a reason for the filter collapse.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-07-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OR MAYBE

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The early (2008-early 2012) Spyders experienced Oil Filter (and on the SE5's) Trans Filter Collapse. This will take out an engine in pretty short order. I have no idea how many times this occurred. But it was enough for BRP to re-engineer both filters in the summer of 2012. The main culprit was rumored to be leaving the filters in way beyond the recommended change interval (Changing oil but not changing filters). But frankly, the original filters (BRP only, not aftermarket) were of very poor construction. As far as I know, no aftermarket filter ever failed.

The current BRP filters are of very good construction with an excellent filter medium and I am not aware of any failure of the upgraded product now being used.

At this stage of the game this sounds like a freak failure. I hope they are able to find a reason for the filter collapse.
    I hate to imply this, but when you take your Spyder to a dealer to have work done ......do you really know if anything they say they did was really done ????..... another reason I do all my own servicing if possible....I know the O.P. said before He left for Spyderfest He had it serviced.....but " IF " He didn't witness the work.... I certainly hope BRP takes care of Him ( the OP ).......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I hate to imply this, but when you take your Spyder to a dealer to have work done ......do you really know if anything they say they did was really done ????..... another reason I do all my own servicing if possible....I know the O.P. said before He left for Spyderfest He had it serviced.....but " IF " He didn't witness the work.... I certainly hope BRP takes care of Him ( the OP ).......Mike
    I know what you mean. It is a pretty serious accusation to make. I didn't want to say it. BUT! ..... You may have a point.

Let's hope they find otherwise.

Spyder Garage

While at spyderfest I heard of another bike having the same problem. Not sure specifics on the bike, but they where able to get it to Pit Bulls in limp mode. To show how good a dealer they are they gave the owner a new bike to ride home on till they tore the engine down to repair.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    While at spyderfest I heard of another bike having the same problem. Not sure specifics on the bike, but they where able to get it to Pit Bulls in limp mode. To show how good a dealer they are they gave the owner a new bike to ride home on till they tore the engine down to repair.

That was me with the same problem on my new 2015 rtss. Waiting for a new engine and I do think Len at Pitbull did everything possible to take care of the problem with the BRP techs there to see it first hand.
    Also the new blue rts I am driving in the mean time is almost an official demo bike within the next 75 more miles! I too am hoping this is not an ongoing problem.

Spyder Garage

I was with Roger B when this Happened it was Rydersville Cycle in Berkeley Springs WV where we were towed to, knowing full well Roger had the Best service Policy and the bike was under warrantee, I am not sure why the charge of $344.50 plus charge was for, but we had to Uhaul back to Maine, as far as servicing your bike the dealer resets the oilchange milage meter, with out that, who could know when the oil and filter was changed, that said, BRP should stand behind their dealers and stand up for Roger. this was mechanical failure with no fault of Roger. JUST MY OPINION
    Last edited by johnwinslow; 05-07-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Roger B and copilot you guys should stay in touch, Roger you should talk to PITBULL'S to find out what is up, let us all know what is going on because if it is faulty filters we are going to see this again, Good luck you Guys.

Spyder Garage

I think the recommended 10k service interval would have to be considered in all of this. It would be interesting to see if those having this problem are going the full distance between services.

Spyder Garage

I had 180 miles on mine. Things happen. I for one am not too concerned about this. It seems to be an isolated issue of a bad oil filter. As someone has already mentioned, this is a problem with buying bulk instead of quality. Fram has the worst rating as with a new 1988 Bronco I once owned had a Fram fuel filter ruin the fuel injection on a new vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk