Spyder Garage

Default Haven't even taken delivery of the F3-T and already have questions (zumo, grips, pegs

So we just put the deposit down on an 2016 F3-T yesterday. We'll take delivery in a week or two once I complete the bank process. I already have questions. I hope you folks can help out.

I have a Garmin Zumo 660 on my current bike I want to move. Unless there's a benefit to the expensive factory mount, I'm willing to just use the u-shaped bar clamp that I used on my Kawi. I would like the Garmin's sound, both the music player and the voice directions, to come out the machine's sound system. Should I just snake the headphone jack up to the front compartment in the fairing or is there a better way? Does the factory mount change this any?

That female USB connector in the fairing looks like it's good to use as a USB thumb dirive connector. Is that what's it's for, to play MP3's and from a stick with the radio or is it charge-only for your cell phone or something?

I'm pretty sure there's no bluetooth from the Garmin or phone into the radio but it'd be nice to have that confirmed or denied.

While I'm getting the F3 because of the U-fit positioniing thing (I'm tall and going for a #5 footpeg), I can see the benefit of having an alternate position for your feet. I didn't see a highway bar option anywhere for this. I did see a sytem from LAMonster that allowed me to put pegs on the lower engine mounting bolts. Is that my best option for an alternate foot position?

I love, love, love my Kuryakn ISO grips on my Kawi. I've used them since I've started riding. I have big hands and the larger grip feels good. Looks like they're only on the compatibility list for the RS, though. Any thoughts on bigger grips?

Ok - that's probably it for now. I'll leave my questions on a taller shield and such until I take delivery and see how much I like the stock mid-height one.

Thanks all!
    -B
    Last edited by Belrix; 05-06-2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo

Spyder Garage

As for grips, personally I don't care for anything Kuryakin, I also have large hands and find these grips excellent.

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/prod...throttle-grips
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome welcome....

to the spyder world and this most informative site...not up on the F3 and therefore will let those that have the critter fill you in . Hope the banking goes quickly and you can get out there and see what it is all about and what you really need...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You guessed correctly on the USB ports!

As far as Farkling goes:

This is an effective method for augmenting the bank account...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I just found the user's guide online and, yeah, looks like the USB port is as you say. So - you won the race with the info by a few minutes

Manual also says it has a "Nav" setting but no note on how to connect into it.

Anybody a PDF Shop manual?

Spyder Garage

Default Hello

Hello and welcome to Spyder ownership from the UK.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Give this a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Belrix View Post
    So we just put the deposit down on an 2016 F3-T yesterday. We'll take delivery in a week or two once I complete the bank process. I already have questions. I hope you folks can help out.

I'm pretty sure there's no bluetooth from the Garmin or phone into the radio but it'd be nice to have that confirmed or denied.

Thanks all!
    -B
    The best and easiest way to get your Garmin/ Phone/ or MP3 player INTO your F3-T radio is to use a Bluetooth receiver. Lamont (Lamonster Garage) has a perfect and cheap way to get them to Bluetooth right to your system. Try this: http://www.lamonstergarage.com/bluet...rt-f3t-st-br1/

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default KURY VS. THESE

Summit Racing has some really nice neoprene wraps, for about $10.00 that will allow the heat to come thru.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default The story thus far...

OK - first of all - thanks so far guys.

Here's the summary so far (after a day of research while I'm supposed to be working) and your feedback.

1. no Kuryakyn grips for the F3. Sad face. However, other wraps available. (Wondering what would happen if I wrapped the leather grips over the the foam as an
    underlayment).

2. Bluetooth available as a dongle onto the aux input. Since I really wanted this as a input for the Garmin I'm thinking this ignorable. Because...

3. ...I checked the wiring diagram I found on ProCaliber (thanks to thie site) and the radio has a NAV input, a standard 3.5mm plug. If I can route the audio output from the Zumo to the (probably hidden) NAV input on the radio, then I can get the Zumo to talk to the radio.

4. Yay! the USB works as a MP3 thumb-drive input.

5. No thoughts on the foot-peg issue yet. Necessary? Helpful? Thoughts still?

6. Still hopeful there's a PDF of the shop manual out there.

7. Wrap my Spyder and Lamonster are evil sites. They just want to suck my money out of my wallet and I really want to give it to them.

8. Thanks to all!

-B
    Last edited by Belrix; 05-06-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: numerouis typos because I'm on my second bourbon.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default grips

OK - first of all - thanks so far guys.

Here's the summary so far (after a day of research while I'm supposed to be working) and your feedback.

1. no Kuryakyn grips for the F3. Sad face. However, other wraps available. (Wondering what would happen if I wrapped the leather grips over the the foam as an
    underlayment).............What I did was to get some DEER SKIN ( it's very thin ) on E-bay..... and glued it to the foam wrap, I think they might last FOREVER this way.....!!!!!..............Mike

2. Bluetooth available as a dongle onto the aux input. Since I really wanted this as a input for the Garmin I'm thinking this ignorable. Because...

3. ...I checked the wiring diagram I found on ProCaliber (thanks to thie site) and the radio has a NAV input, a standard 3.5mm plug. If I can route the audio output from the Zumo to the (probably hidden) NAV input on the radio, then I can get the Zumo to talk to the radio.

4. Yay! the USB works as a MP3 thumb-drive input.

5. No thoughts on the foot-peg issue yet. Necessary? Helpful? Thoughts still?

6. Still hopeful there's a PDF of the shop manual out there.

7. Wrap my Spyder and Lamonster are evil sites. They just want to suck my money out of my wallet and I really want to give it to them.

8. Thanks to all!

-B
    ..............See answer in #1..............Mike

Spyder Garage

If you have a USB outlet on the left fairing that is power only. If you added the radio to the F3T you will have a USB cable in the glove box. That is the one that communicates with the radio. The first picture is my left fairing I added this and it is only power. Second pic is from the glove box. I went with BRP's overpriced Garmin 590 and center mount and I can Bluetooth directly from my phone to the Garmin and it plays through the stereo system.

When you scroll through the radio functions you will have AUX selection that is for the single pin male auxiliary cable in my hand, and a USB selection, that is obviously for the USB cable shown above and a NAV selection that is what I use when I Bluetooth into my GPS.
    Last edited by 900Dave; 05-08-2016 at 11:42 AM.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Thanks, all!

Spyder Garage

I believe in personal choice, especially when it comes to grips .....

But I also believe you have to try Grip Puppies .....

Have them on all of our bikes.
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote: That female USB connector in the fairing looks like it's good to use as a USB thumb dirive connector. Is that what's it's for, to play MP3's and from a stick with the radio or is it charge-only for your cell phone or something?

Where is this located? I know on the 2015 F3 S there was an electrical connection there but did not come with a USB already attached.
    Rick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    Where is this located? I know on the 2015 F3 S there was an electrical connection there but did not come with a USB already attached.
    Rick
    There's a USB connector under the front flap on top of the fairing. The glovebox? Is that what it's called? Anyway, I've verified the one under that flap is indeed for the radio and it will play MP3's. It's in the owner's guide. The one under the left fairing side in the pics above I don't know about. I'll take delivery this Saturday and I plan on pulling parts off and looking around under the cover in the first few weeks- just to ge the feel for it.

Spyder Garage

The USB on the left fairing is an option. I had had the dealer install it $29 I think, It is power only. I will have my phone mounted on my Xgrip and plug it in to keep charged. The USB in the glove box is for the radio.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi,
    You might want to look at the new F3 DLX Seal Floorboards for your new F3. Although they are designed to fit a #3 factory brake setting, they are so long that even the tallest rider should have plenty of room to stretch out AND have lots of room to just move your feet around to improve circulation on those longer rides. I'm about 5'9"and I really can't reach the end of the Floorboard. It's really great for mounting and dismounting because you can step anywhere that's comfortable. Take a look at my website: sealfloorboards.com or sealcreativeconcepts.com. Those who have them love the convince AND comfort.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Hi,
    You might want to look at the new F3 DLX Seal Floorboards for your new F3. Although they are designed to fit a #3 factory brake setting, they are so long that even the tallest rider should have plenty of room to stretch out AND have lots of room to just move your feet around to improve circulation on those longer rides. I'm about 5'9"and I really can't reach the end of the Floorboard. It's really great for mounting and dismounting because you can step anywhere that's comfortable. Take a look at my website: sealfloorboards.com or sealcreativeconcepts.com. Those who have them love the convince AND comfort.
    I looked and, honestly, there isn't enough detail in the pics for the F3. Of suggest better pics if possible.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default My own F3T and similar thoughts

Just traded my ST-S SE5 on a 2016 F3T. I had the factory floorboards installed and really like them. There is plenty of room to move my feet fore and aft. Much more comfortable than the pegs.

I also have a Garmin 660. I had installed the factory mount on my ST-S, so decided to go the same route here. I had thought about a simple bar mount, but they look tacky to me, and would require less than optimal wires running around. The factory mount is pretty good and the wiring plugs into the F3T harness. I started the install this evening and will finish tomorrow.

I also went to CalSci in Sacramento for a new windshield. I had them install a tall version to see how it works. I need to look through it, which I really don't like, but there is absolutely no buffeting and it is fairly quiet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FredEC View Post
    Just traded my ST-S SE5 on a 2016 F3T. I had the factory floorboards installed and really like them. There is plenty of room to move my feet fore and aft. Much more comfortable than the pegs.

I also have a Garmin 660. I had installed the factory mount on my ST-S, so decided to go the same route here. I had thought about a simple bar mount, but they look tacky to me, and would require less than optimal wires running around. The factory mount is pretty good and the wiring plugs into the F3T harness. I started the install this evening and will finish tomorrow.

I also went to CalSci in Sacramento for a new windshield. I had them install a tall version to see how it works. I need to look through it, which I really don't like, but there is absolutely no buffeting and it is fairly quiet.
    Hey, FredEC. Shen you say the Garmin plugs into the Spyder harness, is there a pre-wired connector for it? I see that it would need power and, of course, audio out. Seems odd, but possible,they'd have a single connector for it.

Also, what brand is your replacement shield. I've only ridden will a full helmet so far on my one trip back but come summer I'd like to switch to my half helmet due to the high heat here.

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin and windshield

Hey, FredEC. Shen you say the Garmin plugs into the Spyder harness, is there a pre-wired connector for it? I see that it would need power and, of course, audio out. Seems odd, but possible,they'd have a single connector for it.

Also, what brand is your replacement shield. I've only ridden will a full helmet so far on my one trip back but come summer I'd like to switch to my half helmet due to the high heat here.

I found out the Garmin harness plugs directly into the Spyder harness, BUT the configuration of the holder is for the newest Zumo's, not the older 660 or 665. So I found the correct harness on-line for $55 and have it coming. It also plugs in except for the power, which I will splice into the connecter of the one that came with the mount. The Spyder harness also doesn't have a plug for the XM radio, but the one I found on E-bay does. By the end of the week I should be happy!

Windshield is CalSci. Mine is the tall version, so I need to look through it. But it is very quiet and I like it, much better than the stock. They also offer medium and short versions. If you get a tall and want it cut down, they will do that for you; very good people.