Spyder Garage

Default slop in handlebars 2014 RT-L

I can't remember it being there when new, or even gradually starting to show. Whenever it actually happened, I now notice about 2" freeplay measured back/forth at the handlebar ends as the bike sits, stopped, all switches turned off, and I move the bars as if turning right or left. On the road, this is not a major issue, though I'm sure it contributes to not always carving a really smooth line through the curves. Straightaways it's not intrusive as a "handling problem."

Is this much slack normal, and -- if not -- what's the easiest access to see possible joints/junctures/fittings inside the Tupperware?
    I do not see any looseness down at the A-Frame end of things, and not much else is visible in behind the plastic.

Correction: Since my original posting, I have measured the slop/free play with an actual ruler, finding it to be closer to half an inch than two inches. My apology.
    Last edited by motoswami; 05-05-2016 at 09:55 PM. Reason: ensure accuracy
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SLOPPINESS

Since it should still be under warranty I would have a Dealer deal with this, ASAP .....something catastrophic could be in near future .........................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Since it should still be under warranty I would have a Dealer deal with this, ASAP .....something catastrophic could be in near future .........................Mike

Do this as soon as possible. Sounds very dangerous.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I hope you have a good dealer
    otherwise he will tell you "they all do that"
    If he does ask him to show you on another bike
    Preferably a new one he has
    Last edited by garb55; 05-05-2016 at 11:30 AM.
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This should be a warranty item.
    If it's not the tie-rod ends: it'd have to be something inside the DPS unit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one...

If you are mechanical there are things you can check. If your covered they should check. I do remember Finless having an issue with the Triaxis handlebars coming loose and developing play. But I do agree with the rest that it is something that needs attention soon..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I am going to say this and pointed it out to MANY people recently who all thought it was odd...

My 2011 has a little slop and they all do... But during a BRP sponsored event in Socal (Nascar event) there were about 5 RTs brand new sitting there. They all had a lot more slop than my 2011 does, nor did the 2012's, 2013's, and 2014's all parked there for the event! BUT two people that had 2015's that slop was there...

So considering I could feel the slop on 2016/15 models that were brand new, I think it is normal. Something must have changed in the design of this steering system since 2014.

Just telling you my experiences noticing this.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

By the way just to add.... They had a small track setup at the event and I rode a brand new 2016 RTS around the track. Even though I noticed the slop while parked.... I did not notice it riding! In fact I felt it steered better than my 2011 RTS.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoswami View Post
    I can't remember it being there when new, or even gradually starting to show. Whenever it actually happened, I now notice about 2" freeplay measured back/forth at the handlebar ends as the bike sits, stopped, all switches turned off, and I move the bars as if turning right or left. On the road, this is not a major issue, though I'm sure it contributes to not always carving a really smooth line through the curves. Straightaways it's not intrusive as a "handling problem."

Is this much slack normal, and -- if not -- what's the easiest access to see possible joints/junctures/fittings inside the Tupperware?
    I do not see any looseness down at the A-Frame end of things, and not much else is visible in behind the plastic.
    I just checked my 2016 RTE6, and I get at Most 1/4" of play at the end of the bars.
    I checked the steering, and there is no play from the pitman arm to the tie rod ends. So it must be in the steering shaft or the steering box.

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default what "slop" is normal?

First, let me apologize for not having provided actual objective data rather than making an away-from-the-garage guess (fueled by no small amount of anxiety) . My bad originally stating the play was about two inches.

I've been to the garage now with ruler in hand and find an actual ruler shows my end play to be about half an inch.

It very well may have been this much 6,000 miles ago when the unit rolled out of the dealer's showroom for the first time (August, 2015).

I stopped by my nearest dealer today and checked out all the bikes on the floor. Only one was an RT. It had close to an inch of play. The remainder of the new offerings were of the ST or F3 flavor, and they varied between next-to-nothing and half an inch.
    There weren't any used units in stock, so I collected no data regarding how much play is evident once a machine is broken in a little.

I didn't bother to go to the back and talk with the techs, because I have little regard for the competence of this particular business.
    I do have an appointment next week with a dealer in an adjacent state, whom I've visited before and trust to diagnose if there is a problem.

Stay tuned. Meanwhile, it would be enlightening to hear what actual measured play various forum members find in their machine, by year and type.
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STEERING PLAY

.....Thanks for getting back to us. You had me scarred there when I first read 2 inches .....I considered that to something so loose it was about to FAIL.........Mine is like yours, and has no effect on how my Spyder tracks going down the road......Joe & Ann did my alignment ( ROLO LAZER ) last year and it tracks TRUE........hope this helps ease your mind .......................Mike

Spyder Garage

I stopped by my nearest dealer today and checked out all the bikes on the floor. Only one was an RT. It had close to an inch of play. The remainder of the new offerings were of the ST or F3 flavor, and they varied between next-to-nothing and half an inch.
    There weren't any used units in stock, so I collected no data regarding how much play is evident once a machine is broken in a little.
    Like I said above. I check 5 brand new RT's and they all had more slop than my 2011.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default slop within spec?

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Like I said above. I check 5 brand new RT's and they all had more slop than my 2011.
    So you're thinking 1/2" freeplay at bar end is within normal?
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD

Spyder Garage

So you're thinking 1/2" freeplay at bar end is within normal?
    That is about what the new ones I looked at had.... All 5 of them on the floor with price stickers on them!
    It seems the new ones have this as normal. I think some design change since 2013 or so...

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RTL with 350 kilometers, checked free play, 1/2 in at bar ends.
    2015 RT Limited
    Show Chrome Drivers Backrest
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrest
    Show Chrome trunk Rack
    Ron's Shock Adjusters
    Ron's Sway Bar
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    CB Communications System
    Spyderpop's Bump-Skid
    Spyderpop's Belt Guard
    JT's Rear Fender

Spyder Garage

Just went to the garage and took a tape measure check for comparison. Our 2014 RTs with around 7k miles. At the end of the grip, measured directly forward to the mirror, 3/8" free play with a slight effort to load in each direction.

Without the slight effort to load the slack, just the looseness, was about 1/4".