Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default test ride on a 2014 rt spyder

my wife and i test road a 2014 can am rt spyder and i could not keep it from wondering all over the road. what was i doing wrong. i ride a 2013 goldwing with a csc kit on it with know problem. after ten minutes my wife had to get off as her back was hurting. she said give me back my goldwing seat. whats with this. she dose not have a bad back. we having riding motor cycles for thirty years and that was the first time her back hurt on a motorcycle. she said it felt like the back rest was pushing out on her back. are the seats on the spyder that bad? looks like i would have to replace the seat. any body else have problems with the spyder seats? thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER LEARNING

Hi, I to went from Wings to the Spyders.....and will never return ......you should go find the " Do's and Don'ts " Thread about Spyders it will explain everything you will ever want to know.....................so I don't have to type 1,000,000,000,000 words .......but I will say this ...#1. drive it like a CAR.....#2. a very easy grip and light touch works much better. #3. the Spyder has power steering and it WORKS. #4. DRIVE IT LIKE A CAR...NOT A TWO WHEEL MTC.........AND .................Enjoy.......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You were tensing up on the grips... With a relaxed grip; the tendency to wander disappears.
    Everybody has their own set of needs for the seating. Rest assured that there are sufficient options out there, to keep even the most discriminating "ass", happy!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have heard only good comments about the passenger seat on an RT from both my wife, a Yamaha Venture rider, and my friends wife, a Gold wing rider.

Could part of it have been you being a little uncomfortable being all over the road and her tensing up or sliding around too much because of that?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT-S model. No skittering over the highway for me.

I am guessing you were taken over by the famous "death grip." Tightly gripping the bars will put input into the steering that causes the skittering around which you encountered.

The advice above to read the do's and don'ts is very good and covers several issues to make your ride more enjoyable.

Most find that it takes about 500 miles to "unlearn" the two wheeled ways. My first took about 1500 miles to get comfortable.

As basic information, I recommend the following.

See how little input your can apply to the bars. Pretend there are eggs between your hands and the bars. Do not break the eggs. (Yuk, messy ). I use the push/pull method for input for turns. To avoid "g" forces on real turns, do not brake before the turn (not entering the turn to fast). You should be able to accelerate during the turn. Use the apex method for turns. Enter from the inside of the turn, then cross over to the outside. Keep it between the lines though. Plant the outside foot on the floorboard, and lean slightly into the turn. Your passenger should follow your lead. You can also grab the tank area with your knees. Once perfected, you can exceed posted curve speeds by about 20 mph +--should you choose to do so.

That first ride can end up just like yours. Glad I had mine bought and paid for before that first ride. I would have felt the same way. The ride home was a bit scary.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Had the Spyder been laser aligned?
    2014 ST-L

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thanks everybody for the feedback. i don't the spyder was laser line. it was one the dealer used for people to test ride. i will try again if i can get my wife back on one as her back hurt her for two hours. thanks again for your an answers on my problem with spyder.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Comfortable

When I took my test ride on a 15 RT my significant other said she was very comfortable on the back. I also noticed a bit of wandering but of course first timers have all had this experience to some degree or another. Still doesn't change my mind about getting one soon. Hope to take my new ride to SpyderQuest.
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My wife had the opposite reaction to the passenger seat on our 2014 RTS. She thought it was as comfortable as our last Goldwing. As for the twitchy handling, takes about 500 miles to get comfortable, 1000 miles to get more comfortable, 1500 miles to say Whoo-Hoo this is great!!!! When I frist test drove my 2014, my dealer had some storage lockers in his parking lot. He said to go around those buildings both ways left and right, until I felt comfortable enough to go out on the road. So I did 15-20 times both ways. Now for the street. Oh my god! If I live thru this-well never mind, I don't think I got over 20 mph the 4 blocks to the right hand turn to get out on the side roads. But an hour later I came cruising back at about fifty mph. Taking it home I never get it out of 4th and 5th gear. But now 3000 miles later I cruise right along 60-65 two up, have had it up to 80, no problem. Relax in the arms and shoulders that's the key. Try it agin it's addicting. It's the 2nd most fun bike I have owned. And I have had 17 of them over 50 yrs. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    i will try again if i can get my wife back on one as her back hurt her for two hours. thanks again for your an answers on my problem with spyder.
    Just as you need to learn how to ride the Spyder, your wife needs to learn how to be a passenger on one.

Was she holding on for dear life, grabbing the grab rails and trying to stay upright? If so, that may be the problem. She needs to relax her grip and lean a little into the turn. She doesn't need to lean far, just a little left or right of center. Heck, sometimes just leaning her head left or right will do the trick. Remember, the Spyder doesn't lean... you have to. If you don't, centrifugal force will want to throw you off (hence the holding on for dear life, grabbing the grab rails and trying to stay upright). Leaning into the turn will counter-act the centrifugal force and it will be a much more enjoyable ride.

You both owe it to yourself to try it again.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

The day I bought my 2015 RT I was faced with a 60 mile ride home, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't keep the thing going in the direction I wanted. It turned out that it was significantly toed out, and a laser alignment by Mike Loesher @Spyder Comfort made it ride like it was on rails. I think you have ridden enough to know if you were holding on too tightly.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    The day I bought my 2015 RT I was faced with a 60 mile ride home, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't keep the thing going in the direction I wanted. It turned out that it was significantly toed out, and a laser alignment by Mike Loesher @Spyder Comfort made it ride like it was on rails. I think you have ridden enough to know if you were holding on too tightly.

David
    I hope it is safe to assume the bike was new from a dealer. Just more proof that anything other than laser alignment is no good.
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I too am switching from my goldwing to a spyder. You must be open minded when test riding your spyder especially if you're looking at an SE6 model. There is little similar with riding 2 wheels and thr rts se6. No clutch lever, no brake lever. One pedal for all braking and on and on. My Wife liked the seat but many have changes their saddle for something they like better. Don't let that stop you. A good friend of mine made a comment regarding HD but I think it apply here, he said you must remember what it is and what it isn't. Everyone who rides thinks the machine they ride is the best, when truthfully they are all good and do what they do well. We must remember what our machines do and learn what the spyder does, because it does it well. I hope that all makes sense. Sometimes I'm not too clear. Chris
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Test rydes....

I have to agree with the lack of coaching prior to your test ryde. As mentioned the death grip is the main cause for two wheelers to find the steering skiddish. As explained the DPS (dynamic power steering) will sense your fear and correct for it rather quickly. As for the wife....I think it was a tension back pain. I would think she sensed your unease with the handling and did not relax and enjoy the ryde. I would test ryde solo and get it working for you and then take her along...jmo..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

she might be more comfortable in the drivers seat
    buy 2

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RTS Seat Back

I just switched to a 2014 RT-SE6, it also has an ultimate seat, the first thing my wife did was complain about the seat back and missing the transformer pegs for the passenger.
    We went to REI and for less than $30 purchased a inflatable lumbar support, big difference. As for transformer pegs for the Can Am, I am still looking, may have to come up with something. IF anyone has any advice what to use please let me know
    Next week is our big road trip to Arizona, about 7500 mile when we finish, will let you know how we make out with pulling a trailer and my wife in the back.

By the way the Ultimate seat with backrest, its nothing special to the Russel Day Long I had on my wing.

Kevin

Ultimate Seat with driver backrest and passenger armrest
    REI Lumbar support - passenger
    CB system
    GPS center mount
    Garmin Zumo 590
    Trailer Hitch
    NVB Hiway pegs
    BajaRon sway bar
    Rivco Armrest
    Web boards - driver, passenger and brake pedal
    Ed Sets thunderbolt headsets - driver and passenger
    Silhouette Trailer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ksridsdale; 05-04-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

my wife and i test road a 2014 can am rt spyder and i could not keep it from wondering all over the road. what was i doing wrong. i ride a 2013 goldwing with a csc kit on it with know problem. after ten minutes my wife had to get off as her back was hurting. she said give me back my goldwing seat. whats with this. she dose not have a bad back. we having riding motor cycles for thirty years and that was the first time her back hurt on a motorcycle. she said it felt like the back rest was pushing out on her back. are the seats on the spyder that bad? looks like i would have to replace the seat. any body else have problems with the spyder seats? thanks
    Possibly needs an alignment and sway bar. I felt the same way on my first ride on my !4 RTS. Got the sway bar and what a difference that made, also the light touch on the handlebars is a must.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ksridsdale View Post
    Next week is our big road trip to Arizona, about 7500 mile when we finish, will let you know how we make out with pulling a trailer and my wife in the back.
    What part of AZ will you be visiting? We have a couple fairly active Spyder groups out here. Maybe you would like to go for a ride...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ArachnidRyder View Post
    What part of AZ will you be visiting? We have a couple fairly active Spyder groups out here. Maybe you would like to go for a ride...
    Sedona area and the canyons, no firm fixed destination
    Ultimate Seat with driver backrest and passenger armrest
    REI Lumbar support - passenger
    CB system
    GPS center mount
    Garmin Zumo 590
    Trailer Hitch
    NVB Hiway pegs
    BajaRon sway bar
    Rivco Armrest
    Web boards - driver, passenger and brake pedal
    Ed Sets thunderbolt headsets - driver and passenger
    Silhouette Trailer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I concur with others that you should relax your grip and be careful not to over-control. The Spyder has power-assist steering, so it doesn't take much to control it and it's easy to over-control. Does the cdc kit mean a GW trike? If it's anything like driving a HD Tri-Glide, it takes some muscle to steer it. The Spyder is totally different. You may want to try to get comfortable riding alone before your wife joins you as a passenger. I think she'll be more relaxed after the ryde is smoother.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Air pressure folks. Proper pressure for your personal riding habits is important. Under or over inflated tires will ruin your day.

Try this. Inflate your rear to 30# and the fronts to 26 (for three cyl. scoots-less for two cyl.), ride a few miles and let two pounds out of the fronts....ride a few miles and let two more out.....find you sweet spot. Mine is 25 in front as I like a firm ride. No wander, easy steering and good ride...