Spyder Garage

Default Need recommendation for Hand Pump Oil Extractor

After many oil changes on many motors, and small engines on yard tools, I am in the market for a good hand pumped oil extractor with a volume of 5-6 qts. Many of the small engines I have, could be serviced much easier with such an extractor through the dipstick tube (as many marine engines are). A side benefit I could appreciate is the occasional overfill situation that I sometimes encounter due to my or others errors in the amount added.

I may also start a program of 5-6,000 mile oil changes on the Spyder RT 1330 engine to maintain the oil vis integrity during our typical 20,000 mile seasons. I would still change the filters, and do a drain plug clean every- other change. I have seen many offerings of oil extractors on the market, but would like others experience with durability of a $50 oil extractor. I have not been satisfied with the drill powered version of drain pumps.

Any ideas/reviews?
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    After many oil changes on many motors, and small engines on yard tools, I am in the market for a good hand pumped oil extractor with a volume of 5-6 qts. Many of the small engines I have, could be serviced much easier with such an extractor through the dipstick tube (as many marine engines are). A side benefit I could appreciate is the occasional overfill situation that I sometimes encounter due to my or others errors in the amount added.

I may also start a program of 5-6,000 mile oil changes on the Spyder RT 1330 engine to maintain the oil vis integrity during our typical 20,000 mile seasons. I would still change the filters, and do a drain plug clean every- other change. I have seen many offerings of oil extractors on the market, but would like others experience with durability of a $50 oil extractor. I have not been satisfied with the drill powered version of drain pumps.

Any ideas/reviews?

Suggestion: Pull the plugs and drain the bike correctly. It's just not that hard to do it right.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I really like the Mityvac vacuum extractors. Take your pick on size. Used for years to change the oil in the skis. Also, works good for transmission fluid in the trucks to keep from dumping it all over when removing the pan.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

This is the one I use on my vehicles. Dont use it on the Spyder. Its also air driven, but it does work well for brakes, power steering and transmission fluid removal.

http://m.harborfreight.com/brake-flu...der-92924.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a vacuum pump/tank called "The Pig" from Northern Tools. After pulling most of the oil out, I then pull the plugs to get the rest of the oil drained out. I only use it so my oil pan isn't so full and is easier to handle for an old guy.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks for the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    I use a vacuum pump/tank called "The Pig" from Northern Tools. After pulling most of the oil out, I then pull the plugs to get the rest of the oil drained out. I only use it so my oil pan isn't so full and is easier to handle for an old guy.
    I'll have to check it out...was leaning towards the MityVac or Pela, but it's good to have options.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss