Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Kewlmetal Risers - UPDATE

AS AN UPDATE: Hubby did call Matt at Kewlmetal and he said to sand down the bar beneath the grip -- the powdercoat guys were supposed to fix the paint so the throttle would work properly. That did the trick. All is well.

My husband just finished installing the 7" risers on my bike. One of the instructions states the throttle should "SNAP" back. It doesn't, but he is not certain what "SNAP" back would be on the Spyder. If he gives it full throttle and lets go, it doesn't return in a snapping fashion. It doesn't return all the way to full idle without rolling it just a bit. However, on his test ride, this was not obvious at all. I haven't taken the bike out yet, but if any of you have installed these risers, does your throttle "SPRING" or "SNAP" back?

He has checked all the cables several times and there doesn't appear to be anything else he can adjust. There is plenty of slack in the throttle cables.

Just wanting to know what is normal as I don't have total recall myself. Any comments?

Thanks!
    Last edited by dragonheart; 03-31-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dragonheart View Post
    My husband just finished installing the 7" risers on my bike. One of the instructions states the throttle should "SNAP" back. It doesn't, but he is not certain what "SNAP" back would be on the Spyder. If he gives it full throttle and lets go, it doesn't return in a snapping fashion. It doesn't return all the way to full idle without rolling it just a bit. However, on his test ride, this was not obvious at all. I haven't taken the bike out yet, but if any of you have installed these risers, does your throttle "SPRING" or "SNAP" back?

He has checked all the cables several times and there doesn't appear to be anything else he can adjust. There is plenty of slack in the throttle cables.

Just wanting to know what is normal as I don't have total recall myself. Any comments?

Thanks!
    A throttle without a Throttlemeister or similar device should snap back all the way to idle. It has to be binding somewhere. Could be in the control assembly itself, after it was removed and put on the new bars. It takes a little playing around to get it to go together like it should. If the halves were forced together or bind, it is not right. If a cable came out of it's groove or the hole where the end fitting mounts, that will do it every time. If it was just loosened, and slid off and on, it is still possible it is binding there, possibly on the bar itself. All this assumes the bar was straight to begin with, so the throttle sleeve is not binding. Cables are the first thing to check...again, then the throttle control itself. Beyond that you are probably looking at something in the throttle body, and that would have to have been there from the start.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dragonheart View Post

Thanks!
    It should roll back to idle. If its not doing that he has the cable caught somewhere along the way.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder had that problem and all it was, was the plastic plug in the end of the handlebar being pushed in too far - backed it off and all was OK.

Spyder Garage

Did you install new grips when you did the risers? If so check the end of the grip. I've found that some closed end grips will bind the throttle sleeve on the Spyder.
    "I'm the only hell my mama ever raised"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    My Spyder had that problem and all it was, was the plastic plug in the end of the handlebar being pushed in too far - backed it off and all was OK.
    same thing with me...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just checked with my husband, and he said it was doing this before he put the original grips back on.

Thanks so much for the input.

Spyder Garage

Call KewlMetal. We got his 7" bars a while back (an early set) and the paint was too thick on the bar and the throttle did not snap back. He immediately sent out another bar and it's been fine.
    Happy SM5 Owner
    Mods: Evoluzione PowerBus & air filter, sway bar, Kewl adjustable risers, highway pegs, back rack, Givi trunk & side bags, Crampbuster, Heatroller, Autocom intercom & 2 way radio, McCruise cruise control, No Magic Triple Play brake lights, fender tip & mud flap lights, Givi bag lights,
    mirror extensions, Russell Day-Long Saddle, C.H.A.D., Oxford heated grips.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingHeart View Post
    Call KewlMetal. We got his 7" bars a while back (an early set) and the paint was too thick on the bar and the throttle did not snap back. He immediately sent out another bar and it's been fine.

Worth a shot as he has looked the bike over and over. Will call tomorrow! Thanks a lot.