Spyder Garage

Default Is it worth upgrading the standard seat on a 2012 RT-S?

I am a large, tall man. I'm just over 6 foot and the standard seat feels like it pushing my butt forward a couple inches more than were I would "naturally" sit.

I am wondering if the "Comfort Seat" is worth the money?

If you read the advertising it is made for the person like me who is tall and wide.

My second fear is that it will limit the space for my wife.

Can anyone tell me about their experience with either the custom seat or any other after market seat for big and tall riders.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Tag along

Spyder Garage

I have replaced five out of five OEM seats. Two were Corbin and the other three were BRP Comfort seats.

Corbins are very hard and supportive. You either like them or not. I have over 55,000 miles on two Corbins and they were fine for me.

The Comfort seats do put you back a couple inches. Yes, they intrude on the space of the passenger. If your passenger is bigger, then you may have to think about it.

The OEM seats are "mush." Their comfort level for me lasts about 50 miles--then I have to get off and let my bottom re-adjust. I can ride a couple hundred miles on the BRP Comfort without any issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

6'4" 250 lbs here. Comfort seat was well worth it!
    Wife still fits but she is not a big woman. It could be a problem. Sit your wife in the back and see if losing 2.5" will effect her.

But I still needed an Air Hawk R seat cushion for long rides. The comfort seat was great for the knees for me. Moved me back and unbent my knees.

In the end though this is a little Vblog about all I did to get comfortable.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am 6'-2", 260 lb. My wife is about 5'-1" and around 130. I purchased a comfort seat and loved the extra leg room, but the seat was too firm for me. I went back to my stock 2014 seat and drivers back rest. The wife loved the extra room, but my legs were a bit crouched. My fix was to install a set of mini web boards. That allowed me to slide my feet into a more forward position. Now we both are happy.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Check out the Tallboy from Ultimate Seats. I am very happy with my Ultimate
    ​Jeff

2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze (aka "The Bronze Beauty")
    Ultimate faux crocodile seat, backrest , and armrests in cognac-/black, Luggage nets, luggage, drink holders, top mirror, shorty antenna, SENA SMH10 headsets and SMR10 dongle, Garmin 665lm, Tri-pouch, Trunk mount flag poles, Custom Dynamics vent covers, Show Crome Luggage Rack, custom mud flap, Full Size Brake Pedal, Tricled mirror turn signals, LED strips on rear of front fenders, custom highway pegs, BakerBuilt Air Wings w/ Uppers
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze