Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sidecar on a Spyder?

Hi all,
    I am not asking about the legalities of this idea, but has anyone put a sidecar on a Spyder? Yes, I do have my reasoning behind the question so don't beat me up too badly
    Cheers,
    Julia
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

no one will beat up on you here...hee hee
    but it might help it you explain your reasoning.
    How about symmetrical sidecars ? Then we could have
    a five wheel monstrosity.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    Your reason is not my business. My concern would be the overall width with a sidecar - depending on your model.
    I believe that someone brought this up last year.
    Good luck if you try it,
    Tip
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 01:43 PM.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

how about outrigger's. Keeping them not much wider than the front wheels you could hang one on each side like big saddlebags....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 01:43 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    how about outrigger's. Keeping them not much wider than the front wheels you could hang one on each side like big saddlebags....
    Why not a trailer with rumple seat?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SIDECAR ???? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ?? On a Spyder? Definetly like to hear the reasons behind that thought.

Spyder Garage

Side car ?
    that would give you 4 tires
    then you would be a car
    seatbelt airbags etc.
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really don't see a practical usefulness to it...
    Would you care to enlighten us as to your plans; and why?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Just thinking about it, it might be a bit of a gnarly problem!!

Regardless of the why, if you tried to set a chair up as an outrigger to a Spyder, you'd hafta be bloody careful where you tried to mount it & hafta think a bit about where the wheel on the chair was with respect to the front steer wheels & rear drive wheel on the Spyder, as well as where to aim it or it'd scrub to buggry whenever you tried to turn towards it.....that is IF turning the Spyder steer wheels but still having another 'load carrying' wheel trying to run straight ahead on the inside of the turn would even let you turn!! Turning the other way, ie, with the chair wheel on the outside of the turn, the chair wheel would only need to turn faster than the driven & steer wheels on the Spyder, & a normal 'ground driven' wheel aimed straight ahead should manage that OK, albeit with some (orright, probably a lot!!) scrubbing as it got dragged around the curve.

Normal suspension should be able to handle any up/down loads during cornering, but that 'inside of the turn' thing would be an interesting problem from a positioning, aiming, and an alignment point of view too!! Going slow enough &/or turning tight enough towards it, you might even force the chair wheel to turn backwards, but if the chair wheel was in the wrong spot &/or it's aiming angles with the steer & drive wheel weren't exactly right, it could inhibit the inside turn a lot, while dragging & slowing an outside turn!!

Add to that the issues that having an outrigger wheel might cause re 'drag' while trying to ride straight &/or braking, plus the difficulties of setting up/aligning the Spyder 2-wheel steering & suspension geometry to run straight with the addition of an outrigger wheel, let alone doing any of that stuff while turning.... It'd be a bit of a nightmare problem. I certainly doubt it'd be anywhere near as easy as it is to hook up a chair on the side of a 2-wheel motorbike - in fact, that's probably why BRP went down the trailer route in the beginning!

Still, it's food for thought!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 01:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by griffontamer View Post
    Hi all,
    I am not asking about the legalities of this idea, but has anyone put a sidecar on a Spyder? Yes, I do have my reasoning behind the question so don't beat me up too badly
    Cheers,
    Julia
    Some one asked this exact same question several months ago in almost those exact same words. I don't think it has ever been done,but if you're willing to throw enough money at anything you can make it happen. If you need more passenger carrying capacity then I would suggest a motorcycle/sidecar outfit. There are several that will carry 2 or 3 people. That gives you 3 to 4 people on the bike.You may have to go overseas to find one big enough,though Hannigan does make a 2 passenger model.Gold Wings make good chair haulers. if you have someone else to drive maybe a 2nd Spyder would be a solution? That would give space for 4. Good luck

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I forgot there are also custom trike builders,usually on a VW platform that can be built to carry any number people. I have even seen one built around a bus body that would carry 8 people.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Where would you display the WIDE LOAD sign?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 01:46 PM.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Interesting question.

I am in a bit of a negative mood this AM, so I am getting negative vibes about the project.

: Handling issues: current side car rigs have turning issues that are different when making left and right turns. You have to re-learn how to drive a motorcycle to get it right.

: The extra wheel(s) will make handling weird and may upset the nanny even more.

: Cost: You are entering new territory here. How much do you want to spend to get it right.

Interested in seeing where the project goes. Post some pictures or solution information if possible.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I appreciated the replies, both serious and humorous .

The simplified reason for wanting a sidecar on a Spyder is to be able to travel with 2 passengers and a small dog, but obviously if it poses a safety issue, I would not risk it.

I did ride a regular motorcycle with a sidecar once, and going around a right turn fast enough, it flew the chair and I suddenly found myself turning left. Thankfully it didn't take me long to reach the clutch and brake and stop before I rolled into a motorhome (this was on a friend's very large property so a good place to practice with less likelihood of killing myself in the process). I figured a Spyder wouldn't be as likely to fly the chair or turn the wrong way, thanks to its dual front wheels. Surely I could learn to handle a regular sidecar bike but I'm still a bit scared of it. Plus Spyders are cool

At any rate, you folks have made very good points. I might play around with a prototype if the right setup comes along; and if I do, I will experiment carrying bags of concrete instead of passengers, to make sure I don't risk someone else's life and limb in case something goes south. For now I'll just take the convertible when more than 1 passenger wants to go somewhere with me.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How about changing the seat from sitting one in front of the other to like a love seat arrangement? Then both people could drive.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 01:48 PM.
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

To me this sounds like a horrible idea for many reasons. It would make for a very wide bike, it would do God-knows-what to the electronic aspects of the handling, and I tend to think it would really hurt performance. A trailer feels like a far better idea, and it might even be legal. I would strongly question if a side car can even legally be added to a trike of any kind, and that may be a state issue.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I've got a sidecar rig, handling is significantly different from 2 wheels or a trike. The steering is very different from a Spyder too. I'm not sure it would even be possible, as someone else mentioned. When I had my Goldwing, we had a level rack on the trunk that we put a dog kennel on, the dog loved it. Perhaps that would be a possibility for you, depending on the size of your dog, we had a dachshund and he would beg to go, if we broke the helmets, he was at the door waiting.

Doc

Spyder Garage

Why not just go with a Sling shot then. I have seen trailers with rumble seats in them.

Spyder Garage

Just one more thought, you mentioned the issue of safety. I can't how this wouldn't be a significant level of decreased safety for your dog no matter what configuration you choose, at least in comparison to a car.

I would look at solutions that convert the trunk, which I have seen, as the most ideal solution, provided your dog is small enough to fit.

Have you considered getting your dog his or her own Spyder?
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

They make a trailer for your pup. They're pretty cool.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 01:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Just one more thought, you mentioned the issue of safety. I can't how this wouldn't be a significant level of decreased safety for your dog no matter what configuration you choose, at least in comparison to a car.

I would look at solutions that convert the trunk, which I have seen, as the most ideal solution, provided your dog is small enough to fit.

Have you considered getting your dog his or her own Spyder?

A brother-in-arms of mine has converted his frunk lid to a wire net cover and has a small wind screen at the base of the opening, because bugs in dogs eyes can become quite expensive. Never leaves home without his faithful companion but always draws a crowd when they're seen pulling in.
    I'll dig through my archives and try to find a picture of the setup.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With enough money and elbow grease: anything is possible!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've seen several different pictures of trailers for pets on the net. I'm sure you'll come up with something that everyone will be happy with.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 01:50 PM.
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've been biting my tongue on this one, but I just can't any longer (and I posted on the same thing in the last sidecar thread) I'm a DIY'er to the MAX ..... and IMHO I think you harbor a DEATH WISH with this idea ......... Sidecars with a two-wheeler are a driving nightmare for 99% of the Opr's who try it! .... On a Spyder!!!! ..... If you think pulling a TRAILER is hard, complicated, difficult, tooooooooooo expensive etc. what exactly is the SIDECAR not going to be that I just mentioned?????? ..... Please TOSS this idea ......................... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 01:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

My motivations are that I have a standard poodle, and I can't take her with me. I camp. My Angel < the bike > can even tow my popup camper, but I can't take my girl with me. I'd love to find a small sidecar I can make a harness for and take the pup along...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 01:56 PM.