Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post Check Engine - Error Code P1614

Trying to get 2013 ST-S out for a ride, but got the Check Engine light and can not increase engine speed with throttle. Checked for error code and got P1614 "throttle idle position failure on throttle release." Engine starts fine, but is idling at 1750rpm. I took screws out of right side handle bar switch/throttle assembly thinking throttle linkage might be "bound up", but no better. Anyone with prior experience or fix ideas? I dread having to trailer it to the dealer 40 minutes drive away since I don't have a hitch or a trailer! (From everything I have seen about spyder problems on this forum is this a necessary investment as a new spyder owner?)

Spyder Garage

Has nothing to do with the throttle grip on the handlebar since it is throttle by wire and there is no linkage to bind. P1614 refers to the throttle positon on the throttle bodies.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Try this..

Remove the left side panel and check and lube the throttle mechanism. It may be dirty or the sensor may be off. It is seldom the actual throttle tube on the bars unless you messed with it....Like changing the grips, heated grips installed or cruise controls...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmbo View Post
    Trying to get 2013 ST-S out for a ride, but got the Check Engine light and can not increase engine speed with throttle. Checked for error code and got P1614 "throttle idle position failure on throttle release." Engine starts fine, but is idling at 1750rpm. I took screws out of right side handle bar switch/throttle assembly thinking throttle linkage might be "bound up", but no better. Anyone with prior experience or fix ideas? I dread having to trailer it to the dealer 40 minutes drive away since I don't have a hitch or a trailer! (From everything I have seen about spyder problems on this forum is this a necessary investment as a new spyder owner?)
    Had some success shutting spider off and restarting until it idled correctly.
    Eventually throttle body will need replaced or at least cleaned.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Error Code P1614

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Remove the left side panel and check and lube the throttle mechanism. It may be dirty or the sensor may be off. It is seldom the actual throttle tube on the bars unless you messed with it....Like changing the grips, heated grips installed or cruise controls...
    I bought spyder used from dealer last year with 6000 miles on it. Original owner had put on padded grips and thought like you did that this may have somehow affected throttle control. As mentioned above this is a 'THROTTLE BY WIRE" and further investigation in service manual showed the TAS (sensor on throttle body) may be loose or not functioning properly as you suggested. I will give that a try. Thank you for your advice.

I noticed that the cruise control switch was on this Spring after I reinstalled the battery. Do you think that might have had anything to do with this malfunction? (The switch is off now.)

Spyder Garage

Cruise control would not cause this but can't be sure. I just use a cramp buster....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Never turn my cruise off. No problems. Certainly not the cause of your problem.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have had my rs do this and it has to do with dss error I think from low battery it will go to fast idle I think for safety since the power steering is the biggest draw they want to make sure the charging system can power the steering do the key walk and wait a while or pull a fuse to reset the brain and charge /test battery mine has always come out of it but I have rode it fast idling before did you add anything electrical?
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

My 13 did this same exact thing. They found the throttle cable was pinched somewhere and the dealer reolaced the entire throttle cable. Havent had that problem since.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Check engine - Error Code P1614

Thank you to everyone who posted a suggestion for my problem. I tried everyone's suggestion to no avail. Had to have dealer come pick it up yesterday since I don't have a trailer. Soon as I find out what the cause of problem is I will post it here. Oh well, good day for a bicycle ride!

Spyder Garage

Thank you to everyone who posted a suggestion for my problem. I tried everyone's suggestion to no avail. Had to have dealer come pick it up yesterday since I don't have a trailer. Soon as I find out what the cause of problem is I will post it here. Oh well, good day for a bicycle ride!
    Jimmbo you didn't put in what the fix was for your problem. I have the exact same problem. Wondering?
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5