Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Need help with my RS-S

Hey guys a recently bought a 2012 Spyder RS-S with only 2,800k on it. I'm wanting to do either a Voodoo or RLS exhaust on it. I was reading it would need tuned for this. Does can am do the tuning for it? Or how would i go about doing this. Was also looking at a green air filter for it. Would this be a good thing to get? Really leaning towards the RLS exhaust. Just wondering how the tuning would work for it. I come from diesel trucks where we just plug the tuner in the OB2 port and tune it and didn't know it would work for the spyder. Thanks for any help guys!

Spyder Garage

I replaced the stock muffler on my 2011 RS-S SE5 with a Yoshimura pipe, with the supplied baffle installed. Have no serious tuning issues except a slight flat spot on upshift around 5000rpm. Since the exhaust gasses had basically a straight shot from the exhaust valve to the atmosphere, it was a bit louder than I liked, so fashioned an additional baffle from a sink drain tailpiece. drilled multiple (many) 1/8" holes in it, closed the end, and riveted it to the original baffle. The result was less noise and almost total elimination of the flat spot. If I have to make a new one, I think I'll drill fewer holes to create a bit more backpressure. (a certain amount of backpressure is not necessarily a bad thing)

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

There are many pipes and several tuners/fuel controlers. Do you need one is the question. I have had a couple of pipes ( Hindle and Yoshi R77) and never used a controler. The spyders system does a good job as it is. I did removed the airbox and went with the JT's (sponsor here) air system but put on the K&N filter. With the plug and wire (BajaRon also sponsor here) change it has become a sweet running machine...BRP does not do it individual shops or diy on the controler...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    Recently installed a HMF, no tuning issues. Switched back from K&M filter to stock, don't see any difference. BTW, love the HMF!

Spyder Garage

I installed the hmf pipe and k&n filter no need for controller runs great
    richie spyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So if I went with the HMF I shouldn't have to get it tuned to run it?

Spyder Garage

if you install hmf slip on you will not not need a tuner it sounds great and easy to install ebay has them for 2013 & 2014 rs for about $285.00 great buy
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Have tryed every slip on, and all have run well without tune.

Spyder Garage

Default To tune or not

I have an HMF exhaust on my 2010 RS. When I first installed it, I did not have a fuel modifier or K&N filter. It ran great just like that, however, I noticed a lot of popping on deceleration. I for one, like the popping but it was occuring more than I liked. I purchased the modifier from HMF, a K&N air filter, and installed both in one afternoon. The popping on decel was immediately resolved with just a few pops every now and then which was perfect for me. The air filter was installed in the stock airbox (which is also a great time to clean all the oil out of the box) and installed an oil catch to prevent engine oil being blown into the airbox but allowing pressure to vent.
    The fuel modifier is pre-programmed with fuel mappings from HMF for the RS. You can change the settings as you please to increase or decrease the amount of fuel going into the engine. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this next part: As I understand it, the K&N allows much more air into the engine, therefore allowing it to run leaner, increases engine temperature and makes popping on decel. Adding more fuel enriches the mixture and lowers the temperature of the engine. I would say if you only install the pipe and leave everything else stock, you should be just fine. If you add the K&N, then I would recommend you add the modifier as well.
    You can read my other posts about my experience with the fuel modifier from another thread. Check my profile to find it.
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Web Runner View Post
    I have an HMF exhaust on my 2010 RS. When I first installed it, I did not have a fuel modifier or K&N filter. It ran great just like that, however, I noticed a lot of popping on deceleration. I for one, like the popping but it was occuring more than I liked. I purchased the modifier from HMF, a K&N air filter, and installed both in one afternoon. The popping on decel was immediately resolved with just a few pops every now and then which was perfect for me. The air filter was installed in the stock airbox (which is also a great time to clean all the oil out of the box) and installed an oil catch to prevent engine oil being blown into the airbox but allowing pressure to vent.
    The fuel modifier is pre-programmed with fuel mappings from HMF for the RS. You can change the settings as you please to increase or decrease the amount of fuel going into the engine. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this next part: As I understand it, the K&N allows much more air into the engine, therefore allowing it to run leaner, increases engine temperature and makes popping on decel. Adding more fuel enriches the mixture and lowers the temperature of the engine. I would say if you only install the pipe and leave everything else stock, you should be just fine. If you add the K&N, then I would recommend you add the modifier as well.
    You can read my other posts about my experience with the fuel modifier from another thread. Check my profile to find it.
    Learned this trick on a HD Forum. Popping occurs on performance exhaust because on deceleration un-burnt gas is ignited in the exhaust pipe. If u release the throttle completely when decelerating the popping disappears. Try it.

Spyder Garage

Default exhaust mod

I recently added a twobros dual slipon which sounds awsome a k-n airfilter and a powercommander V.I downloaded a map for this setup and the machine did not run that well.I removed the powercommander and know it runs great.I wish I had of checked out this forum before I tried the powercommander cause I didn't need it and now a expensive thing just sitting on the shelf needing a new home.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    I recently added a twobros dual slipon which sounds awsome a k-n airfilter and a powercommander V.I downloaded a map for this setup and the machine did not run that well.I removed the powercommander and know it runs great.I wish I had of checked out this forum before I tried the powercommander cause I didn't need it and now a expensive thing just sitting on the shelf needing a new home.
    You should have tried a different map before you removed it. When I installed the Two Brothers single on my RS, I needed a fuel tuner because it popped and backfired too much. I bought the power commander and I installed it with the Two Brothers map. It ran better but still not great. I put the map in for stock exhaust and filter and boy it runs perfect. Great power and not a pop or stumble. Sometimes you have to try a different map, it's easy enough to do.
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

Hello everyone

Just got a 2012 RSS with only 3500 miles.
    Runs good.
    Why is everyone changing to some knid of exhaust and then intake and then tuner?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bikes111 View Post
    Hello everyone

Just got a 2012 RSS with only 3500 miles.
    Runs good.
    Why is everyone changing to some knid of exhaust and then intake and then tuner?
    This particular thread is from 2016. Not to much posting about exhaust changeovers of late.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red