Active Member RockyMountainRider50's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT-622 Trailer with RotoPax fuel system

Videos and pics show my latest mod to adhere the RotoPax fuel system to the tongue of my 2010 RT-622 trailer
    https://youtu.be/iyZAxSbLtVE
    https://youtu.be/8puZZicMbOM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RockyMountainRider50; 04-28-2016 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Upload link and pics
    2012 RT LTD & RT-622 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

How much do those containers hold?? While they might look snazzy mounted there, have you thought about what their weight mounted that far forward will do to the weight limits on your tow-hitch & the Spyder suspension?

I thought the tow-ball down-load limit was down around 40lbs or so, regardless of what the overall towing weight limit was?? Surely mounting any extra weight way forward like that on the tow arm/hitch is going to make the towball download faaar exceed the down-load limit for the Spyder hitch?? And regardless of whether you have a BRP approved tow hitch or anything else, that excess weight on the towball hasta be pounding the crap outta your suspension every time you tow even if you aren't riding 2-up!!

Wouldnt it it be a lot better to mount them up the back? Or at least pressed hard back onto the front of the trailer body instead of so far forward; so that you can at least try to balance the load out easier by putting something heavy towards the back of the trailer/behind the axle??

Just askin??

Regardless, I do wish we could get something like those RotoPax fuel containers here in Aus, they work well & make securing them onto anything fairly easy....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-28-2016 at 01:21 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

​hi peter snakeracing in Sydney have them, been looking ourselves, but a bit pricey.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-19-2022 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Removed underlining... ;-/

Spyder Garage

The only RotoPax I could find here didn't have the Aust compliance stamp/sticker & that means you might not be allowed to 'legally' fill or store/carry fuel in them & could get done if you do!!

Not sure if SnakeRacing have got compliance for the gear they sell, but I'll check!

Spyder Garage

With regard to tongue weight …..

I have towed an Aspen Sentry trailer all over the US. Weight distribution is the key thing to remember as well as max weights. I would keep the trailer total trailer weight to just a tad over 400 lbs. I keep the tongue weight as close to 10% of trailer weight as possible while keeping it as close to the 40lb. limit. When I load my trailer, I hang the tongue from the garage ceiling attached to a scale at the ride height. Then I load the trailer including the cooler, and watch the tongue weight. I distribute the weight so I get the right balance.

Hope this is informative
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    How much do those containers hold?? While they might look snazzy mounted there, have you thought about what their weight mounted that far forward will do to the weight limits on your tow-hitch & the Spyder suspension?

I thought the tow-ball down-load limit was down around 40lbs or so, regardless of what the overall towing weight limit was?? Surely mounting any extra weight way forward like that on the tow arm/hitch is going to make the towball download faaar exceed the down-load limit for the Spyder hitch?? And regardless of whether you have a BRP approved tow hitch or anything else, that excess weight on the towball hasta be pounding the crap outta your suspension every time you tow even if you aren't riding 2-up!!

Wouldnt it it be a lot better to mount them up the back? Or at least pressed hard back onto the front of the trailer body instead of so far forward; so that you can at least try to balance the load out easier by putting something heavy towards the back of the trailer/behind the axle??

Just askin??

Regardless, I do wish we could get something like those RotoPax fuel containers here in Aus, they work well & make securing them onto anything fairly easy....
    All good question! You can find these on Ebay or Amazon. These only hold one US gallon per container. An additional 6 lbs plus hardware. Approximately 13 US pounds together. I'll have to see how they hold up and consider your recommendations. Thanks for your input my friend.
    Last edited by RockyMountainRider50; 04-28-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    With regard to tongue weight …..

I have towed an Aspen Sentry trailer all over the US. Weight distribution is the key thing to remember as well as max weights. I would keep the trailer total trailer weight to just a tad over 400 lbs. I keep the tongue weight as close to 10% of trailer weight as possible while keeping it as close to the 40lb. limit. When I load my trailer, I hang the tongue from the garage ceiling attached to a scale at the ride height. Then I load the trailer including the cooler, and watch the tongue weight. I distribute the weight so I get the right balance.

Hope this is informative
    Excellent suggestion! Thanks for sharing your proven technique. Will do the same!

Spyder Garage

Default Another option

Fyi was looking around at doing the same thing while back (still undecided & underfunded) i found the Daystar Cam can system. They mount to a post that will fit a standard pad lock or cable They rotate to a position & stay there, as well as various option cans can stack & carry what you need fuel, water, or supplies.
    I learned the rotopax cans needed special brackets to stack & only would lock down with their special lock The price & availability varied for my local area, mostly found at off-road 4X4 speciality stores. Not really a big necessity item as most everyone will just tote (bungee)a 5gal jug if they think they might need it & even if you didn't bring one, one of your buds did. (Someone close enough always has 1!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMountainRider50 View Post
    Videos and pics show my latest mod to adhere the RotoPax fuel system to the tongue of my 2010 RT-622 trailer
    https://youtu.be/iyZAxSbLtVE
    https://youtu.be/8puZZicMbOM
    I was thinking of doing this same thing. Have you been able to determine how badly it affects gas mileage? Thanks
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

nice, was thinking of doing the same thing. I was going to mount a cooler and these on each side of the cooler. Then I realized these two fit nicely inside the trailer at the back right behind the wheel well area. One on each side. between the cooler i had. But I was wanting to put a battery operated (12V) cooler on this somewhere and power it off a 12V lead. I'm actually looking at doing that but mounting a rear "carrier" at the back of the trailer that can be removed. Just have to find a small 15qt cooler that is water proof on the controls. And provide a vent for the cooling. I'd also like the cooler to be bear proof and lockable. Some of these can run for 3 days off a rechargeable battery pack. Looks good.

Spyder Garage

Regarding tongue weight measurement.....Instead of getting fancy and carried away, just go to your local fishing store and get a fish weigh scale. They are inexpensive, small, and pretty accurate. I tossed mine in the trailer and took it with me on the road. Took two seconds to get tongue weight when hooking the trailer up. BTW; I found my RT622 was happiest with tongue between 18 and 25 lbs. regardless of total load....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi