Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How do you remove the radio antena?

Do you have to remove body work to remove the antena? My son gave me a cover for my 2012 RT and I don't want to break the antena when I cover it. I just want to remove it on the fly, if possible...

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Slide the rubber boot up. The antenna unscrews.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The antena is extremely tight; too tight to turn by hand... Any idea what size wrench to use?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It probably has Loctite on the threads.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I think it is a 7 mm. I have a cheap wrench that I heated and bent to fit into the opening.
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

take the boot off the antenna. take the end tip off the antenna.

slide a 7mm socket over the antenna. take some pliers or vice grips and clamp on the socket and begin slowly turning. should loosen up slowly.

Spyder Garage

Default Antenna Replacement

I parked mine too close to the garage door, and it snapped when the door closed. I'll try to remove mine and look for a shorty/shortee antenna. I initially planned to forget replacing the antenna, but it looks kind of bad.

Thanks for these instructions.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    take the boot off the antenna. take the end tip off the antenna.

slide a 7mm socket over the antenna. take some pliers or vice grips and clamp on the socket and begin slowly turning. should loosen up slowly.
    2019 Black F3-T

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Another option is to put a small hole in the cover for the antenna. My cover already had a hole. I would not want to have to remove and replace the antenna every time I cover the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Makes me fondly remember the old GL-1500 antennas that folded down forward and fit easily under covers.
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree that you aren't going to want to remove it every time you use the cover. Also agree that if you figure out where the hole should be that you can easily cut a small hole and sew a seem around the hole to keep it from ripping.

Gary

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Slide the rubber boot up. The antenna unscrews.
    As mentioned use a 7mm wrench.... put some tape around the whole to prevent scratches.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1113759

And you don't want to be doing this every time you put on the cover. Get the Scosche RMA900 Replacement Car Antenna from Walmart. You only need to use the "Rubber Ducky" mast... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RM...tenna/16652627
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    As mentioned use a 7mm wrench.... put some tape around the whole to prevent scratches.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1113759

And you don't want to be doing this every time you put on the cover. Get the Scosche RMA900 Replacement Car Antenna from Walmart. You only need to use the "Rubber Ducky" mast... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RM...tenna/16652627

I agree, I replaced the $50 (PoS ) BRP breakable mast with the shorty flexible $9 WalMart antenna which will flex when you put the cover on and reception is equal. Coming from the mtns. of VA.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not to be a smart a... but check your cover, mine actually has a flap that opens for the antenna so the cover with go over it.

Spyder Garage

The Bike Barn isn't so accommodating. I snapped my antenna last night when I closed up the Barn. The shorty antenna sounds like a great solution!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nakerr View Post
    Makes me fondly remember the old GL-1500 antennas that folded down forward and fit easily under covers.
    I do not understand how everybody else can figure out a folding antenna but tech loaded Can Am can't. My 1st Venture back in 1983 had a folding antenna.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I do not understand how everybody else can figure out a folding antenna but tech loaded Can Am can't. My 1st Venture back in 1983 had a folding antenna.
    Where are you going to fold it to?
    Where it's currently mounted on that slant: the nightmare would only get more interesting...
    cognaccruiser has the right idea: cut a hole in the proper place, and sew around it... (Like a buttonhole!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

insult a harley rider?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    insult a harley rider?
    Oh sure... That'll get it removed for you.
    But I think that reception will suffer, with it shoved that far up your...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Czardobbs View Post
    The antena is extremely tight; too tight to turn by hand... Any idea what size wrench to use?
    7mm deep well socket. drop it over the bolt and use a channel lock on the socket to loosen. be gentle. spray a dab of wd40 on the bolt first.

Spyder Garage

If you are removing a broken antenna, watch out for those teeny-tiny shards of broken fiberglass. I didn't wear nitrile gloves because they were at least seven feet away from me, and I paid for it. Here's a tip- if you can't see them to get them out of your skin, simply rub hand sanitizer over the area. I guarantee you will get an immediate indication of where they are!

Gorilla Clear Repair tape works wonders for getting them out. The adhesive is thick and strong and will grab the fibers.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I went all the way to eliminate the external antenna altogether. Its reception as a hidden antenna is just as good as a regular antenna. Now does anyone have a good idea how to plug the hole ...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Hidden-Ca...9VJ9sa&vxp=mtr

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Where are you going to fold it to?
    Where it's currently mounted on that slant: the nightmare would only get more interesting...
    cognaccruiser has the right idea: cut a hole in the proper place, and sew around it... (Like a buttonhole!)
    What do you mean where am I going to fold it to, horizontal of course. If they put a deep enough slot in the mount it will lay level and if they need to they can do a 2 stage mount to get it down. Or they could have mounted it some other way. Or, Or, Or. I'm just a stupid retired steelworker and if I can come up with 3 ideas they can come up with alot more. Making a folding antenna is not rocket science or at least it shouldn't be. BTW the antenna on my Venture and Royal Star Venture both angled back when up. The Venture one actually went at an angle down when lowered. As did the RS Venture I think. I don't really remember as I didn't have that one very long as I totaled it, the reason for being on 3 wheels.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 06-27-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PLUGGING THE HOLE

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    I went all the way to eliminate the external antenna altogether. Its reception as a hidden antenna is just as good as a regular antenna. Now does anyone have a good idea how to plug the hole ...
    There are two ways : you can get a paint matched cover/plug from BRP ( like the one on the opposite side for the CB antennae ) or you can do what I did and fill with Bondo , sand, prime and paint .....I found two off the shelf spray paint colors for the Pearl White RT that defy belief as a match !!!!!.......Mike

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Hidden-Ca...9VJ9sa&vxp=mtr
    SEE ABOVE

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ANOTHER OPTION

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    What do you mean where am I going to fold it to, horizontal of course. If they put a deep enough slot in the mount it will lay level and if they need to they can do a 2 stage mount to get it down. Or they could have mounted it some other way. Or, Or, Or. I'm just a stupid retired steelworker and if I can come up with 3 ideas they can come up with alot more. Making a folding antenna is not rocket science or at least it shouldn't be. BTW the antenna on my Venture and Royal Star Venture both angled back when up. The Venture one actually went at an angle down when lowered. As did the RS Venture I think. I don't really remember as I didn't have that one very long as I totaled it, the reason for being on 3 wheels.
    I re-placed the OEM antennae ( which broke ) with a fully re-tractable one, that fits entirely inside the speaker housing.....I posted PIC's a couple of months ago........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Laughs but------you'd think.....

I am chuckling over this but----you know.......here we are Ryding a $30k RT-they could have installed a motorized retractable antenna for that matter. Heck, I had a 1989 Honda Accord once with an electric retractable antenna. You had to hold a button down to make it go down our up, really didn't need one but it was there. BRP could do this too, but heck, they don't include a 3rd high mount brake light as part of the original package, why would they do this? Just my .02 cents worth and that isn't saying much!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!