Spyder Garage

Exclamation Passenger not happy!!! :-/

Has anyone attempted to raise the back passenger seat so that the passenger can see over the driver? Really wanted my wife to enjoy our rides and she is frustrated!!!

Spyder Garage

For starters, I would recommend adding either/both a sheepskin seat pad and a Airhawk cushion. Together, they should give you a couple inches of height adjustment without any modifications to the actual seat.

Have not heard of anyone actually doing something different with the actual seat to raise it higher (like the king/queen seating that was available in the 1970's).

If you do find a better solution where the passenger can see over the driver, you may encounter some wind issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks Spyderman

Great ideas. I do need to consider the wind with increased height.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seat shop can add padding too

Spyder Garage

On the "Ultimate Seat", the passenger definately sits higher...on an ST. My wife however did not like the buffeting she felt from being higher (it could have been the height of the windshield possibly too causing it). But its a lot of money. I would see if anyone in your area has one to try out.
    2013 Spyder ST Limited...Akrapovic Sport Silencer, Fog Lights, Backrest, Spyderpops BumpSkid, 2014 cooling panels, BajaRon swaybar, Fox shocks, RS-S mag wheels...
    2014 Spyder RT-S, Spyderpops BumpSkid, BajaRon Swaybar, TricLED lighting, Magic Mirrors, Akrapovic Sport Silencer...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How much of a height bump do you need?

Spyder Garage

One of our sponsers here MotorcycleDave.com rebuilds wheelchair cushions and also sells gel pads for the Spyders. Go to the home page and look in the ads there you will find him. Give him a call bext week, they are out of town right now, but tell him your problem and I am sure he can suggest a solution.

Then go find the other post you started on this same subject and delete it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default BETTER PROTECTION

I rather leave the seat height the same. The passenger is protected from the wind and bugs by riding behind and holding around the waist.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

the comfort seat gives the driver more room and raises the pasenger. My wife was happy with the change. You need to find a bunch of spyders and see if you cha sit on some of the custom seats....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up THANKS EVERYONE!!! Great advice in seat height!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    the comfort seat gives the driver more room and raises the pasenger. My wife was happy with the change. You need to find a bunch of spyders and see if you cha sit on some of the custom seats....

Thanks everyone for all of your advice on the seat height!!

Spyder Garage

Ive had 20 machines of all brands

Never has the passenger been up that high

There are many reasons

With all due respect have your wife relax, look left & right & have fun

My wife is very demanding about almost everything but she enjoys riding to the nth degree

Or get another bike for her[emoji56]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ok

I have to admit that I am in the minority but my wife drive our Spyder half of the time, and I drive the other half. I sit in the back and we are both the same height. So I am slightly higher in the seat then she is. If I look straight forward I see "Arai DOT SNELL". I look left and right and lean if I need to look beyond her helmet. I just relax and enjoy the wind and sun and scenery.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

There are pros/cons to everything.
    I am nearly a foot taller than my wife so on our RS with stock or comfort seat, she is still behind me and prefers that b/c I block all the wind which allows her to just relax.
    She doesn't like the F3 because she might actually be above my head and get wind. Hopefully I can convince her otherwise.
    When I rode passenger on the RT, I got horrible buffeting whether the stock shield was high or low.

A seat cushion or even a thin pillow would be a good test before investing in changing the seat itself. I saw some air cushions at CycleGear fairly cheap.

Spyder Garage

I bought a Murano convertible so she can sit next to me. <smiles>

Chris

Spyder Garage

Wife also wanted to sit higher so we tried with padding etc. Problem then was in twisties she could not comfortably hold on to the grab rails...

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black