Spyder Garage

Default 2014 st-s sm-5 skipping and popping?

so i went for a ride the other day. and it ran fine about 15 min. . I get off the freeway and come up to the light, and the bike is popping in the exhaust, and it stalls as I come to a stop. it starts right back up , but it's skipping and backfiring at idle. it sounds like just one cyl. is running. I try to take off and it stalls again. so I pull the clutch in this time. I rev it a little more and get it going . but it wont accelerate and has no power. I limp it back home , it took full throttle just to keep up with traffic. no check engine light nothing. I called the dealer and they are backed up and cant look at it right away. any ideas? the bike is stock. and only has 2500 miles on it. I know that the plug wires are problematic, but at only 2500 miles? could that be it. I won't have a chance to look at it till the weekend, so I'm trying to get some ideas of what else to check?

Spyder Garage

If you resonantly filled up with gas that might be the problem. I got bad gas one time and it did the same thing.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Skipping and popping

My 2010 is skipping and popping as well. Did you ever find out the cause?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you guys try pulling any error codes?
    Start the bikes, and run through the process. Let us know what pops up.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2013 st did the same thing ! strated Home 5 miles after 2 got hot,no warning light

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    so i went for a ride the other day. and it ran fine about 15 min. . I get off the freeway and come up to the light, and the bike is popping in the exhaust, and it stalls as I come to a stop. it starts right back up , but it's skipping and backfiring at idle. it sounds like just one cyl. is running. I try to take off and it stalls again. so I pull the clutch in this time. I rev it a little more and get it going . but it wont accelerate and has no power. I limp it back home , it took full throttle just to keep up with traffic. no check engine light nothing. I called the dealer and they are backed up and cant look at it right away. any ideas? the bike is stock. and only has 2500 miles on it. I know that the plug wires are problematic, but at only 2500 miles? could that be it. I won't have a chance to look at it till the weekend, so I'm trying to get some ideas of what else to check?
    My se 5 did same thing started home ,made it 2 miles , Got hot and plastic on left side melted,No warning lights,!

Spyder Garage

sorry I never posted the outcome. but after 5 weeks at the dealership tying different things. it supposedly was a bad purge solenoid . it been ok since. but I did notice the plastic was also melted on the left side by the pipe. dealer would not replace it. on another note the brake light still stays on often, even after they finally replaced the switch.

Spyder Garage

Hi quadfather,

Re: was a bad purge solenoid

My '08 was doing something similar. My local indie mechanic replaced the purge valve & all is good with the world once again.

The purge valve itself cost me $45.00. My indie mechanic recently told me that the same valve for the 1330's is ~$120.00.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Registered Users TeddyBearsRoadster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 08' Spyder GS SM5 popping and surging.

My 08' Spyder GS SM5 is doing the same thing. When trying to maintain a constant speed the ending surges and i can hear a little popping in the exhaust.
    If I accelerate even just a little it smooths right out and goes.
    Thanks for the purge valve idea.
    I plan to get one and hope that works.
    i love my Spyder. So much fun to ride.

Thanks again a in and Y'all ride safe.

John