Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default great job

how much fuel did you carry, and how did you carry it. what was your longest distance between fuel stops.
    AllenR

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The CANNONBALL 500 AND 1000, is pretty much the same thing. You must be clocked in to start and clocked out to finish,there are checkpoints you need to check in with as well, on the 500 mile ride, there is 5 places you need to check in with, gas receipts must also be provided, not sure about the deal with the 1000, as am not interested. YOU MUST DO the 500 ride in 12 hours or less, and start and finish at the same place. The 1000 is the same deal only in 24 hours, you actually get to stop for the night as long as you complete the start/stop in 24 hours. Looking forward to it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

I am running out of why's but once again WHY?

Jack

You ask WHY? That part would be too hard to explain. When you only have one week's vacation. An Iron Butt run will get you there quickly. That's if your riding friend doesn't have Tire problems. 6 days to go home and three of them we're under 300 miles. Going through the Sequoia National Forest and Death Valley made it all worthwhile. God's beautiful creation is not in one spot to view
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I thank God for his Amazing Creation a fun and safe week. You have a good summer.

Spyder Garage

Default endurance rides

I just read someone did the cannon ball on a bmw motorcycle in 38 hrs 49 min Mans name was Carl Reese. Sounds like one hell of a tough ride!!!

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I and the wife did 1000 miles in 17.5

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To CMA/IBA_Rider, my hat is off to you. One hell of a ride!! I have been thinking about doing a 1000 mile Iron Butt lately but the coast to coast is something else. Anyone in NC who is thinking about doing one, let me know.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    You do not need an "official" ride to have your ride accredited. I have done several rides and only the first one had a pre-arrangement with the IBA. While the rule are somewhat different between different rides, basically you must have your start and arrival witnessed, and the ride itself documented VI's a log, and gas and meal recieptes.

While my own experience has been limited to the South Eastern US, I suspect the following tips are applicable in varying degrees most everywhere.

Tips (based on a SS2000 ride)
    For planning purposes, I figure to fillip every 150 miles, in some areas/TOD more often.
    I p!an on eating at least every 6 hours.
    I plan on finishing several hours before required to give some breathing room due to road conditions; traffic, construction, heavy rain, etc.
    I assume that pit stops will become more frequent after 30-35 hours.
    Now, assuming 15 min each fuel/stretch stop, every 150 miles, that's about 4 hours.
    Assume eating something more that energy bars every 6 hours @ 30 min each, that is almost another 4 hours.

So all of a sudden, your actual in the saddle time has been reduced by 6-8 hours: that's 6-8 hours @ 0 mph...

Just food for thought.

Good luck,

Tom
    I hadn't realised that any ride could be accredited, I just assumed it had to be an official event of some kind. I'll look into that, though I enjoy the camaraderie of the proper rally's.

You're right Tom the stops are where you can lose a lot of time particularly on events like the TT2000 where you have checkpoints as well as the fuel stops. I use a hydration pack filled Powerade (a New Zealand sports hydration drink) so I can drink while riding and just eat homemade energy bars while filling up with petrol. Normally never have anything else to eat unless I've managed to get a couple of hours ahead of schedule, in which case I may have a meat pie as a reward:-) The other thing I ditch is coffee which I must admit is the hardest part for me particularly on the 48 hour events. However as a result my checkpoint stops are down to 10 seconds and petrol stops 2 minutes so it all helps.

Petrol is the biggest issue here particularly at night on the back routes we use. It's not uncommon to find the next petrol station is beyond the range of the Spyder so I carry four 5 litre petrol cans giving me an extra 20 litres (5.2 gallons) range. Even then I came unstuck on the last TT2000 when one of the 24 hour petrol stations was out of action and I'd already used two of my cans. With the checkpoint rally's I spend more time on planning the optimum petrol stops than the route:-)

Thanks,

Jos

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allensr View Post
    how much fuel did you carry, and how did you carry it. what was your longest distance between fuel stops.
    AllenR
    280 on the 50cc 400 miles on the way home

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    The CANNONBALL 500 AND 1000, is pretty much the same thing. You must be clocked in to start and clocked out to finish,there are checkpoints you need to check in with as well, on the 500 mile ride, there is 5 places you need to check in with, gas receipts must also be provided, not sure about the deal with the 1000, as am not interested. YOU MUST DO the 500 ride in 12 hours or less, and start and finish at the same place. The 1000 is the same deal only in 24 hours, you actually get to stop for the night as long as you complete the start/stop in 24 hours. Looking forward to it.
    Get your witness to sign you out. Get your fuel receipt starts the ride you run less than 350 miles and fuel in the corners of your route fuel at the end that stops the time get your Witnesses