Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default coast to coast in 50 hrs

Hi all,
    A friend of mine has just completed the Ironbutt coast to coast in 50 hrs on a RT. Spyders are competing in the tough rides and doing fine! He is on this list but is getting some well needed sleep. Maybe he will chime in.

Spyder Garage

I have some friends that have done this and other more extreme ones like 4 Corners of US, etc. Admittedly most riders are not in any shape to do these type of rides. However, it is like most other things if you are very physically fit and work up to it over time I believe that these type of rides are safe. Take a look at the IBA site www.ironbutt.com ; safety is a big part of their philosophy.
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Spyder Garage

Just like running marathons some people like to see how far they can push themselves and their machines.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! Good for him.

That wouldn't be something I'd be interested in tackling, but it's good that Spyders are representing.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That seems intensley insane AND DANGEROUS. I am doing the CANNONBALL 500 in Canada, and that is my limit. Done it before but never on a sanctioned run.

Spyder Garage

Ironbutt rides are built with safety in mind. This ride for instance is 50 hrs and 2200 miles. If you averaged 55 MPH you would have 10 hrs for rest and sleep. Most go the limit or a little above. For instance in Texas the limit is 80 MPH so you would gain some more rest time moving at 80 Also like said above you need to train and be in shape to do this. I know a bunch of extreme road riders and they are the most safety conscience out there.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

From where to where...?? I've done coast to coast in florida many times in way less time... I did conn to SD in 63 hours driving time in a 18' u-haul and trailering the mini cooper....but nothing to do with the iron butt. He must be bushed and very pleased with himself.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Superb!

Congrats to him.
    I'd like to hear his 2 cents when he is rested.
    ~Sandee~

Quote Originally Posted by jcasey View Post
    Hi all,
    A friend of mine has just completed the Ironbutt coast to coast in 50 hrs on a RT. Spyders are competing in the tough rides and doing fine! He is on this list but is getting some well needed sleep. Maybe he will chime in.

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Default Where to where?

From Jacksonville Beach to some beach in San Diego. He's got to be very pleased with himself.

There's a CC50 the hard way scheduled Sept 9 - 12, with 32 riders and 2 passengers currently signed up - no Can-Ams so far. This one goes from New York to San Francisco.

It's not for everyone and certainly not for me, but I salute those who are so inclined. I was so glad to see a Spyder accomplish this.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    From where to where...?? I've done coast to coast in florida many times in way less time... I did conn to SD in 63 hours driving time in a 18' u-haul and trailering the mini cooper....but nothing to do with the iron butt. He must be bushed and very pleased with himself.....
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on the achievement.
    Why hasn't the award recipient chimed in yet ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

He's most likely still sleeping or sitting on a bag of ice

Spyder Garage

Safety is number 1, physically prepare, mentally prepare, and awesome feeling when it's done. Congratulation.
    IBA # 61125
    Saddle Sore 1000
    Bun Burner 1500
    1st one to do 48/10 on a Spyder
    4 Corner Finisher
    SCMA Member

Spyder Garage

That's really cool, when they are rested and had a chance to get there ideas sorted it will be good to hear more about it.

Got to say Spyders make really good endurance rally bikes. My only complaint with my RS is the gas tank range.

We don't have offical Iron Butt rallys here but at this years NI 1600 there is an option to have your ride accredited by the Iron Butt Association so I may do that.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Jim. That is not a very hard ride 46 mile an hour average. But when you throw in two flat tires one on the side of the road. And the Interstate closed for sandstorm and truck racks. We had to take a 110 Mile detour to get around it. We made it in time with 20 minutes to spare. Now we're going through Sierra National Forest Death Valley lost wages Grand Canyon on our way back to East Tennessee.

Spyder Garage

The flat tires were not mine the spider ran perfect. You can follow me the rest of the trip at.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...556fc1b64352ae

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI you long distance riders, the Houston TX BMW club will hold it's annual "solstice run" in June on the weekend closest to June 21. They start on IH10 at MM 880 (the TX/LA state line) and ride to MM1 in Anthony, TX. They start at official sunrise and end at official sunset. After the 880 miles, they ride another 120 miles to get their Iron Butt patch. They must average about 67 mph to do the 880 in the 13+ hours between sunrise and sunset. IH10 passes through the middle of Houston, San Antonio and El Paso, slowing them down, so they really move out in west Texas. You'all come, hear.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcasey View Post
    Hi all,

I am running out of why's but once again WHY?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    Because he can!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    I can't speak for this guy but in my case it's because the lure of the road is very strong, it sings with a voice that I have troubling ignoring. That perfect state of oneness with bike, road and landscape. Of endless distances and endless journeys. Endurance events give me a small opportunity to experience what I really want to be doing forever.

Spyder Garage

I can't imagine ever doing this but my hats off to anyone that does and can.

Spyder Garage

RT Spyder got one of the best Saddles. I I needed a lot of ice when i rode Honda Nighthawk from Key West to Deadhorse Alaska in 14 days

Spyder Garage

When we did our first Ironbutt, our termination point was Pitbull in Springfield. Since then, with proper accessories to shift pressure points, Our SS 2000 went a whole lot easier. congratulations on the 50CC. Yes, you did it because you could.
    Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Default IBA rides

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    That's really cool, when they are rested and had a chance to get there ideas sorted it will be good to hear more about it.

Got to say Spyders make really good endurance rally bikes. My only complaint with my RS is the gas tank range.

We don't have offical Iron Butt rallys here but at this years NI 1600 there is an option to have your ride accredited by the Iron Butt Association so I may do that.
    You do not need an "official" ride to have your ride accredited. I have done several rides and only the first one had a pre-arrangement with the IBA. While the rule are somewhat different between different rides, basically you must have your start and arrival witnessed, and the ride itself documented VI's a log, and gas and meal recieptes.

While my own experience has been limited to the South Eastern US, I suspect the following tips are applicable in varying degrees most everywhere.

Tips (based on a SS2000 ride)
    For planning purposes, I figure to fillip every 150 miles, in some areas/TOD more often.
    I p!an on eating at least every 6 hours.
    I plan on finishing several hours before required to give some breathing room due to road conditions; traffic, construction, heavy rain, etc.
    I assume that pit stops will become more frequent after 30-35 hours.
    Now, assuming 15 min each fuel/stretch stop, every 150 miles, that's about 4 hours.
    Assume eating something more that energy bars every 6 hours @ 30 min each, that is almost another 4 hours.

So all of a sudden, your actual in the saddle time has been reduced by 6-8 hours: that's 6-8 hours @ 0 mph...

Just food for thought.

Good luck,

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

my wife is 62 rides a 13 victory crosscountry. she has completed 2 ironbutts from the annual convention here in jax fl

she also did a flower sniffer IBA to Alaska last year. and 1 to west va.

going to one in Vermont in july. flower sniffer trips do not ride at night

I put 76k on my 08 spyder and have 65k on my 09
    been as far west as Arkansas, north to baltamore
    south to key west. only problem with all the miles. the front sprocket came off. dead n the water. AAA to the rescue

SPYDERS ARE GREAT

Spyder Garage

I made the destination Hyder last year also. Mars Pennsylvania to Hyder Alaska in three days. I probably talk to her. I was writing a ST 1300 police bike pulling a cargo trailer.