Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

OK, so I received two (2!) Spyder-related UPS deliveries today plus a USPS Spyder delivery!

My DVD shop manual from Midwest manuals came (hooray), a RAM GPS mount from CycleGadgets.com, and a Nelson-Rigg CL-400 mini tankbag from NewEnough.

The RAM mount is much nicer than my cheap-o "suction-cup-on-the-tach" method, and it brings the GPS nice and close without blocking my view of mirrors or instruments.

Thanks again, Scotty for your advice, and John in PA-- I used your recommendations for attachment points for the tankbag. I went for the Nelson-RIgg bag because I've owned three of their bags and am impressed with durability and workmanship. New Enough never fails to deliver on customer service above and beyond. So, there's that loyalty + practicality. ALso, I can't help but like the looks of N-R bags on a Spyder, due to their slogan being imprinted in silver on the black rain cover:

"It's not just another bike."

I haven't test ridden yet (cold rain tonight and I have to work) so I don't know how much the wiggly-wobbly of the tank bag will drive me loco, but I will take the suggestion of cutting some closed cell foam to put under it.

Photos coming this weekend...

Of course, after all this my dealer calls and leaves a message that he has a BRP tank bag in stock for me...

Niagara Falls, Here we come...Oh, yeah, gotta get a banner first!
    Last edited by jeuchler; 03-26-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hey jeuchler, do they still call the western part of route 20 Jacob's ladder? Used to ride my Triumph through there back in the early 60's.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Modified Cortech

Modified Cortech:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Hey jeuchler, do they still call the western part of route 20 Jacob's ladder? Used to ride my Triumph through there back in the early 60's.

john
    Yep. Good idea for a test ride!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by powerbyaj View Post
    Modified Cortech:

That's a nice mod! No more rock & roll?

(Do you have a pic of the underside?)

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this fine post.... my new, Red, tank bag arrived today...looking forward to installing it....

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Underisde

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    That's a nice mod! No more rock & roll?

(Do you have a pic of the underside?)

Notes: Make straps short as possible to avoid the clips from hitting the seat when pulled tight. I am going to resew the seam again with the straps shorter otherwise was a perfect fit.

Spyder Garage

Default Cortech Mini tank bag

I looked at several options for tank bags for my spyder and myself, also liked the Cortech mini the best for price, fit and features. I wasn't crazy about the BRP tank bag for the price and what you get at $99. I purchased the black Cortech mini from my dealer and installed it like John did in this thread. The only difference is, I left the rear beaver tail on and find this will fit ok in between the seat and the plastic covering the tank once it gets matted down several times and forms in place. The beavertail I find will keep the bags rear buckle in place better which also will secure the bag better with less rocking. Here are a couple pics of my tank bag installed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    I looked at several options for tank bags for my spyder and myself, also liked the Cortech mini the best for price, fit and features. I wasn't crazy about the BRP tank bag for the price and what you get at $99. I purchased the black Cortech mini from my dealer and installed it like John did in this thread. The only difference is, I left the rear beaver tail on and find this will fit ok in between the seat and the plastic covering the tank once it gets matted down several times and forms in place. The beavertail I find will keep the bags rear buckle in place better which also will secure the bag better with less rocking. Here are a couple pics of my tank bag installed.

I talked with vtrider about this version of John's set-up when I saw him last week. He did a nice job, and it really looks sharp; like it was designed for the Spyder.

I went with the N-R tank bag, which is only a little bigger and a little more expensive. vt and I will have to re-review and do a comparison after we've run them for a while!

Spyder Garage

Resurrecting this as I'm about to pull the trigger (finally) on a tank bag.

It occurs to me, however, that I have the Helibar riser which brings the entire handlebar system closer to the rider. Anyone know if the riser is going to change how a tank bag will fit?

NewEnough has the Nelson Rigg bag on sale for $45!! But that one is slightly bigger than the Cortech Super Mini. So don't know quite what to do at this point. Can anyone be of help figuring out if and which tank bag will fit?
    Marilyn

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    Resurrecting this as I'm about to pull the trigger (finally) on a tank bag.

It occurs to me, however, that I have the Helibar riser which brings the entire handlebar system closer to the rider. Anyone know if the riser is going to change how a tank bag will fit?

NewEnough has the Nelson Rigg bag on sale for $45!! But that one is slightly bigger than the Cortech Super Mini. So don't know quite what to do at this point. Can anyone be of help figuring out if and which tank bag will fit?
    I am pretty sure vtrider is happy with his Cortech fit and finish--maybe he will weigh in again.

The Nelson-Rigg bag is a bit larger (remember everyone seemed to be buying trailers and hard bags last summer--I went the cheap way!) and a bit more expensive, but $45 is a great deal.

It is a bit wobbly, so I took John in PA's advice and put a couple of wedges of foam under it to stabilize it, but I really didn't notice any shifting when I had a normal load (no bowling balls) in it.

Of course money is tight, but $45 is a steal for N-R quality. You could probably even rig it as a rear bag.

Also, they are very good with their return policy if you decide it's just not what you like.

Good luck, Marilyn.

Spyder Garage

Default first gear mini hard bag

i bought a first gear mini tank bag

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3....4?opendocument

looks nice and a good fit. mounted with their magnet mount and epoxied some magnets under the cover

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have one of these tankbags and I really like the fit and quality.

You may have an issue with your Helibars, tho.

Spyder Garage

Bummer. After looking at the pictures of the Cortech bag (smaller of the two) mounted, I can tell the Helibar riser is going to be a problem. The Cortech bag just fits in these pictures. The Helibar riser brings the bars a good three inches closer to the ryder. That's going to cause major problems.

I would have loved to have gotten the Nelson Rigg on sale. $45 dollars is a steal!! But the pictures have proved much more informative than anything anyone said. So thanks for posting these.

Anyone have any other ideas of how I could get a map pocket on my tank?? For my ryding, a GPS is too much money for not enough use. Plus, I'm a low tech kind of person.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Bummer. After looking at the pictures of the Cortech bag (smaller of the two) mounted, I can tell the Helibar riser is going to be a problem. The Cortech bag just fits in these pictures. The Helibar riser brings the bars a good three inches closer to the ryder. That's going to cause major problems.

I would have loved to have gotten the Nelson Rigg on sale. $45 dollars is a steal!! But the pictures have proved much more informative than anything anyone said. So thanks for posting these.

Anyone have any other ideas of how I could get a map pocket on my tank?? For my ryding, a GPS is too much money for not enough use. Plus, I'm a low tech kind of person.
    There are a variety of map pouches available. Dennis Kirk has a suction cup model. Most are magnetic, but magnets or metal epoxied behind the Y-panel would hold them, or maybe even magnetic tape behind the panel. Aerostitch even offers ones that have elastic loops to fasten over your leg or forearm. A Google search for "tank map pouch" will get lots of results. In a pinch, a Ziploc bag and some duct tape or elastic have done it for me.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info Scotty. I've been looking at the options you suggested. I'm not thrilled with the suction cup offerings. Because of the contour of the tank, I'm not sure they will sit well on the Spyder. May go with one of the Aerostich arm or leg options. Lord knows that if I keep trying to rely on only my memory, that I'm bound to have problems eventually. I'm lucky if I remember what day it is sometimes!!!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info Scotty. I've been looking at the options you suggested. I'm not thrilled with the suction cup offerings. Because of the contour of the tank, I'm not sure they will sit well on the Spyder. May go with one of the Aerostich arm or leg options. Lord knows that if I keep trying to rely on only my memory, that I'm bound to have problems eventually. I'm lucky if I remember what day it is sometimes!!!
    I have done thousands of miles with either no map at all, or a map tucked away in my pocket or bags, where I can see it only when I stop. Having only an approximate idea of where I want to go, and wandering along the way, is a lot of fun. I have only owned a GPS for less than a year. Also, I am retired, and I forget what day it is all the time. Who cares?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Great attitude, Scotty!! I'm retired too. So I should try and worry about these things less!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Resurrecting this old thread to announce that I have finally tracked down the BRP Ski-Doo Handlebar bag pictured by vtrider!!!!! I had to hunt high and low for this. It's out of production now. The one I have may the the last bag available on the planet. I AM PSYCHED!!!!! Referred back to this post to see how vt mounted it. I see that he has doubled looped the bag ends. Perfect!!!!! SpyderLovers to the rescue again!!!!!!!!!!
    Marilyn