Spyder Garage

Default stripped threads

I think I pulled or cross threaded one of the holes for the tranny filter. Would anyone have an idea to help fix problem? Ideas like let dealer do it is not accepted as an alternative fix.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by copilot View Post
    I think I pulled or cross threaded one of the holes for the tranny filter. Would anyone have an idea to help fix problem? Ideas like let dealer do it is not accepted as an alternative fix.
    If it's cross threaded you can sometimes save it by carefully cleaning threads up by re-tapping. If there no threads left as in stripped you have 2 choices .One drill and tap to next size and drill clearance size in cover. The best fix is to get a heli-coil kit .You can usually get a kit with drill and tap and insertion tool.Drill ,hand tap for heli-coil. Use tool to screw heli-coil to right depth break tang off and you have a thread much stronger than oem.
    Last edited by Omcge; 04-25-2016 at 07:28 PM.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Omcge View Post
    If it's cross threaded you can sometimes save it by carefully cleaning threads up by re-tapping. If there no threads left as in stripped you have 2 choices .One drill and tap to next size and drill clearance size in cover. The best fix is to get a heli-coil kit .You can usually get a kit with drill and tap and insertion tool.Drill ,hand tap for heli-coil. Use tool to screw heli-coil to right depth break tang off and you have a thread much stronger than oem.
    Those are two very good ideas. When you put a Heli-coil in aluminum it actually is stronger than the original hole, however you need to have enough material around the hole to make it work. If you don't enough material, then the idea of going one size larger will be more likely to work.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Omcge View Post
    Thank you. Learn something new almost every day on this forum

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

The heli-coil is the way to go. Been using them for years in all the shops I worked at and now at home for any bungled bolt hole...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tap

Try to tap it first. Might be enough metal to work. Plan B is the helicoil, or a threadsert. PlanC is weld the hole full of aluminum, drill and tap. Plan D; Thermal incident. Things happen.......
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Installing a helicoil is a good repair plan. But it is more work then it may appear. The HCM cover needs to come off so that you can get to the threads in the main HCM casting. See item 53 below.

Another fix I know some have posted they have done. I think it is just crude and don't recommend it, but I am putting it out there. Drill all the way through and use a nut on a longer cap screw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you've never done a helicoil find someone that has to help you. I made the mistake a few years ago of recommending this exact same repair to someone thinking they knew their way around a toolbox, and they waffled up the install, dumped oil all over the place as the cover came apart, and played the blame game.
    Good Luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk