Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon Sway Bar on 2012 RT Ltd

Installed a new BajaRon sway bar (purchased from Lamonster) this weekend. It can be done without removing the frunk, but I was doing some other additions, so off with the frunk. It was an extremely easy project without the frunk. I'm looking forward to the re-assembly and new ride.

Now, where to mount the new FZ1 Fuzeblock?? AND the new SmoothSpyder tensioner came today! Woohoo... lots to do this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Limited - Lava Bronze
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts
    - Rivco Floorboards - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - Bad Boy Wolo Air Horn
    - FZ-1 Fuzeblock - Hopnel Lid Nets - Monster Graphics

Spyder Garage

Let me know where you install the FZ1!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NM Wrench View Post
    Let me know where you install the FZ1!

There is space just behind the frunk (under the driver's side light), but I have a Wolo Bad Boy air horn in that space. So with all the Tupperware removed, I'm thinking about the driver's side just forward of the knee, above the oil tank and below the speaker. Lots of room in that space. I have the air vent modify, so lots of air flow should keep the Fuzeblock cool enough. I made a mount from a mending plate that will attach to the brace bar. This also puts the Fuzeblock closer to the battery for wiring (I purchased the wiring kit). When I need to access it, it's just a quick panel removal. I'll post pics when I install it.
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
    There is space just behind the frunk (under the driver's side light), but I have a Wolo Bad Boy air horn in that space. So with all the Tupperware removed, I'm thinking about the driver's side just forward of the knee, above the oil tank and below the speaker. Lots of room in that space. I have the air vent modify, so lots of air flow should keep the Fuzeblock cool enough. I made a mount from a mending plate that will attach to the brace bar. This also puts the Fuzeblock closer to the battery for wiring (I purchased the wiring kit). When I need to access it, it's just a quick panel removal. I'll post pics when I install it.
    Well, finally got to the FZ-1 install. I made the brace from a mending plate. It is solid and doesn't move at all. The FZ-1 comes with a plastic backing for the unit. I mounted that on top of the plate and then the FZ-1 on top of that. It eliminates any metal contact with the electronics board.
    This area is closer to the battery for wiring the unit. It's also easy to remove the top panel for maintenance or additional add-ons. It is also cooled by the vents added from the v-twin heat resolution kit.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Well, finally got to the FZ-1 install. I made the brace from a mending plate. It is solid and doesn't move at all. The FZ-1 comes with a plastic backing for the unit. I mounted that on top of the plate and then the FZ-1 on top of that. It eliminates any metal contact with the electronics board.
    This area is closer to the battery for wiring the unit. It's also easy to remove the top panel for maintenance or additional add-ons. It is also cooled by the vents added from the v-twin heat resolution kit.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Forgot the pre-paint pic of the mount. Primed and painted the mending plate and brace with high temp spray paint.

Sent using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Exactely the same place i installed mine.
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

Spyder Garage

where do you find "mending" plates? That looks like a useful item for lots of things

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    where do you find "mending" plates? That looks like a useful item for lots of things
    Yes, they are very useful. Can be used for lots of projects. They can be found at Home Depot or Lowe's. Usually in the building supply aisles near roofing or deck building stuff.

Spyder Garage

Default AMAZING upgrades

Just took the Bronze Bomber for a quick test ride after the mod installs. The vibration at higher rpms is completely gone. Much thanks to Jim at SmoothSpyder for providing this product. I've been waiting all winter to do this. Small price to pay for a solid solution.

The Spyder is an absolute beast in the twisties now with the BajaRon sway bar and new links (both purchased from Lamonster Garage). I've read all the great reviews but nothing compares to the actual experience. If you haven't installed this yet, don't wait any longer. It is a MUST have. Forget about all the lights and other stuff. This is the best bang for buck you can get.

Thanks to everyone that provides information (good and bad) on this forum. The community is simply incredible and I respect all the experience you provide to new riders like me.

My Spyder is even more fun to ride now. I can't wait for my Northeast tour (Rochester to P.E.I.) next month.

Spyder Garage

Would you mind educating me on why you purchased and installed a "sway bar". What is their purpose? I see a lot of people add that, so I am curious what it's for.

Thanks
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Smile Anti-sway bar

Hi Joe,

An Anti-sway bar keeps the From leaning outwards while turning (sway ). Most all cars have them and many now also have one on the back axel also. The anti-sway bar on the Is a bit undersized for "sprited" riding and many of us have added a larger diameter bar. I recently let a new Owner try my BajaRon equiped RT-S and as she pulled back in she said she HAD to have one!!

It's a very common addition to many .'S.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCPA View Post
    Would you mind educating me on why you purchased and installed a "sway bar". What is their purpose? I see a lot of people add that, so I am curious what it's for.

Thanks
    Joe
    Hi Joe,

I wasn't real sure at first either. As I read more I began to understand the necessity, especially after taking a few corners a bit too fast. The Spyder automatically went into "safety" mode and all but shut down (as it is supposed to do). The BajaRon sway bar increases stability dramatically when cornering. I can take corners as fast I can in my Dodge R/T (well... almost). A side by side comparison will show that the OEM bar is not as beefy as the new replacement. This explains the great difference in cornering stability. You will enjoy the Spyder so much more on curvy roads. Along with the belt tensioner from SmoothSpyder, both items are a must have for a more enjoyable ride. Not sure why BRP has not upgraded the newer models with these features, but they should.

Make the investment, you will not be disappointed. Watch the video from "Finless Bob" on You Tube for the installation. It's relatively easy, especially if you are a wrench head.

-Rick

Spyder Garage

Forgot the pre-paint pic of the mount. Primed and painted the mending plate and brace with high temp spray paint.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Where did you tap into a ignition source wire?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NM Wrench View Post
    Where did you tap into a ignition source wire?

I disconnected both of my analog dash gauges (gas and temp) to utilize the digital readout. Attached to each gauge is a three-wire connector and a "free" spade wire that powers the gauge light. This single free wire is a switched wire and can be tapped. It is easy to fish/route a wire to this location, especially with the upper tupperware and dash removed.

I have the BRP dash insert blank covers to replace the removed analog gauges. On the left blank cover I drilled a 1 1/8" hole and inserted a USB charger. This is connected to my FZ-1 Fuzeblock.

Spyder Garage

I disconnected both of my analog dash gauges (gas and temp) to utilize the digital readout. Attached to each gauge is a three-wire connector and a "free" spade wire that powers the gauge light. This single free wire is a switched wire and can be tapped. It is easy to fish/route a wire to this location, especially with the upper tupperware and dash removed.

I have the BRP dash insert blank covers to replace the removed analog gauges. On the left blank cover I drilled a 1 1/8" hole and inserted a USB charger. This is connected to my FZ-1 Fuzeblock.
    Thanks a lot!