Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Angel Fire, New Mexico and Kerrville,Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default How many miles on rear tire

Going on the "Run for the Wall" to Washington DC Over 4000 total miles. I have 4400 miles on the Spyder now, when Will I need a new rear tire on a 2015 RT. Trying to figure out when I will need it. My Harleys only went 5000 miles before I needed a new one,
    2015 RT Limited
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Lazer Alignment
    Duel Flag Holder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The newer oem tires seem capable of lasting for eight to ten-thousand miles...
    You might be able, to make it last that long...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The newer oem tires seem capable of lasting for eight to ten-thousand miles...
    You might be able, to make it last that long...
    Then again, you might not. I just changed out my stock Kenda rear tire on our 2015 RT-S. It may have had about 500 miles left but I was only at 7290. I do ride a bit aggressive and 90% of the time it is two up (extra weight) but you may want to check your "miles to go" for your trip. I was running the recommended 28 psi in the rear and the tire wore out in a strip about 2-1/2" wide right down the middle. You might get some more mileage by reducing the pressure in the rear to allow a bit more wear on the sides but be sure to check the ride characteristics fully loaded if you opt for a pressure reduction for the sake of tire mileage.

FYI, the bike was purchased in June of 2015. I know that there were some "soft compound" Kendas out there but I thought they were only on some of the 2014 models. Never did check the "born" date on the old tire so can't tell you if it was one of those.
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

When in doubt, change it out. Better to go on a trip with new as opposed to maybe.

Mileage will vary. All rear tires (130,000 total miles) have lasted between 11,500 and 13,000. One exception--the 2014 RT-S got 8,500 on the OEM. They changed the compound on that batch--but now they are back to the original.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING: YOUR ACTUAL MILEAGE MAY VARY.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default tire milage

I have a 2013 RTL and got a little over 18k on the original rear tire....I switched to a car tire and have not noticed any wear on the new one. My front tires now have over 21k on them and they are original. Am going to change them out before I go on my trip this summer. Have a great time on your ride.

Angel Fire, New Mexico and Kerrville,Texas
    Spyder Garage

Just checked the tire and its getting thin in the middle. I have an appointment at the Can Am Dealer in St Charles, Mo for oil and filter about 950 miles into the trip. That would be about 5400 miles on the tire. Just called them and payed for a rear tire to be put on. With about 3000 miles left on the trip I will feel better. Thanks for the input. SEMPER FI
    2015 RT Limited
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Lazer Alignment
    Duel Flag Holder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Semperfi66 View Post
    Just checked the tire and its getting thin in the middle. I have an appointment at the Can Am Dealer in St Charles, Mo for oil and filter about 950 miles into the trip. That would be about 5400 miles on the tire. Just called them and payed for a rear tire to be put on. With about 3000 miles left on the trip I will feel better. Thanks for the input. SEMPER FI
    I got 9500 on my 2013 stL just changed it out last week. Like you the middle was shot. Need to monitor your ware and adjust pressure to get more out of it. Dealer told me that the suggested pressure was incorrect, told me to run 26-28 lbs depending on weight.
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm at 12k on my 12' RS and am just getting into the first set of water shed bars. Plenty of tread left.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default How many miles on rear tire

I am in need of a rear tire on my 2013 RT-S. Just over 5000 miles. I have read on here how bad the OEM tire is. I've read how some got 10,000 miles out of them and all kinds of different numbers???!!!??? I'm going to do the OEM this time and keep watch of the air pressure. The bike had 400+ miles when we bought it from the dealer and warranty was/is still good(?). This is our third year. Going to try the Ride On tire balancing liquid. New stem. Will be done on May 4th. mounting and balance and disposal fee and taxes are $331.46. I'm not sure if that is good or not but if not I will shop around next time. Fronts look real good.

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE

I got 10,120 mi. out of the original Kenda, I put a Kumho car tire on about 1,000 mi. ago and I love It. The RT seems to ride and handle better on any type of road..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

The picture is from pg 134 of the 2014 operator's guide. One way to identify the location of the indicators is to look for a small triangle high on the left side of the tire (assuming it was installed in the proper rotational orientation.) that points toward the tread. Examine the circumference of the tire because there are multiple sets; check them all. IMO, if on a long trip it's better to replace with plenty of safety factor than run the tire to the point where it becomes a hydroplaning risk, even if there is tread life left as shown by the indicators. I got 6,800 and 7,655 miles, respectively out of two of the soft compound tires and just this week had a new harder compound tire installed for the trip to Spyderfest. There was some mileage left on both soft compound tires but I was not comfortable with the remaining hydroplaning safety factor. YMMV.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

If it's still above wear bars run it

Spyder Garage

On my 2014 RT got 8000 before it was gone. Move to Vee now and should get 13 to 16K on it

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry

But no one can answer your question. The mileage on your tires really depends on a lot of things. Weight on the tire, passenger? Temps you typically ride in, road surface, air pressure you run, Aggressive rider? Your aggressive might not be what someone else considers aggressive. JMHO
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

On my 2014RTS-SE6 I got 5,824 miles on my rear tire( Kenda) and change to a General Altimax RT 43, tire size: 215/60R15. I am running 26 psi.

The Kenda tire did not have much tread on it, I did not dare to go to far. When in doubt change it. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 05-07-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire 2013 RT Ltd

They put a new tire on the rear when I bought the bike used. It had 9900miles at the time. The new tire is the new compound. I now have 19,955 miles on the odometer so I've put on 10,000 miles and hardly any wear showing. We figure we'll get 20K out of the tire which is real good. Front tires are original and I figure they'll go to 24 or 25K. All this and I don't believe n running them until the bars are in play.

Spyder Garage

Had to change my original tire on my 2015 RT Limited last week with 7,520 miles. It was about shot. Went with a General Altimax 215/60-15. So far so good.
    Zapps
    Pollock, Louisiana
    2015 RT Limited Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I was at around 3800 when I changed to my new Yokohama. I may have been able to get another 1000 but did not want to be thinking about it. Its not like a carry I spare tire in the trunk.
    Last edited by AY4B; 04-22-2016 at 10:01 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

2012 RT- 15,000 Miles - Next one will be Kuhmo for 1/2 Price?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

For what its worth I just installed fobo on my 2013 rt limited and set the pressure at
    Front 18 lbs Rear 28 lbs temperature read 61 to 63 degrees out on the hwy in 72 degree
    weather the fobo alarm sounded so i stopped and checked. The fronts were reading 20.5 and rear
    was reading 32 . I wonder what pressure we may be running on a 100 degree day.
    I love the tpms it saves getting this 80 year old body down on the floor to check tire pressure,
    getting down isn't to bad but getting back up 3 times is .
    Maybe Nitrogen or starting out with a lower pressure might save tire ware. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Ken

Spyder Garage

Default I must be ultra aggressive??

I got about 6000 miles out of the original Kenda rear, switched to Kuhmo Ecsta car tire expecting much longer mileage....I have about 9000 on it and it is about 3/4 worn down and gets zero traction in the rain now, will likely be Slick in 11,000 miles...I guess I will try the altimax next and see if I can get that one to last....My original front tires still have about 40% tread left....I just seem to be extra hard on rear tires.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Exditchdigger View Post
    For what its worth I just installed fobo on my 2013 rt limited and set the pressure at
    Front 18 lbs Rear 28 lbs temperature read 61 to 63 degrees out on the hwy in 72 degree
    weather the fobo alarm sounded so i stopped and checked. The fronts were reading 20.5 and rear
    was reading 32 . I wonder what pressure we may be running on a 100 degree day.
    I love the tpms it saves getting this 80 year old body down on the floor to check tire pressure,
    getting down isn't to bad but getting back up 3 times is .
    Maybe Nitrogen or starting out with a lower pressure might save tire ware. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Ken
    Tires heat up and the pressure increases with the heat - that is entirely normal and is taken into account when manufacturers provide pressure recommendations.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire

I am sitting at close to 9500 miles on my 2014 RTS original rear. I will have to check the tread indicators but the tire has
    shown to be wearing evenly. I am normally "one up" as my wife thinks it has to be 80 to ride

I hope to last the rest of the season and get oil and tire change done at that time. I put about 7000 on it from 7/15 - 11/15 and
    another 2500 from 1/16 - Present.

I will definitely check for the indicators though...didn't know this one to look for as I spend more time riding than RTFM...lol.
    1984-87 Kawasaki GPZ750(1983)
    2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 800(2005)
    2012 Victory V92SC(2009)
    2013 Harley Davidson Road King(1999)
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT-S SM6(2014)
    2014 RTS , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

as others have stated the mileage of the rear tire will vary on riding habits etc..Go on the trip and keep an eye on it..If you need a tire while on the rode stop by a dealer and they should help you out. I don't think you want to bring a spare tire with you..

Mine only last to 5800 miles..Now running the Vee Tire.See how long that lasts..So far its still looking good with over 3 k on it now.

Spyder Garage

Default Replaced My Rear Tire

I just replaced the rear tire on my 2014 RTL this past weekend. Mileage was 13,900.00. Kept it as a spare, as service manager said it still had some miles on it. I generally ride 2 up on my long trips, and keep a close watch on tire pressure. I usually run at 28psi on the rear tire, with my midrange to hard shock setting.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!